Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The upper loops look like they'd interfere with shouldering a rifle.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There are two, a nice one in 8mm Mauser (so that's out) and the other in 303 but it's not quite in the condition I want. Both are over on Guns International

i see a handful pop up a year on the various sites.....always when i cant afford them cry

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What caliber are you looking for in the suspenders?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
303ish...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would you take the Lee ZSpeed to Zim?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Not for the cat, I wouldn't want to ruin the looks with a scope and I wouldn't want to hunt the cat w/o a scope. Man there's a WR in 318 at the WR website for about 8 Large that's calling me, but I can't do Africa and that rifle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love that combo, but big bucks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fjold
The upper loops look like they'd interfere with shouldering a rifle.

Ditto!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's so cool the folks get to play dress up and make believe in Africa, all the time not being to worried about DG since there are a few backups around.

That's hunting!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not for the cat, I wouldn't want to ruin the looks with a scope and I wouldn't want to hunt the cat w/o a scope. Man there's a WR in 318 at the WR website for about 8 Large that's calling me, but I can't do Africa and that rifle!

How about I send you the one on the right as a loaner, an 8x57 Walther Mauser. Near new, never blooded and really needing to kill something. Shoots fine out to 200 yards with my eyes and the 180 gr BT. Take a little finagling as I am down here but I am sure I can make it work, seriously. For leather, I am sold on Murray's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's so cool the folks get to play dress up and make believe in Africa, all the time not being to worried about DG since there are a few backups around.

That's hunting!

We carry a round in the chamber (as did Col Patterson) so no need for backup, unless of course one's a bad shot....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's hunting!

Sarcasm from one who's never been.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

That's hunting!

Screwing up the shot on a bull elephant at close range, a dead hunter and trackers is a real possibility - even with proper PH backup. Probably wise to with hold an opinion til you've been a few yards from a band of Hwange bulls or a herd of angry cows.

No attempt to insult you, just offering a first hand observation.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Col. Patterson, being an Army engineer and not in Africa to hunt, used what he had: An Enfield .303 and, when he borrowed it from a visiting friend, a double with one faulty firing pin. I've seen Enfield sporters, by makers such as BSA, for less than a grand. So, if you feel lucky, the lions await you.

Don't mind me, I'll be back here shooting whitetails.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually it was a Farquarson single action that had the faulty firing pin. There's a lesson in there...somewhere/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually a fair bit of difference between a Lee Speed and a BSA sporter.....kinda like the difference between a 93/95 and a 98 Mauser grin they use different actions.. a Lee Speed should be based on the "Long Magazine" Lee Enfield, the first generation of the action(forget the name and not turning on the light and waking up the wife to check my reference books) the BSA sporters are based on the SMLE, Short Magazine Lee Enfield.....

Last edited by rattler; 11/01/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Damn fashionable.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM

How about I send you the one on the right as a loaner, an 8x57 Walther Mauser. Near new, never blooded and really needing to kill something. Shoots fine out to 200 yards with my eyes and the 180 gr BT. Take a little finagling as I am down here but I am sure I can make it work, seriously. For leather, I am sold on Murray's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed, that truly is a gorgeous rifle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/987649-BSA-Commercial-Rifle-303***Lee-Speed-(post)***

Thoughts on this rifle? Is it really a "Lee Speed". Thought of this thread when I perused the add. No sights. No mag. Drilled and tapped for a side mount.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.