Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Guys,

I am looking at purchasing an inexpensive ($300 or so) binocular. I have a set of Minox BL 8x42 BR's that I really like. Been using these for all around hunting use. Looking at the 10x's for use at our farm. Field we hunt is roughly 400x600 yds. Wanting a little more magnification. I know that the exit pupil for the 50mm will be larger but is the size and weight trade off worth the increased exit pupil size? Considered some 12x's but figured they wouldn't be great for late in the eveing. Suggestions and reccomendations welcome. Thanks in advance.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The higher the mag, the more stable you need to be. Ever thought about a spotting scope?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
First of all, you should be careful buying cheap 10X binos. There are some good ones, but there are lots of them still that are no sharper than the same glass in 8X.
I've found that one dark days, cloudy, etc., I need at least a 5mm exit pupil to make it until the end of legal shooting light.
50's have another, and I think more important, advantage in 10X binoculars. They are heavier. When used in the field, you can literally see more detail at extended ranges because of this and they aren't as hard on the eyes. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
magshooter1,

I have proven beyond a doubt that an increase in exit pupil does not necessarily improve visibility. I have also proven beyond a doubt higher magnification allows you to see longer in low light than lower magnification.

You need to compare what yo are interested in side by side.

If you want I will post a variable scope or bino's results as low light set in.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Guys,

I am looking at purchasing an inexpensive ($300 or so) binocular. I have a set of Minox BL 8x42 BR's that I really like. Been using these for all around hunting use. Looking at the 10x's for use at our farm. Field we hunt is roughly 400x600 yds. Wanting a little more magnification. I know that the exit pupil for the 50mm will be larger but is the size and weight trade off worth the increased exit pupil size? Considered some 12x's but figured they wouldn't be great for late in the eveing. Suggestions and reccomendations welcome. Thanks in advance.

I've owned 10x50's and 10x42's and I currently have both in various makes and models. Funny thing is, I always have the 10x42's looped over my neck when I'm in the field.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Personally I typically like the 50s over the 42s when I compare strictly optical performance.

With that being said, my next euro brand binos will be 42s because it seems like they bounce less in a Chest harness and to me weight is a factor.

If they are gonna sit in a truck or 4 wheeler, go with the 50s, but if you plan on carrying them on your person, go for the 42s.

Oh and my recommendation for a budget bino would be the vortex diamondbacks, they are quality equipment at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by Jeremybj; 12/24/13.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ringman
magshooter1,

I have proven beyond a doubt that an increase in exit pupil does not necessarily improve visibility. I have also proven beyond a doubt higher magnification allows you to see longer in low light than lower magnification.

You need to compare what yo are interested in side by side.

If you want I will post a variable scope or bino's results as low light set in.

Classic stuff right there.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
42to50 mm is not going to make as much difference as the quality of the optic.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by driggy
The higher the mag, the more stable you need to be. Ever thought about a spotting scope?

Actually I have. But we sometimes hunt two in that stand (wouldn't leave room for a spotter) and the binos could still go when the spotter couldn't. I understand that sometimes less expensive optics at a higher power aren't as good as better optics at lower power. Had a Pentax Lightseeker 3-11x4? scope and targets at 100 yds. were a LOT clearer through my Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32. I remember how surprised I was that I could see better on 8x through a 32mm lens than I could on 11x through a 42 or 43mm lens with adjustable parralax. Came to the conclusion that Zeiss Conquest glass WAS JUST THAT MUCH BETTER than Pentax Lightseeker glass.

How would y'all rate Steiner Predator 10x42 binos? Got a friend that has those and he loves them. Gonna try to borrow those for a hunt sometime.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
magshooter1,

The Steiner Predator glass is designed to bring out animal colors against foliage/brush, etc. They are at their best in the woods/timber, etc.
If the terrain you hunt is more wide open you might be better off with something else.
They are good glass and built to be rugged (as are all Steiners).

As far as the 50mm vs 42mm goes, it depends on your use.
With the same quality glass the 50mm will be brighter to most people's eyes (but not all - everyone see things different thru their particular eyes).
The 42mm is better to carry, especially around your neck.

If you are primarily hunting on the farm and not walking/carrying them long distances, or in rough country where they tend to swing & move around more I'd go with the 50mm (especially sitting in a stand/blind a lot).
Just depends on your uses......................................

Good luck,
-Ted smile

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think I would want to carry the 50s around all day.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I look at it like this....if I were looking through a Swaro 10x50, and the same model Swaro in 10x42, the difference would be miniscule, expecially the older one gets. I know it's true between a Leupold GR 8x42HD and a Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I look at it like this....if I were looking through a Swaro 10x50, and the same model Swaro in 10x42, the difference would be miniscule, expecially the older one gets. I know it's true between a Leupold GR 8x42HD and a Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD.

Very true JG,
The flip side to that is as you get older the heavier glass is easier to hold steady ; always about trade offs.
Personally, if I go to 50mm I step up to 12x50s or 15x56s.
For 10 power I stay with 42mm......................................

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I agree with foogle 100%. Better quality glass trumps any size objective.

But if you are on a budget, spending more isn't always an option.

Other option would be going second hand, which is a great option if you ask me.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jeremybj
I agree with foogle 100%. Better quality glass trumps any size objective.

But if you are on a budget, spending more isn't always an option.

Other option would be going second hand, which is a great option if you ask me.

I have no problem with second hand. A lot of my optics have been picked up this way; some right here on 'the fire'.

These won't be walking around binos. I'll use my 8x42 Minox's for that. These will be strictly for the two stands on the field.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All glass and designs being equal bigger objectives give a better chance of better resolution. Not always true for cheaper glass as evidenced by some of the 56mm roof prism designs.
At $300 I'd take Leupold Rogue 10x50's for under $200 and save for alpha 8x42's.
Higher resolution of alpha glass over higher magnification of cheaper glass every time in my book.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cheap 12x binos will just piss you off. i handed my 8x32mm nikon edg's around to a truck load of guys with leica, swarovski and nikon binos in hand. all were impressed that the little glass did its thing and better than some of the big boys. the moral is, but quality over size. in the $300 range the chineese binos that everyone raves abot might be the answer....if not used quality glass will best cheap big glass EVERY time.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Any body got any input on the Kowa SV series binos? I found these in 10x42, 10x50 and 12x50. I have always heard good things about Kowa.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I recently tested several pairs of binos and was shocked at just how good my 12yo pair of 10x50 Nikon Action binos with scratched glass(lot of years on truck floor boards) stacked up against much more expensive glass. They did so well that I picked up another pair at a local store for $75 OTD.

Binos I compared and ranked from best to worse(In terms of clarity and light transmission at last light):

1: Zen Ray ED2 10x43(By far the best of those tested)
2: Vortex Viper HD 10x42
3: Nikon Action 10x50
4: Nikon Monarch 3 10x42
5: Minox German BL 10x42
6: Bushnell Trophy XLT 10x42
7: Nikon Monarch ATB 10x36
8: Nikon Sporter I 10x36

YMMV, but that was after a good deal of time spent outdoors with each pair. The Nikon Action were the most bang for the buck by far. I sent the Viper HDs back to Vortex and expect a new pair this week. If they don't stack up against the ZRs, down the road...

loder

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Anyone got any experience with any of the Hawke binos or the Vortex Diamback binos? Both offer 10x50 and 12x50 models.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 44 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.