Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What say ya'll as to the best 9mm single stack on the market, or even discontinued?

I have several .45's, but have an itch for a smaller 9. Thinking Sig or maybe the new XD-S by Springfield.

I would like to hear of your experiences with yours both good and bad. Accuracy, ease of takedown and cleaning, ergos, etc...

Appreciate in advance all the help here on the Fire.

Last edited by Mink; 01/14/14.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't know that it's the best, but the 9mm S&W M&P Shield is worth a look.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The S&W Shield runs away with the small single stack 9mm CCW niche in my opinion.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Springfield EMP, they are kinda spendy.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I want a Sig 938 myself.

But I'm a 1911 fan so...

Something clever here.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There are some dandies and I like the XDs, Shield, and Walther PPS. Smaller perhaps the PM-9.

The issue I had with the Shield is that the safety magically engages when I carried it. I like the Shield but I cannot put up with the safety on it, just my personal issue.

On other handguns like my Glock 27 and others I've had the mag release get activated and the mag comes unlatched. No good.

Finally I have went to the overpriced Walther PPS and those issues are nonexistant as it has no safety, the paddle style mag release better retains the mag and there are no retention issues with it. The trigger guard is large and fits my larger style hands much better as does the large backstrap insert.

This is just my experiance from as an common joe type, and I'm certain others will have varying and different experiances.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mink
What say ya'll as to the best 9mm single stack on the market, or even discontinued?

I have several .45's, but have an itch for a smaller 9. Thinking Sig or maybe the new XD-S by Springfield.

I would like to hear of your experiences with yours both good and bad. Accuracy, ease of takedown and cleaning, ergos, etc...

Appreciate in advance all the help here on the Fire.
Near perfect is the Kahr P9. Only possible drawback is that the mag release can be engaged accidentally under recoil due to the grip frame not possessing a raised section to guard against this. The S&W M&P Shield does have a frame with such a raised section, but it has the equally bad drawback of possessing a thumb safety that appears not to have been designed to be used, and shouldn't even be there, since it's not a single action auto pistol to start with, thus doesn't need a thumb safety. Just something else that can go wrong at the worst possible moment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Consider the S&W 3913. The other recommendations are good too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are so many good single-stack compact 9mm's these days. But they vary a lot in trigger style and grip shape. The question is - what kind of trigger are you comfortable with and what fits your hand?

After all these years (mine was one of the first generation), I still have no complaints about the Kahr K9.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Kahr 9 has excellent ergonomics and it's feather light.

IC B3

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did have a Kahr 9, which I traded for a S&W J frame. Just never much cared for the trigger. Great gun otherwise, just not my cup of tea I suppose.

Been thinking hard on a Sig, but not sure if they have a single stack or not. Would love to see them do a P232 in 9mm one day.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I did have a Kahr 9, which I traded for a S&W J frame. Just never much cared for the trigger. Great gun otherwise, just not my cup of tea I suppose.

Been thinking hard on a Sig, but not sure if they have a single stack or not. Would love to see them do a P232 in 9mm one day.
They have the P239 that's single stack, but it's rather large for the type. It's also a traditional double action auto, which some don't like.

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gonna have to go to a shop and log some fondling time I suppose.

Think they will get pissy if I dry fire a half dozen guns or so? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I fnd that interesting, because I can go back and forth between the K9 and the J-frame without any real difference. The triggers are pretty similar in feel. What is it about the Kahr that you didn't like? Was it a micro?

BTW - any gun shop that won't let you dry-fire a centerfire handgun (using safe practices, of course) doesn't deserve your money. If you can't inspect the gun - including feeling the trigger - you might as well be buying online.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I fnd that interesting, because I can go back and forth between the K9 and the J-frame without any real difference. The triggers are pretty similar in feel.
That's how I see it, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember trying a friends K9 that was one of the very first made. It was a blued version and the trigger was a little rough. By the time they brought out the electroless nickel version (which mine was), they had that fixed and it was "S&W smooth". All the newer versions I have tried have been the same or better.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Kahr fills the 9mm slot in my rotation.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mine was a P9 as I remember it. Just a very heavy trigger, more so than my J-frames IMO.

Just never warmed to it, but I like 1911's and BHP's as well.

Now that Sig P239 looks interesting to me. Anyone have one and can speak about it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 239 I tried had a DA/Sa trigger (don't know if there are other options). I found the DA pull to be heavier than the Kahr, and I didn't care for the grip shape. They have a reputation for good accuracy and reliability though. I'd call it a personal preference, but I personally dislike DA/SA unless I can carry it C&L. I don't know if the 239 safety lends itself to that.

For the price range, if C&L is your cup of tea, I have heard good reports about the Springfield EMP.

Your Kahr must have been an odd one. I thought the P9 triggers I tried were a slight improvement over the original K-series (slightly shorter travel).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I want a Sig 938 myself.

But I'm a 1911 fan so...

That is the one I would get if I was getting.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.