Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone recommend a drop camp for rifle elk? Preferably not in grizzly country.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's pretty much going to be impossible to do in western montana ecept maybe down in the bitteroot valley south of missoula. Are you looking for an Outfitter to take you in.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Outfitter, pack us in, have a camp already setup, hunt for a week and then picked backup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never hunted with him but talked to some that have and they liked it. http://www.elkoutfitters.com/

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks 1

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
welcome,good luck

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Apparition

Why no griz? That makes life interesting.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Apparition

Why no griz? That makes life interesting.
That kind of interesting I can live without lol.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Scott Boulanger, from two bear outfitters is whom I had in mind. He has area's in the bitteroot's that have no grizz.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd pick a different state is you're worried about grizz.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd pick a different outfitter. Besides, the Root is FULL of wolves. mtmuley

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Bitteroot would not be my first choice..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
where are you gonna do a drop camp in montana that doesn't have grizz or wolves!!!!!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Im looking at Indian Summer Outfitters, the reviews on bowsite are outstanding, its in the Bitteroots so wolves maybe an issue, but I dont think there near as bad as there are in unit 17 in Idaho.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How much are drop camp hunts? Most really good outfitters won't do them. Why would a good outfitter drop inexperienced hunters into an area that he is trying to take guided hunters? I just don't understand the logic of the concept. Am I mising something here? Unless he is dropping them into his nieghboring Outfitters country.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How much are drop camp hunts?
Generally about $2,000

Most really good outfitters won't do them. Why would a good outfitter drop inexperienced hunters into an area that he is trying to take guided hunters?
Who says they are inexperienced? Who says they are in the same area, one can be in the next square over and be plenty far away. Especially, when packing in.

I just don't understand the logic of the concept.
Man hours are expensive, if you have a paying customer willing to do much of the work you can leverage your staff where best needed and scale the business.

Am I missing something here?
Yes. Drop camps are a great option for guys who want a wilderness/pack-in hunt on their own but don't have the stock/gear to do so.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
JrYoung, So, you have been in the outfitting and guiding busness and live in the West? I have been for many years. All I am getting at is In MT and WY with the hunting seasons being long, a good reputable Outfitter is not going to dick with drop camps for $2000 a pop. When he can get $4000 or 5000 for a guided trip. Again, Be carefull when booking drop camps and understand that they will not be in the best areas. Colorado may be different with their shot seasons.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You should have noted that before then (MT/WY specific compared to CO...WY outfitters obviously control the wilderness for NRs). I'm not interested in guided/drop camps, I can understand why drop camps are attractive for someone that knows how to hunt. I can also understand why guided trips are better for others that have a little more cash and never hunted the west before.

I crunch numbers, and to me if you don't have the resources (good quality guides/stock) several drop camps seem like a reasonable way to make about the same margin. To boot, you mitigate some of the risk of having a jackass guide giving you a bad rep.

Last edited by jryoung; 01/10/14.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jryoung
How much are drop camp hunts?
Generally about $2,000

Most really good outfitters won't do them. Why would a good outfitter drop inexperienced hunters into an area that he is trying to take guided hunters?
Who says they are inexperienced? Who says they are in the same area, one can be in the next square over and be plenty far away. Especially, when packing in.

I just don't understand the logic of the concept.
Man hours are expensive, if you have a paying customer willing to do much of the work you can leverage your staff where best needed and scale the business.

Am I missing something here?
Yes. Drop camps are a great option for guys who want a wilderness/pack-in hunt on their own but don't have the stock/gear to do so.

This makes sense to me^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd do a drop camp hunt before I'd do a guided hunt.

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 01/10/14.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
This will be my 6th DIY elk hunt, 2 of which were solo. While Im not an elk expert, I do alright and know how to hunt them. The main reason I want to do a drop camp is because Im taking my girlfriend and would like her to have a litte more comfort than what we can carry on our backs. While I realize that some outfitters wont put you in good hunting areas, some will, Ill do my due diligence, like most things, you get out what you put in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 22magnut, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,643
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.