-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've tried just about ever Compact 9mm on the market. Sig 938 Glock 26, S&W Sheild, Springfields EMP. XDS, Ruger SR9, LC9, Kahr CM-9 Berertta Nano, ect.

That being said, I keep carrying and coming back to the same two handguns.
1st, i absolutely LOVE my Springfield EMP 1911 9mm. Its very Accurate, reliable, fairly light, and it's a 1911. So, of course so I carry cocked & locked, like when toting any of my 1911's that I'm so very familiar with. They are expensive, but worth every penny in my book.

2nd is my little cheap Kahr CM-9. It's also EXTREMELY reliable & plenty accurate for a pocket sized 9mm. Main thing I like is it has a decent carry trigger, no saftey, and it's small enough to fit in the pocket of my Wranglers and not too heavy for discrete carry. And it has much better sights than all the ultra small 9mm's like the Ruger LC9 & Keltec 9. And a better trigger.

I will throw the Glock 19 in there, as I much prefer it over the smaller Glock 26.
I can conceal the Model 19 just as easy as the Model 26, + it has a better grip that fts my hand much better than the 26.
Not to mention 16 rounds vs 11 rounds.

Again, Ultra Reliable, and very accurate. And pretty easy to shoot for all the new CHL shooters I've trained, especially the ones with minimum or no prior handgun experience. Also plenty safe to carry IMO, if you follow the #1 and #2 rule of gun saftey.
#1, ALWAYS treat it as its Loaded, and #2, keep your damn FINGER OFF the Trigger untill you are ready to shoot, and your ABSOLUTELY sure of your Target!

Hope this was helpful, JMHO, though. And it's what I generally recommend to new CHL holders, if they don't won't to carry a revolver, which I usually recommend for a first time handgun owner. wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/15/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I use the Kahr cm9. Nice light gun, few controls, accurate. The only issue I have is fat fingers and a narrowly curved trigger. Got over that quickly.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the EMP and it functions perfectly.

The 938 just seems to fit my mode of carry very well.

The finish on the 938 is holding up with no signs of wear, so far.

I think I got it within 4 months of them first shipping to dealers.

I must have close to 700 rounds on it of several types of hps.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not a great picture, but gives a rough idea of the size of a 9mm Shield to some other "carry" sized guns. The thing that doesn't show in the picture is how thin the Shield is. It completely disappears IWB on the belt and can be carried pretty much with any method that will hide a J-frame - with 3-4 rounds more rounds of ammo on board and much quicker reloads.

Clockwise from top:
- Browning Buckmark 5.5'' (for size reference)
- Glock 19 9mm
- S&W 642 .38 Special
- S&W Shield 9mm
- Glock 30SF .45acp

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a full size M&P in a Galco Skyops for an XD. It doesn't pose any problems for me. A compact may be a little easier. When I buy a pistol I want The whole gun so I don't buy compacts. Nothing against anyone who buys smaller pistols as they do carry easier I just prefer full sizes personally. I will admit to a Smith 49 (A pinned barrel nickle sweetheart too) when I feel lazy and just want to drop something in my pocket.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
If you like plastic guns the Shield is good, but the double stack M&P9C is simply not that much larger.

+1. The most noticeable difference is grip diameter. The Shield diameter is closer to a 1911, while the 9C is between that and a baby Glock.

IME the magazine extension in the 9c and the 8 rnd. mag in the Shield help controllability in both pistols.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Mink Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Consider the S&W 3913. The other recommendations are good too.

Found one on GB at a more than fair price, got her headed my way now.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
x2.

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Consider the S&W 3913. The other recommendations are good too.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A bit out in left field, but I like my H&K P7 PSP the best - because it fits my hand better than any other 9mm I have ever tried. Low bore axis, light recoil, natural pointing, easy field stripping, excellent accuracy. Only down sides: is it is heavier than the plastic pistols, but a good holster and belt helps take care of that, and don't shoot lead bullets in it, they will clog the gas port.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.