Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Riding level and paved is not the ticket, not even close.

Mountain biking without car exhaust up hills low gear standing and grinding away is the answer. Not good in winter, but then much like the brutal hockey training an exercise bike or seasonal gym membership with bikes can get you through those months.

When my son was very young (3-4) I bought a kid trailer. I rode 15 miles with him in that trailer through a mountain trail used by horses and joggers every day with him. We rode rain, flurries and the rare sunshine days in the cascades. Had to get an HID headlight with the short days of winter. It became our routine together.. I have over 13,000 miles on that Santa Cruise bike now. The odometer was a challenge to see how many miles a month I could put on. When he got too big I bought a 1/2 bike that has no front wheel. It clamps to the seat post of the mountain bike. Now at 12, he powers along with me on his own bike. My days are numbered, I can see now he will be waiting on me before too much longer!

I think the thing that most folks lack is a good endurance base. Think of fitness like a pyramid. The bigger your endurance base the higher you can build the pyramid. The way you build strength (height of the pyramid) is through interval training, the problem is you won�t see big gains in interval training unless you have a good base to build off of.

Cycling is probably the best way I know to build a big endurance base while keeping it low impact on the body(easy on the knees, etc.). How do you build a big base? You actually don�t go hard. You ride lots of easy miles for multiple hours at time. Literally for a few months, you don�t go hard, you just try to ride at a moderate pace for more than 2 or three hours at a time. This phase of training actually teaches your body to use fat as fuel source and not sugar/carbs. Fat is the endurance fuel. Sugar and carbs are short lived fuel sources. Also, you are increasing your mitochondrial density during this phase which will allow your legs to go for hours without burning out.

You can build a decent endurance base on a mountain bike, but it is difficult at times to keep your heart rate at reasonable level (but this depends on your terrain). Most Mountain bike racers do their easy base miles on a road bike. You can also do it on trainer, but you will need movies or something to keep you from going crazy.

If you do base miles for a few month and then start to do intervals you will be shocked at how fast your fitness grows. Mountain biking is the ultimate way to do intervals as the terrain typically forces you to peg your heart rate to get over tough sections. Once you have done intervals for a month, with lots of good rest days between the interval days, go back to a base training regime for another month. If you do this periodization a few times in a year you will be stronger than you ever imagined. If you feel you are run down and not gaining, got back to a base training phase and let the body recover. Then hit another interval phase, etc.

You can do this same regime hiking and running and it will have the same affect, but cycling seems to work very well.

If you have road bike use it! If you don�t, try to do your mountain biking on easier trails for your base building phase.

I have completed the Leadville 100 five times and this recipe works for me. Not to mention it has given me the ability to covers tons of miles hiking while elk hunting in Colorado without getting out of breath. This certainly helps when it�s time to pull the trigger and you aren�t gasping for breath!

I realize that base miles take a lot of time, but if you are serious about getting fit��..you need to do them! They will change your life��

Last edited by Pootpeak; 01/17/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I also had reoccurring flu like symptoms, overuse (actually under recovery) injuries, and had plateaued physically. But CF swore that you can't plateau with CF, so I continued. At 6 months I started using my brain again. The love fest with the WOD stopped. I realized to get better that I needed to get stronger. That durability is a huge part of fitness and that your body can not recover and repair when going truly all out every workout, every day. Soon thereafter I was also introduced to another program that was researched, developed, validated and implemented by a sister organization with the help of the best coaches, organizations, and sports medicine professionals in the world. That program found that there was a lot right about CF and a lot wrong with Crossfit.

I'd really like to see the quote from Glassman that says you can never "plateau" with Crossfit methodology. I think he knows about Milo and the calf.

So, your "other program" is Gym Jones?

"your body can not recover and repair when going truly all out every workout, every day" Surprise, surprise, Sgt Carter, who'da thunk it?

On the HOME PAGE under the WOD at the Crossfit site describing the WOD (Workout of the Day) is the quote, "Designed to challenge the world's fittest athletes"

The teaching point there is, if that ain't you, it might just drive your azz into the ground. That is why, over on the left column are the words START HERE. That will take you to Brand X's website, where everyday the WOD is scaled at 3-5 different levels. Also, a quote that appears there EVERYDAY is this, "Being unable to complete tommorrow's workout, because of what we did today, is not in line with our training goals."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cwh2

Along those same lines, you (living in your body every day) are in a unique position to know your particular strengths and weaknesses. So maintain your strengths and put some serious effort into your weaknesses. Most people do the opposite, and rationalize away their weaknesses. They "don't really need cardio" or "don't really need to be stronger". If that is really true, great - if not, why not focus on the things you need to improve on?

There is a difference between pain and injury. Pain is good for you. Not only is it an indication that you are pushing yourself, it conditions you to dealing with pain which many people are really terrible at. "No Pain No Gain" doesn't mean go out there and pull a hamstring but power though it. It means to push yourself. Listen to your body but don't be a pussy. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Best advice in the thread so far.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
I think my saying that hiking the mountains is the best way to prepare for hiking hard whole hunting left a lot open for interpretation. Throughout the year I train as often as school and work permit, usually 5-6 days a week, and so far it has helped me immeasurably with the demanding physical aspect of mountain hunting.

Agreed, same here, but I thought that was obvious in your descriptions of the other stuff you do, besides hiking.

..... however I want those who believe that hiking in the mountains is the best thing for getting in hiking in the mountains shape, to think about that if doing a sport is the best way to get physically better at the sport, why does any professional sport have gyms and put so much emphasis on strength and conditioning?

True, but I don't think anyone on this thread has advocated hiking in the mountains alone as the best way to get into mountain shape. It needs to be done in addition to any gym workout. Yes, professional athletes do strength and conditioning in the gym, but they also practice their sport most every day, which is much more than most "mountain athletes" can manage.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Okay Poot, post some data on your "power". Deadlift, powerclean, 400m run time etc. Better yet, deadlift your body weight ten times, run 400m three times for time. I can do it in a little over seven minutes, and my "cardio" sucks right now. I can stay on a bicycle for two hours without an issue as well.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Okay Poot, post some data on your "power". Deadlift, powerclean, 400m run time etc. Better yet, deadlift your body weight ten times, run 400m three times for time. I can do it in a little over seven minutes, and my "cardio" sucks right now. I can stay on a bicycle for two hours without an issue as well.

If you put the seat back on you'd probably not enjoy it so much.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
T_A_K, with all due respect, we're talking about hauling your ass around in the mountains. If Poot's program allows him to do the Leadville 100 multiple times, and "cover tons of miles hiking while elk hunting in Colorado without getting out of breath," who cares if he can deadlift his body weight ten times or run three 400M's? Is this the Crossfit forum?

Or to put it another way, "Okay T_A_K, post some data on your times for the Leadville 100"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Or to put it another way, "Okay T_A_K, post some data on your times for the Leadville 100"

That ain't EVER gonna happen. To be able to finish a 100 mile race and not be crippled, you've already long ago moved away from a scientifically definable definition of fitness. See the 10 attributes above.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
T_A_K, with all due respect, we're talking about hauling your ass around in the mountains.

So how many of those ten attributes listed above don't apply to humping a ruck around in the mountains?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
T_A_K, with all due respect, we're talking about hauling your ass around in the mountains. If Poot's program allows him to do the Leadville 100 multiple times, and "cover tons of miles hiking while elk hunting in Colorado without getting out of breath," who cares if he can deadlift his body weight ten times or run three 400M's? Is this the Crossfit forum?

Couldn't have said it better myself! Deadlifting tons of weight will build leg strength and a good stong core(which are important), but thats only part of the equatsion to being fit for long days in the field backpack hunting.

Endurnace base training will make you way more powerful in Crossfit. Every "fast 100 yarder and 400 yarder in the olympics does piles of base miles......there is no way to get that fast without em!

IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Most people are pitifully weak, and their situation does not improve with age. Strength does NOT come from endurance training of any kind.

Starting a program to remedy the strength situation does not get any easier with advancing age. If the OP has never done any meaningful strength training via full depth squats, deadlifts, standing press and power clean, then starting out at over 60YO might not be practical. Consider reading "Starting Strength" by Rippetoe - I think he deals with untrained older folk in the text.

"Hunting" is easy. Killing, processing, and packing out is the hard part where real training is helpful. There is no real big secret to mountain hunting preparation for hunting in real mountains with real chutes and slides and rocks and scree:

1. Maintain strength all year with barbell work 3 days per week. Your "workouts" should leave you a bit nauseous if you're doing it right. You won't get nauseous unless you are doing standing exercises with a heavily weighted bar on your back or in your hands (squats, deads, press, cleans). Other lifts and exercises are strictly and completely window dressing. You control ultimate size and strength gain with your diet. Proper technique is mandatory; do not rely on a "trainer" or crossfit gym to teach you to squat and clean. Get real familiar with a video camera and the rippetoe book, or find a real strength coach.

2. In the summer, train by hiking with and without weight on steep ground until your feet, ankles and calves are tough enough to last a hunt on mountains without blister or injury. Do this, and your "cardio" will have taken care of itself.

Crossfit as programmed on the mainpage is confused and misguided. Random training is an oxymoron. Crossfit games competitors don't train with crossfit mainpage programming, and that's a guarantee. You cannot build meaningful strength doing crossfit. Abz and arms don't give you meaningful strength. There is nothing wrong with training some or all of the movements offered in Crossfit, but do so in a manner that makes sense, not at random in a way that can hurt you. Don't do any of the crossfit high rep barbell work until the prescribed weights are PUNY to you.

Originally Posted by Pootpeak
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Riding level and paved is not the ticket, not even close.

Mountain biking without car exhaust up hills low gear standing and grinding away is the answer. Not good in winter, but then much like the brutal hockey training an exercise bike or seasonal gym membership with bikes can get you through those months.

When my son was very young (3-4) I bought a kid trailer. I rode 15 miles with him in that trailer through a mountain trail used by horses and joggers every day with him. We rode rain, flurries and the rare sunshine days in the cascades. Had to get an HID headlight with the short days of winter. It became our routine together.. I have over 13,000 miles on that Santa Cruise bike now. The odometer was a challenge to see how many miles a month I could put on. When he got too big I bought a 1/2 bike that has no front wheel. It clamps to the seat post of the mountain bike. Now at 12, he powers along with me on his own bike. My days are numbered, I can see now he will be waiting on me before too much longer!

I think the thing that most folks lack is a good endurance base. Think of fitness like a pyramid. The bigger your endurance base the higher you can build the pyramid. The way you build strength (height of the pyramid) is through interval training, the problem is you won’t see big gains in interval training unless you have a good base to build off of.

Cycling is probably the best way I know to build a big endurance base while keeping it low impact on the body(easy on the knees, etc.). How do you build a big base? You actually don’t go hard. You ride lots of easy miles for multiple hours at time. Literally for a few months, you don’t go hard, you just try to ride at a moderate pace for more than 2 or three hours at a time. This phase of training actually teaches your body to use fat as fuel source and not sugar/carbs. Fat is the endurance fuel. Sugar and carbs are short lived fuel sources. Also, you are increasing your mitochondrial density during this phase which will allow your legs to go for hours without burning out.

You can build a decent endurance base on a mountain bike, but it is difficult at times to keep your heart rate at reasonable level (but this depends on your terrain). Most Mountain bike racers do their easy base miles on a road bike. You can also do it on trainer, but you will need movies or something to keep you from going crazy.

If you do base miles for a few month and then start to do intervals you will be shocked at how fast your fitness grows. Mountain biking is the ultimate way to do intervals as the terrain typically forces you to peg your heart rate to get over tough sections. Once you have done intervals for a month, with lots of good rest days between the interval days, go back to a base training regime for another month. If you do this periodization a few times in a year you will be stronger than you ever imagined. If you feel you are run down and not gaining, got back to a base training phase and let the body recover. Then hit another interval phase, etc.

You can do this same regime hiking and running and it will have the same affect, but cycling seems to work very well.

If you have road bike use it! If you don’t, try to do your mountain biking on easier trails for your base building phase.

I have completed the Leadville 100 five times and this recipe works for me. Not to mention it has given me the ability to covers tons of miles hiking while elk hunting in Colorado without getting out of breath. This certainly helps when it’s time to pull the trigger and you aren’t gasping for breath!

I realize that base miles take a lot of time, but if you are serious about getting fit……..you need to do them! They will change your life……

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

That ain't EVER gonna happen. To be able to finish a 100 mile race and not be crippled, you've already long ago moved away from a scientifically definable definition of fitness. See the 10 attributes above.

I am not even close to being a freak physically. I weighed 220 pounds two years before my first LT100. I started doing tons of easy base miles and periods on intervals and I dumped 40 pounds in about a year and a half. Since then I just stayed with the program and I am still 180 pounds.

TAK, If you do a good period of base with your crossfit you will improve by 50% in crossfit. I guarantee This!! It makes that much of a difference.

weights and strength training during base mmiles is key as well. Lifting alone will do nothing for you with out some endurnace. Core strength and flexibility are crucial as well. You need to do enduance, weights, core and flexibility.

Last edited by Pootpeak; 01/17/14.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Endurnace base training will make you way more powerful in Crossfit. Every "fast 100 yarder and 400 yarder in the olympics does piles of base miles......there is no way to get that fast without em!

Um... Hell no, and no.

TAK, If you do a good period of base with your crossfit you will improve by 50% in crossfit. I gaurantee This!! It makes that much of a difference.

Um.... Again, no.

Chronic distance running is a disease and is just as bad, scratch that, worse than blind belief in Crossfit.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Poot,

what in backpack hunting is aerobic endurance in nature?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Vek
Most people are pitifully weak, and their situation does not improve with age. Strength does NOT come from endurance training of any kind.

Flat out wrong! You dont think hiking, walking, running and biking don't build leg strength???? As long as gravity exists you are building lean mucle fiber in your legs doing endurnace activities.

EVERY elite athelete on the planet has some form of an endurance base or they can't just cant compete. Fast twitch atheletes like sprinters spend a lot of time doing endurnace base so they can train harder and faster than their competitors. endurnace improves your ablity to process oxygen, lactic acid and increases the blood stroke volume of your heart. The strongest men in the world can get that porwerful without thousands of brutal hours of lifting for long durations. You cant lift that many weights without having the endurnace to do really meaning full workouts!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P

Um... Hell no, and no.

TAK, If you do a good period of base with your crossfit you will improve by 50% in crossfit. I gaurantee This!! It makes that much of a difference.

Um.... Again, no.

Chronic distance running is a disease and is just as bad, scratch that, worse than blind belief in Crossfit.

No clue what you are talking about!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Poot,

what in backpack hunting is aerobic endurance in nature?

Its all endurnace and leg strength. If you hike one mile and sit on your butt, then I agree. But, typically long days in the field require long hours of walking and carrying a heavy pack. You can actually do this without hacking up a lung and for extended periods of time if you have endurnace.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Vek

1. Maintain strength all year with barbell work 3 days per week. Your "workouts" should leave you a bit nauseous if you're doing it right. You won't get nauseous unless you are doing standing exercises with a heavily weighted bar on your back or in your hands (squats, deads, press, cleans). Other lifts and exercises are strictly and completely window dressing. You control ultimate size and strength gain with your diet. Proper technique is mandatory; do not rely on a "trainer" or crossfit gym to teach you to squat and clean. Get real familiar with a video camera and the rippetoe book, or find a real strength coach.

2. In the summer, train by hiking with and without weight on steep ground until your feet, ankles and calves are tough enough to last a hunt on mountains without blister or injury. Do this, and your "cardio" will have taken care of itself.
seasonal gym membership with bikes can get you through those months.

But what if I drop the barbell on my head?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P

Um... Hell no, and no.

Um.... Again, no.

You can�t refute this. Every training manual on the planet talks about building a good cardio base. Why the hell do you think they run a million miles in basic training in the military!! They do it to build a huge base so these guys can get strong as hell and carry huge packs for days on end. You can�t �effectively� train your muscles without your heart and lungs being involved������.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I am heading out for a ride, it tends to clear the head too!

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.