-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never really thought about attempting long range shooting with a .22LR, but after reading this thread and giving it a thunk, it makes sense.

Shooting a .22LR at 300+ yards seems like a great way to learn about reading the wind, and a hell of lot more economical to boot. My kids will no doubt have some fun with it.

Got a CZ 455 American synthetic, DIP 25MOA extended rail, Warne Maxima low rings, and a Super Chicken 10x MRAD in route. grin

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I personally get a bigger kick out of long range shooting with a 22 than with the big guns. No recoil and little noise = fun.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by IDMilton
For those of hunting the SS scopes, are the turrets getting moved on you when you don't intend them to? I hunted a scope with an exposed elevation turret and hated it. It got moved on my pack, in alders, coming out of the case, etc.

I've had the same experience. I've only had my SS fixed on one rifle one time when I was out hunting, and it got bumped and moved me a couple clicks of windage. I saw it and put it back, but this experience plus my experience having it move in a comp are prime reasons I look hard for locking turrets. AFAIK, SWFA SS scopes do not offer this feature, but perhaps some of the newer ones do.

My main concern is what all that weight will do to a hunting rifle that is under 7 naked.

It'll make it several ounces heavier. wink

(T)hen I worry (considering the SS 3-9 and 3-15) if the FF plane reticle is too small at low power in dim light and if it covers too much of the target at high magnification.

It doesn't cover any more of the target at high mag than it does at low mag; that's how FFP works. wink

I have a non-SS scope with a reticle very similar to the mil-quad SWFA uses now. It's NOT a good choice for hunting at lowest magnification in dark/thick conditions unless you turn on the illumination. The reticle is too thin, making it tough to pick up against dark brush/branches/whatever without illumination help. The mil-quad _may_ be a bit better, if the 3 solid bars around the top 3 points of the crosshair are heavy enough.

The mil-quad style of reticle is GREAT for precision/tactical rifle comps and similar situations, which is what it was designed primarily for. I don't like it so much for hunting. Obviously, this is a matter of opinion/preference.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shane,

I've long been a fan of live centers and as far as I'm concerned,ALL rings should wear 'em.

The ability to center windage alone,is a huge advantage.

'ology,

It's funner than that.(grin)

This kinda goes back to what I term the 1:1 Wind Ratio...the distance at which a 10mph full value wind,shifts impact 10MOA. With the above Anschutz and the pallet of ammo I'm whistlin' through it,that threshold is at the 210yd line. Often intellesting to extrapolate that ratio,to other boolits/chamberings,if only as a barometer of relative evaluation.

Prepare to schit your pants,via the newfound fun. My only wish is,that my Anschutz wore a 50MOA rail,so I could eek even more goody outta the equation.

It's a riot!

'goat,

The LR Rimfire Tourney is a gas. The bastard with the best ammo,best dope and most erector/reticle latitude...do reliably win.(grin)

It's ALL about the wind.

Hurricane here currently,shot this frame but minutes ago.

[Linked Image]

It's rough.(grin)

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I never really thought about attempting long range shooting with a .22LR, but after reading this thread and giving it a thunk, it makes sense.

Shooting a .22LR at 300+ yards seems like a great way to learn about reading the wind, and a hell of lot more economical to boot. My kids will no doubt have some fun with it.

Got a CZ 455 American synthetic, DIP 25MOA extended rail, Warne Maxima low rings, and a Super Chicken 10x MRAD in route. grin

Might as well get a Yodave trigger kit on the way also. grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Might as well get a Yodave trigger kit on the way also. grin

Got one in route. grin

Damn good thing I have a sheit load of .22LR ammo on hand as the boys are going to put a serious dent in my hoard!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't buy extra clips, they have to reload every five and it slows them down. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You aren't kidding! When I first bought them a S&W M&P-22 they went through 5k CCI mini-mags the first weekend. As hard pressed as it is to find affordable .22LR, they'll have to slow down a bit.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MZ5

I've had the same experience. I've only had my SS fixed on one rifle one time when I was out hunting, and it got bumped and moved me a couple clicks of windage. I saw it and put it back, but this experience plus my experience having it move in a comp are prime reasons I look hard for locking turrets. AFAIK, SWFA SS scopes do not offer this feature, but perhaps some of the newer ones do.

Put a zero-stop on it. Give it a twist when you get ready to shoot. Snipers are trained to look at the turret when they flip the safety off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MZ5,
Thanks for responding to my questions.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You aren't kidding! When I first bought them a S&W M&P-22 they went through 5k CCI mini-mags the first weekend. As hard pressed as it is to find affordable .22LR, they'll have to slow down a bit.

thats the truth ... a MKII or 10/22 makes short work of a brick.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Put a zero-stop on it. Give it a twist when you get ready to shoot. Snipers are trained to look at the turret when they flip the safety off.

Agreed, and that's basically how I found and fixed it (except I didn't/don't have a zero-stop shim in it). I just prefer to have 'em lock.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I finally got my 3-9 mounted and to the range yesterday. I am impressed. I have minimal experience with a ffp scope, and none with mil quad.

I was shooting several rifles, and the glass seemed at least as good as a VXII 3-9X40 I had with me. Sighting in at 200 took three rounds: one at 50 to make sure I was on paper and make minor adjustments, one at 200, measure the point of aim to point of impact difference on the reticle and dial it in for a bullseye on the third round. I reset the turrets to zero, and started shooting groups.

If it is as tough and reliable as others have said, I think I'm going to have a new favorite scope. I'll stretch its legs a little more at longer range in a few weeks, once I get a little time!

Last edited by Crowkiller; 01/11/14. Reason: add scope model

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MZ5
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Agreed, and that's basically how I found and fixed it (except I didn't/don't have a zero-stop shim in it). I just prefer to have 'em lock.

I agree, I'd prefer to have a cap myself. I don't like M1's for the same reason, but a zero-stop is the remedy, sort of.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Crow, which SS did you buy?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TAK, I bought the 3-9X42 on sale black Friday. I'm looking at the 3-15 next.

I just edited my previous post to correct my oversight.

Last edited by Crowkiller; 01/11/14.

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
TAK, I bought the 3-9X42 on sale black Friday. I'm looking at the 3-15 next.

I just edited my previous post to correct my oversight.

I'm looking hard at the same two scopes.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm digging the SWFA 3-9.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I personally get a bigger kick out of long range shooting with a 22 than with the big guns. No recoil and little noise = fun.

If you enjoy rimfire long range, never give it a try with a subsonic suppressed 300 whisper or blackout. While cheap on powder (8 grs of bluedot) I have burned through 500 208 A-max in an afternoon of plinking. I stock up on blems when I find them for that reason.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If they would trash the windage knob and get the ZS shim worked out it'd be all good!

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.