Print Thread
Hop To
G
grnmtn Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
so on my m70 ewss, i have talley lightweight extended lows and the leupold vx-3. i love the compact size and weight, but the shorter tube means that when i naturally mount the rifle, i need to then stretch my neck/head forward another 1/2" or so to get a proper sight picture. i have the scope mounted as far to the rear as possible with modifying the talley front base, which would only gain me another 1/8" at most.

how does the zeiss compare with regards to mounting? i was originally going to buy the 2-10 hd5, but figured the vx-3 would do everything i wanted and be smaller and lighter as well. however, it's a pain (literllay) to use, and i'm wondering if the hd5 offers greater adjustability in mounting.

anyone have any first hand experience with both? side by side pics? similar experience with the vx-3?

Last edited by grnmtn; 01/05/14.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you really want the best of both worlds, light weight, low profile and great eye relief to avoid the crouching forward, pick up a Zeiss 2.5--8X32mm.

Pass on the hd-5....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I disagree I hated the Zeiss 2.5-8. The eye box was critical for me and not comparable to my other Zeiss scopes but maybe I got a lemon. I have been wanting to try a 2.5-8 Leupold but am ordering a Diavari so that's out for now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for one thing the leupold isn't really 2.5x on the low end leupold has long lied about their actual power ratings, with the zeiss you get 2x on the low end and 10x on the high, that extra power on the upper end is nice for shooting at the range, the low end will offer more FOV on the low end. the ziess is alot better scope.

G
grnmtn Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
cumminscowboy, that's another gripe about the leupold. the high end isn't a full 8x either.

i'm close to just ordering the zeiss, but really would like to know how it mounts up compared to the leupy. tube length in particular, and length between turret and the start of the objective bell.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cant help you on the tube length, but the HD5 is a good deal better than the vx3 optically. Low light and clarity. Not saying the vx3 is bad, its not. The hd5 is a good bit better though. Most of the zeiss scopes I've owned did not give me problems as far as the eye box. I had no real problems, actually finding most not that critical.

Last edited by gunchamp; 01/05/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, I love the vx3. No flies on it. Probably will be the next couple scopes I buy. I have also found them to be able to mount up easily, very forgiving eye box.

G
grnmtn Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
the vx3 is decent glass for the money. if it weren't for the fit issue, i wouldn't even consider anything else for my purposes.

anyone out there have measurements for the zeiss hd5 2-10x42?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't have measurements handy, but I own the 2.5-8 VX3, and have fondled the HD5 several times. The HD5 is much bulkier, huge ocular.

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conquest-hd5-2-10x42-plex-522611-9920-000.aspx

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-2-5-8x36mm/

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you like the scope why not keep it and change your mounting arrangement? I like the Talley Lightweights and own a few but have other mounts on various rifles as well. It would certainly be less expensive than a new scope!

IC B3

G
grnmtn Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
LJB3, that may be the route i take. i really like the talley lightweights, but have though about a pic rail and separate rings. that would give me much more adjustability, without adding much weight, bulk, or money to the setup. it just looks a bit out of place for my tastes. any mounting options you could recommend?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sell the Leupie 2.5-8 and get their 3.5-10. Much better scope for ease of use and eliminates the problems you're encountering.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had good luck with the Leupold Dual dovetails. They come in various extended versions. The steel Talleys come in extended versions as well and of course there is the DNZ which are rather ugly to me but sound pretty reliable from what I have read.

I know a lot of people seem to look down on them these days but on my own Model 70 which is a Pre-64 .300 H&H with the narrow cut out in the rear receiver bridge. The only mount that worked for me and got the scope securely mounted where I wanted it was the plain old one piece Redfield/Leupold mount with the windage screws on the back and the dovetailed ring in the front. I know they are not supposed to be all that strong compared to many others but that rifle has remained dead on for the past 16 years with no adjustment. And it is no safe Queen either, it has seen lots of use and has its share of knocks. Also it may humor you to know that the scope I have mounted on it is a 2.5-8x Leupold and I wouldn't change a thing honestly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sell the Leupie 2.5-8 and get their 3.5-10. Much better scope for ease of use and eliminates the problems you're encountering.

And that is an option too. I have high regard for that scope.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The eyebox works so much nicer IMO, and it mounts easier, for only a couple of more ounces. All gains.

G
grnmtn Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
dakotadeer, now i'm looking hard at that 3.5-10x40. with some playing around i figure ideally i need to move the scope to the rear about a half inch. the 3.5-10 has another .7" of tube ahead of the turrets and should mount up nicely. the talley extended front ring/base sits right at the front edge of the action cut in the receiver, so without a mount that covers a decent portion of that cutout, i won't be able to move the 2.5-8x far enough to the rear.

my only qualm is that i really like the low end of the 2.5, so jumping up to 3.3 on the low end doesn't thrill me. at only 1.2 ounces more and a mere 4mm more objective, it seems the weight and bulk are not much different, which is a plus.

thanks for the input thus far fellas.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I should say the eye box on my other Zeiss scopes where great and really easy to get behind. My little 1.8-5.5 x38 was also just as bright as a 56mm 30mm tube VX3 and brighter than a 50mm 30mm tube VX3 after last light. Not sure why as I had heard the 56 was a great lowlight scope and costs quite a good deal more than the Conquest. Maybe it is just my eyes though.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my only qualm is that i really like the low end of the 2.5, so jumping up to 3.3 on the low end doesn't thrill me.

grnmtn I really like being able to turn down to 2 or 2.5 power too. Yes there really isn't much difference from 3.5 but I do find myself in pretty thick cover at times and just prefer having that feature. Although it is a good bit more expensive and a 30mm tube, have you considered looking at a VX6 2-12X ? I mounted one of these on one of my Weatherby's and have been very pleased with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 67 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.