Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
The EH3 has less drop at heel than the HTG. I cant get the pad of the HTG into my shoulder from prone. Its too low. The EH3 is more trim than the HTG, its proportions are that of a "sporter" stock.

Interesting.
One thing I forgot to mention is that in the pics I posted the actions are all skidded .5 of an inch forward.
Gives more room on the grip.
Never had any problems with the HTG in the prone position.
But then im 6'6".
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Correct, the EH3 is ambi, just wanted to point out that the SL is not.

The issue with going to a DBM setup is that it further exacerbates the carrying situation. Put enough weight out front where the rifle balances in front of the magazine, thus allowing one handed carry, and you'll have a 9 lb. plus rifle. The entire situation turn into what I like to call "your basic clusterphuck". tired

Yep... The idea of a DBM was simply to make it a fun gun rather than a hunter.

Certainly nothing wrong with a fun gun! I'm just kind of disappointed Manners doesn't build a true slender hunting stock.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm just kind of disappointed Manners doesn't build a true slender hunting stock.
The SL above is easy to carry @ 26oz & compact. Any more "slender", it be best suitable for a midget.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by slg888
I'm just kind of disappointed Manners doesn't build a true slender hunting stock.
The SL above is easy to carry @ 26oz & compact. Any more "slender", it be best suitable for a midget.

The EH3 is pretty light as well. I put it on the scales and don't remember the exact weight but it was in the mid-20's. Weight is pretty close to an Edge stock, but the Edge pattern is much slimmer in the forend, action area, grip, and butt. The EH3, even though it's light, is a bigger stock overall...which isn't a bad thing when riding over a rest, snuggling up on a kicker, etc. To me, when carrying one in my hand, the slimmer the better (it really helps to have a rounded bottom on the action area). If you spend most of your time carry one slung over your shoulder then it would be less of an issue.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Manners thrill me not for a hunting stock.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DBM's are just for fun....and any rifle that weighs more than 6.5 pounds is a worthless belly gun.

Some of you guys really crack me up.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Are you phugging kidding me? Ever hold a Kimber Montana?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
DBM's are just for fun....and any rifle that weighs more than 6.5 pounds is a worthless belly gun.

Some of you guys really crack me up.

Just my preference... I've no love for DBM for the way I use a rifle. Rifle will shoot just as well with them or without them, I just like a blind mag. I don't care much for scoped short action hunting rifles over 6.5-7lbs for the way I hunt...of course heavier will shoot just as well or better, but for the hunting I do more weight gains nothing. Just my preference for the way I hunt.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Are you phugging kidding me? Ever hold a Kimber Montana?
Yep, I've owned one. Ever carried a Manners SL hunting? I'm not comparing SL & Kimber, just reffering to your comment "true slender hunting stock".

Left to right. Mcmillan Edge compact, Manners SL, Mcmillan Mnt Rifle, Mcmillan Classic. Actuallly the Manners SL is slimmer between trigger guard/ft action screw vs the others. It's not Kimber, although IMO all the stocks below are "true slender hunting stocks" as you mentioned. This is my 2nd SL and the quality is excellent but not cheap.....think it goes for $590.00 now.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The flat bottom kills any notion of being "slim". Kinda like when a slender little lass gains 20 lbs. of gut. Messes up the feel. On a thicker gal, that weight would go unnoticed, as it would blend into the natural curves. FWIW, I pretty much despise the Mcmillan Mountain Rifle stock in ADL form as well, as it's belly is too squared off for the likes of me.

Don't get me wrong, I can and would work with all of the stocks pictured below (though no SL for me, as I'm a lefty). But when spending $500+ on a stock, it had better be what I want. If the only option is a big compromise, I'd rather just stick with the factory stock and save my money.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Any chance of someone getting the SL on the story board?

Empirical results rule!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the comparison pics, btw.

Complaining about the flat bottom might sound a little whiney, but is not this entire custom rifle game simply a process of getting exactly what we want? If we were all content with what is available, we could all buy Ruger Americans in 30-06 and be content. That's not going to happen with the looney crowd.

Afermarket synthetics don't have the variety of fitting options available as a wood stock, which could be shaped to the individual. So those of us in the market for fine synthetics discuss the finer points of fit, and must work with what is available or get the builders to make what we want....aka the Hunters Edge with a higher comb!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The flat bottom kills any notion of being "slim".
Never really noticed or sit & stroked my stocks, although their primarily all flat on the bottom. Guess if someone wants a perfect rounded stock they could have a Louisville Slugger milled out to fit a barreled action. laugh

I use a rifle sling so could care less what the degree of curvature on my sporter stocks are. That SL in pic will be a 6BR/#4 Kreiger/Pierce action soon. smile

Thanks for the comparison pics
No Problem, I've had couple PM's asking about the SL, maybe the pics will help others get a good idea for comparison. Some may not know but Manners will ship stocks to your home to check'em out before purchasing.

Last edited by slg888; 10/01/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sit and stroke mine all the time........................

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 300MAG
And probably your boyfriends too. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300MAG
And probably your boyfriends too. laugh

Never leave your wingman hangin'..................

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a sling as well, but often carry one handed when the game is afoot. That's not really the point. The point is that spending big money on a stock, one should get better ergonomics than a plank with a recoil pad. The Manners stocks I've been around worked great for the belly guns everybody seems to be into these days, but felt funky for general use. So I'll take my money elsewhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a sling as well, but often carry one handed when the game is afoot. That's not really the point. The point is that spending big money on a stock, one should get better ergonomics than a plank with a recoil pad. The Manners stocks I've been around worked great for the belly guns everybody seems to be into these days, but felt funky for general use. So I'll take my money elsewhere.

Not sure if you'll ever find a custom stock from any manufacturer that actually fits you 199% perfectly - its kinda of a give and take with these stocks. Find one the fits the best and then roll with it!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just built a rifle with a Manners EH-1. I kinda feel the same way about the stock's eye appeal and esthetics. My gunsmith feels the same but says the stocks are good and stiff and a rifle built on them will be accurate.

I haven't shot it yet but am about to start development. Ergonomically, the stock really feels good to tell you the truth. The comb is high enough, which has been a problem for me with hunting rifles. I like to have a solid cheek weld. All of my target guns are on McMillan A-5's with an adjustable comb. I really dig them.

I had won the new tactical stock Manners came out with a couple of years ago at the Snipers Hide Cup, but traded it back to them for this EH-1 for the Hunting rifle build. I chose it because of the comb. It's perfect for a 40mm objective scope on Leupold dual dovetails.

I think I'm gonna like it.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am expecting a MCS-TA to show up next week. This will be my 1st Manners and truthfully I really hope I like the stock.

I have been using the McMillan Sako Hunter and Varminter for a while now. I still like them but I do not like the extended wait and its always nice to have another option.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.