Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by WapitiBob

Kifaru has the Nomad for 2014. Compresses flat, batwing design with sleeves, and a frame that provides lift.

Had not heard of that one. Looked it up. I'd wondered if K-land would continue to ignore Hill People Gear's well thought out pack/compression panel system and the Nomad obviously says not. The HPG drybag/pack compression panel is elegant, the Nomad is a Rube Goldberg contraption. When I first saw it, I said to myself, "At least it doesn't have a damn sleeping bag zipper for those noon naps", but they even thought of that too. In a roll-top DRYBAG no less. Who the hell puts a zipper in a drybag? That's like putting screen doors on a submarine.

Luke beat me to it, but would also like to hear more about your packing experience with HPG packs.

Cue the crikets.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
TAK's hard-on for Kifaru is exceeded only by his hard-on for Kimber......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
noknees,

I will say for hauling the 2800 handles weight actually better than the badlands sacrifice having actually owned and used both. My preference for a day pack between the two easily goes to the 2800 with a view more exterior pocket options for accessing different items faster while day hunting.

If you aren't looking to spend a pile of money and really if you are mainly just day hunting 2-3 miles from the road I really don't see a need to spend $500+ on a super hauler to pack a deer out once or twice a year. You might look into the Osprey Aether 70. Plenty of space to haul out a deer and your daypack gear and will do so more comfortably than really most "hunting" packs in that price and weight class. Comes in a green color which may or may not work for you. Also the REI Flash 62 is a good option as well.

Both the Osprey Aether and REI flash 62 have served me well on day hunts as well as carrying out an animal each with those.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend really can option some other options such as paradox/Kifaru which frames are super comfy and light considering their light weight. I'd also look at stone glacier when it comes to lightweight haulers as well. But all of these are going to set ya back better than $400.

Good luck to you out there.

This is closer to what I am looking for.

I agree that the 2800 seems to carry weight plenty well.

I was also wandering about one of the granite gear packs (maybe the blaze AC 60). I can deal with meat inside the pack and a little discomfort from an over loaded pack for an hour walk out seems a good trade for a very light and compact able pack.

I have a granite gear vapor trail that I carried on a number of longer hikes (Muir, Long trail and AT) through hikes. Its close to what I would want but I wonder if it would hold up to the brush. I would use the vapor trail, but its close to spent.

I typically carry my essentials in a little zippered pouch and my spare clothes in a stuff sack,as I tend to move between packs and hunting styles frequently and it makes it easy to move things around. So I rather like a simple pack with few or no pockets to confuse things.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The 2800 carried weight well for me, until about halfway through a 2 mile pack out of a spike elk. The bat wings started to rip where they meet the main compartment and I had to paracord the stupid thing to make it work.

Sent it in for repairs, I was hoping they would replace it. The sewed it back up, and I promptly tore the material packing another elk. I gave the pack away because I didn't want to deal with the hassle again.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by noKnees

I have a granite gear vapor trail that I carried on a number of longer hikes (Muir, Long trail and AT) through hikes. Its close to what I would want but I wonder if it would hold up to the brush. I would use the vapor trail, but its close to spent.

I had a Vapor Trail that literally disintegrated with only a few hundred miles use. The packbag fell apart. Silnylon isn't pack material, IMO. The way Kifaru does it (or used to) with two layers might work, but not one.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Its always about male loins with you, ain't it? Kifaru makes what is probably, IMO anyway, the best int/ext frame/waistbelt ever devised. Patrick Smith is, as Elbow over at K-site stated, the "T.A. Edison" of packs. I don't care for the pack BAGS he makes, as he likes zippers and I don't.

Right now I own five Kifaru packs, never had a single problem with any of them, and if I did, I'm sure it would get fixed, no questions asked, just like Lanche's KU 5200 did when he tightened a ratchet strap down directly on top of a silnylon KU5200 on a 4-wheeler infill and wore a hole in it, duhhhhh?

Personally I can't say the same for Kimber. They [bleep] me without a kiss.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Browtine

Luke beat me to it, but would also like to hear more about your packing experience with HPG packs.

Cue the crikets.

I just got my Ute. I've had all the HPG goodies on a G1 Longhunter, the Prarie Belt, the HPG shoulder harness, compression kit and panel (the Tara Pocket) for about a year. That is what I use for my PT rucksack walks. I've not carried over 80# with it because I don't plan to carry more than that, though you know as well as I the Longhunter is man enough if you are. No, I've not had an animal in either one yet, as their is this phenomenon called work that I'm afflicted by, as I now have two daughters in college. You can un-cue the crickets now azzhole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Right now I own five Kifaru packs, never had a single problem with any of them, and if I did, I'm sure it would get fixed, no questions asked, just like Lanche's KU 5200 did when he tightened a ratchet strap down directly on top of a silnylon KU5200 on a 4-wheeler infill and wore a hole in it, duhhhhh?

Actually I never strapped that pack down with a ratchet strap ever. The holes came about from setting it down on the shale loaded with part of a caribou while taking a break.

Patrick attributed it to us putting them in the back of our Polaris 6x6 which we do at times to begin our hikes further back. If you've seen a Polaris 6x6 with a rack on the back you'd see strapping it back there is not required.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Actually I never strapped that pack down with a ratchet strap ever. I know Patrick said that in the video but that is simply NOT the case. The holes came about from setting it down on the shale loaded with part of a caribou while taking a break.

Patrick simply did not believe that it was caused by a abrasion from alder/rock. So he attributed it to us putting them in the back of our Polaris 6x6 which we do at times to begin our hikes further back. If you've seen a Polaris 6x6 with a rack on the back you'd see strapping it back there is not required.

I stand corrected. Kifaru did fix it though, didn't they?

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 12/23/13. Reason: added info
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep...shipping it down there is always $45 each way. Price you pay for living in America's largest playground wink
But they certainly fixed it and will continue to as long as my wife keeps using them and putting small holes in them. But she likes it and going from an MR 6500 the year after she broke her leg on a goat hunt kept an extra 7-8 pounds off her back right there..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
You can go Paradox and a dry bag and it's a sub $400 setup.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the new options too, including the new size Talons (I'm assuming larger than currently available).

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Knees- Ive carried 2 small boned out ADK whitetails in a Kifaru Lateseason before. G1 no less....the G2s have a tick longer stays. I'm not a fan of hunting around here with anything taller than that. My fav. is my G1 Siwash...about perfect for dayhunting back in with the capability to carry some weight on the way out.

I shoulda bought one of the the KU 3700's when they were around. They were likely the perfect pack for hunting around here....oh well...that ship has sailed.

I'd bet I could get along real well with the LS and some KU pods though...

Last edited by ken999; 12/23/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ken999

I shoulda bought one of the the KU 3700's when they were around. They were likely the perfect pack for hunting around here....oh well...that ship has sailed.

I do not agree, and I own a KU3700. I almost sold it but the thing is so comfortable I decided to keep it for a hiking pack. It has 24in stays. A G2 Late-Season has 24in stays. An HPG Ute has 24in stays. There is a reason they all arrived at that number, it is the shortest stay that actually provides some shoulder lift. Obviously I favor the Ute since I bought one.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Late Season would be my vote!

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Kifaru has the Nomad for 2014. Compresses flat, batwing design with sleeves, and a frame that provides lift.

Had not heard of that one. Looked it up. I'd wondered if K-land would continue to ignore Hill People Gear's well thought out pack/compression panel system and the Nomad obviously says not. The HPG drybag/pack compression panel is elegant, the Nomad is a Rube Goldberg contraption. When I first saw it, I said to myself, "At least it doesn't have a damn sleeping bag zipper for those noon naps", but they even thought of that too. In a roll-top DRYBAG no less. Who the hell puts a zipper in a drybag? That's like putting screen doors on a submarine.

TAK,

The Camp Bag is not a "dry bag". If it was a dry bag, we would have called it "The Kifaru Dry Bag". It was designed from the requests of our customers, as it gives them the ability to access their kit no matter what amount they have in the bag.

It would not have made a lot of sense to offer another dry bag, as you can find those pretty easy on the market today.

I'm not sure what you've seen of the Nomad, but it's a pack with wings (pretty simple), but we made it so you can attach multiple options depending on your mission/hunt. The base of the design is about as simple as you can get.

Have a great 2014!

B
B
Originally Posted by THE_ELK_REAPER

TAK,

The Camp Bag is not a "dry bag". If it was a dry bag, we would have called it "The Kifaru Dry Bag". It was designed from the requests of our customers, as it gives them the ability to access their kit no matter what amount they have in the bag.

It would not have made a lot of sense to offer another dry bag, as you can find those pretty easy on the market today.

I'm not sure what you've seen of the Nomad, but it's a pack with wings (pretty simple), but we made it so you can attach multiple options depending on your mission/hunt. The base of the design is about as simple as you can get.

Have a great 2014!

you sure are nice/diplomatic reaper, I would have told him to kiss my nomads.

Last edited by BruceMT; 01/12/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BruceMT
Originally Posted by THE_ELK_REAPER

TAK,

Have a great 2014!

you sure are nice/diplomatic reaper, I would have told him to kiss my nomads.

Reaper LOVES his TAK! Don't you Aron!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wings, zippers, and buckles are complicated? That's kind if funny...

The Nomad looks sweet. I have a Timberline 2 on the way.

Tanner

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm liking the Nomad. Looks like a good setup.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,480
Posts18,471,781
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.