Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
LOL. He saw "Colt" and went into condition black.

LOL, people can be pretty predictable can't they...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Plinking, predators, Zombie Apocalypse...

RRA will be hard to beat for those uses, if accuracy is important.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Any of you dudes shoot/hunt a Rock River Predator Pursuit with a 20 inch barrel? If so, how'd you like it?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not sure I would want a 1-9 twisted barrel unless varmints only are on the menu. I had a RRA with a chromed barrel back in the day of the vaunted DEA contract. The gun was simply heavier than my neighbors Colt 6920 with similar furniture and did not shoot as well. I have two chromed pencil barrel guns that will shoot 5 rounds under an inch, one a Colt one a DD. I am fond of the 62 grain TSX but have killed a few animals with the 75 grain Swift S2, but pay no attention to me as I actually have some experience with RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, DD, Noveske, and now Smith and Wesson!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My vote goes towards Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, or LMT.
I might even buy the upper and lower separate.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I got what I think was a great deal from Davidsons. A S&W M&P15 OR for under $850.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
What's the best deal on a good quality AR with a budget of up to about $1,200.00?

the colt people are worried about milspec parts because they are going to be a soldier fighting terrorists in afghanistan someday.

I was always under the impression that the military furnished a weapon for their employees???

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
What's the best deal on a good quality AR with a budget of up to about $1,200.00?

the colt people are worried about milspec parts because they are going to be a soldier fighting terrorists in afghanistan someday.

I was always under the impression that the military furnished a weapon for their employees???

I believe that was sarcasm.
However, it was probably a bad attempt at justifying a lower quality rifle.

Last edited by CBMJR; 01/19/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oklahoma

exactly!!!!! so if thats the case why does any civilian need a chrome lined bore when it makes the gun LESS accurate?? whats wrong with a chromed BCG?? but wait that aint milspec. This is the argument for buying a colt isn't it? that because of its milspec parts that have been tested and are a certain spec it somehow makes the gun better and more reliable. how many grenade launchers are you going to mount up to your personal gun. I just want to point out telling a guy out of the gates just go buy a colt could be bad advice. IMO there isn't much I would keep stock about a colt even if it was given to me for free. it would have a new barrel, new handguard, new trigger, new stock, it wouldn't be a colt anymore but thats just me. for the average guy if they just want an ar 15 to be used in the same manner as a STOCK colt would, ie basic personal defense, I would get a sportical for 650, or better yet build a parts gun for less than $500

GW I say build your own gun with the parts you select, AR 15's are extremely fun to build and play with. beware it gets expensive because you keep wanting more and more parts to build more guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, some parts of the AR being mil-spec will make it more reliable.

The problem with your diatribes against mil-spec parts is that I don't think you have any friggin clue which parts are useful and which aren't.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for the average guy if they just want an ar 15 to be used in the same manner as a STOCK colt would, ie basic personal defense, I would get a sportical for 650, or better yet build a parts gun for less than $500

And please do enlighten us on what AR you'd build for less than $500 that you'd use to defend yourself and your family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cowboy, I am no AR expert at all, but I do on a Colt that shoots several of hand loads well under an inch. So I would have to call BS on you accuracy claim.

I don't think they are manufactured as a precision varmint gun but they are certainly not as horrible as you make them seem

Sounds like Sour Grapes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH

That's what you'd choose to defend your family with?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this gets back to my fighting the taliban in afghanistan comment. yeah I would defend my life with a $500 AR 15 parts gun, of course after I had shot several hundred rounds through it and tested it to be reliable. this is what anyone with an ar 15 should be doing anyways regardless of brand. by defending your life are you talking taliban invasion of the mainland or a burglar?? a grab and go rifle that needs to reliably shoot a magazine full of ammo doesn't need to be a colt or an anything special ar 15.

I am actually making fun of the milspec comments, because I think there is a look down the nose snobbish mentality about it. I also think in reality, guys that really shoot their guns on a regular basis are going to want other parts that suits their needs that are better than milspec parts. I want to enjoy my gun and shoot it quite a bit, that means I don't want an 8# trigger among other things. the argument for a colt is its going to be more reliable and its going to last longer, if your shooting it that much to know the difference you are going to want better parts anyways. the reliability part should be something you test and find out in actual shooting. if I was forced into only being able to have the features of the 6920 I would rather just have a home built parts gun and save the extra money.

on edit: I just clicked the link for the $500 ar 15, I actually just put one of those together myself. The rifle functions just fine and is probably just as accurate as a colt. would I trust that gun??? yeah I would .

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 01/19/14.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You do realize that a mil spec bolt carrier is chromed inside where it counts...

I look at it as a minimum, I have SS target barrels and a Colt chrome lined barrel. They have there place but a gun that doesn't meet the minimum isn't a bargain at any price.

The 6920 is a fine base to start with.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
let me repeat, a good chrome lined barrel will shoot under MOA with hand loads. Not just once in a while but every time. Finally if you live in a humid environment stainless or chrome or melonite is always a good idea.

To me this argument is akin to Keltec vs Glock, both are good pistols both shoot fine, but given a choice I would want the Glock.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
So all I need is a chrome lined barrel to ensure my hand loads are accurate?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ha! Can you shoot? All of them who say a chromed barrel cannot be accurate just can't shoot is all. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
What about a Ruger SR556E? Local store has them on sale for $999.99 with Mag-Pul backup sights, one 30-round Pmag, no tax.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.