Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 120 1 2 3 4 5 6 119 120
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5' 10" 160lbs 23 y/o

Monday's workout

Warmup:
Dynamic stretches, pistol squats, single leg box jumps, 50" box jumps, 10 meters walking on hands.

Workout:

Squat 3x5

Press 3x5

Deadlift 1x5

Current 1 rep max

Squat: 340lbs

Deadlift: 380lbs

Clean and jerk: 210lbs

Bench press: 230lbs

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
George, you need a new workout, the current one obviously isn't working. grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is good info.

I'm 5'8", 170, and celebrating my 12th anniversary of turning 38. I've been in good shape most of my life and been working out most of my life mostly lifting in one form or another. I used to HATE Cardio. Still don't 'like' it but as I've gotten older it has become a necessary evil. I work out year around but am prone to missing a few workouts in the fall - but not many, its way too hard to catch back up.

I just changed workouts right after Christmas. I'm doing 2 days of whole body strength workouts using basic movements (squats, bench, pulldowns, etc) and 2 days of something called BodyPump - a Les mills derivative taught by a crazy Russian chick. Its not too far off a CrossFit program for intensity.

I dreamed up my own CrossFit program I'll start on when the weather breaks a bit but the BodyPump thing has been a good intro. Doing squats and squat derivatives for 15 minutes with 40 lbs is tougher than it sounds. Especially when you end the routine with 5-10 minutes of one-leg lunges.

For strength training, I do 2 working sets of 6-8 reps: Squats, Leg curl, bench press, pulldowns, shrugs, calf raises. I do 1 heavy set, 6-8 reps for: Bi, Tri, shoulders. Repeat Tuesday and Friday.

For Cardio, I'm doing the BodyPump thing for 60 minutes. Its a whole body type workout with intensity adjusted by weight. You can really make it suck if you want. I've been on a bend to work till failure by the end of 60 minutes. Not puking is a common goal. Sweating copious amounts is a by product.

I tend to rest on Wednesday.

On Saturday, I go for a 5-10 mile hike in the Smokies or do deer scouting for at least half a day. Either way, I'm carrying a pack weighing 7-12 lbs, depending on how much food/water I bring.

Sunday, I rest, Sabbath sort of thing.

For nutrition, I limit the amount of sugar, simple carbs, and refined anything. I quit drinking except for the occasional glass of wine or glass of rum (love Capt Morgan on 4 ice cubes). I tend to eat unprocessed foods and whole grains, with meat 1-3 times a week. Tend to bypass dessert of any sort - except my wife's apple pie - she makes the best pie on the planet. I tend to eat alot of turkey and chicken, tuna and salmon, and alot of various nuts - love raw pecans and walnuts. Maintaining a healthy weight isn't rocket science and doesn't need to be torture.

My goal is to be doing what I've been doing till I'm 70 - DIY elk hunting in far flung places, climbing/hunting eastern mountains, hiking in the spring/summer, and not worrying about falling apart. I'd like to bench 300, squat 400 but those days of chasing dreams like that are gone. Plus they aren't necessary to achieve a high level of fitness.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
6'3", 225 lbs, 52 years. Ruptured L4/5 and following discectomy make me careful about good form. I can't overload my spine.

My workout style is mostly geared toward muscular endurance. I like to do 100 reps of whatever it is I am doing that day.

Mainstay exercises of my workout are pullups, bench press (dumbell/barbell), pushups, shrugs, sumo squats, calf raises, ab crunches, treadmill walking.

I'll throw in some bicep curls, tricep extensions, and wrist curls now and then.

Typical upper body workout - 100 pullups, 100 bench press, 100 shrugs.

Typical lower body - 100 sumo squats, 100 calf raises, 100 crunches, treadmill incline walk.

I'm not too much of a nutrition nazi, but try to eat generally healthy. I could stand to lose 10 lbs or so.

Wife took this pic last summer as I was finishing an upper body workout,

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd post a shirtless pic of myself, but then I'd start getting those unwanted PMs from T-A-K again.......

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Arms and legs circuit, Concept2, stretching.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did my normal cardio workout yesterday. Funny thing, I normally put a big fistful of walnuts on my morning granola but ran out today. Could be coincidence but I was running low at the end of the workout and cut it short by 10 minutes. Can't remember the last time that happened.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
6'3", 225 lbs, 52 years. Ruptured L4/5 and following discectomy make me careful about good form. I can't overload my spine.

My workout style is mostly geared toward muscular endurance. I like to do 100 reps of whatever it is I am doing that day.

Mainstay exercises of my workout are pullups, bench press (dumbell/barbell), pushups, shrugs, sumo squats, calf raises, ab crunches, treadmill walking.

I'll throw in some bicep curls, tricep extensions, and wrist curls now and then.

Typical upper body workout - 100 pullups, 100 bench press, 100 shrugs.

Typical lower body - 100 sumo squats, 100 calf raises, 100 crunches, treadmill incline walk.

I'm not too much of a nutrition nazi, but try to eat generally healthy. I could stand to lose 10 lbs or so.

Wife took this pic last summer as I was finishing an upper body workout,

[Linked Image]
I will now always call you Sir and promise to make no ill remarks to you! You are in very impressive shape...for about any age. Congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Today

Strength/Form work:
Hang Clean
3-3-3-3-3
95-135-155-135-135

WOD;
18 min AMRAP
20" Box Jump - 12reps
20# Wall Ball Toss - 10reps
Chest to Bar Pullups - 8reps
115# Hang Clean - 6reps
Double Unders - 20reps
Burpees - 10reps

I completed 3 full rounds and made it to 5 on Hang Cleans for round 4.

PS- I still phoucing hate burpees
PPS- I can only imagine the hilarity of watching a guy as fat as me do double unders.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It's great to see quite a few other folks here in their 50s, who are also keeping themselves is great shape.

I was a tall skinny 6'2" 150 lbs when I joined the Marines. I took to the weight room right away. I truly enjoy wearing myself out, wether it's weights, hiking, or whatever.

Fitness is kind like a road with no end. As the years go on, I can't imagine ever quitting altogether, but I know it is inevitable that along the way things will change.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
It's great to see quite a few other folks here in their 50s, who are also keeping themselves is great shape.

Yup, and it's even better to see guys like Battue keeping at it. Gives us young fellers something to shoot for.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
For reasons that sound good to me but are excuses to everyone else, I've essentially not touched a weight in almost a year and a half, which coincides from when we moved south from Anchorage (short commute with gym en route) to Blaine, WA (longer commute, no gym). I've not exercised since November, and have ballooned up to 238 lbs at 6'3.

I've started up again after falling off the wagon enough times that I'm pretty aware of how to get going again without injury or too much soreness. So last Saturday, I did a very-abbreviated version of a standard routine:

Warmup/agility: 20 yards down and back high knees with good sprint form, side shuffle, backpedal, and carioca.

Stretch

Repeat warmup/agility with more gusto

two rounds of the following:
*shrug cleans (stand with bar, shrug and drop under it in a full front squat) x 8
*pushups x 10
*ab work x 10
*bent-over row x 10

That warmup will be typical as I get back in the swing, but I'll increase to three rounds and add weight, reps and movements to the circuit (dips as soon as I build a rack, lunges, chins)

Two sets of light front squats, 2x12 with 95 lbs

Two sets of light deads, 2x8 with 185 lbs

two sets of standing press, 2x10 with 95 lbs

three sets of five chins

Then yesterday, the initial front squat soreness had mostly passed so I did the following after compulsory warmups:

two sets of back squat, 2x15 at 135 lbs
two sets of power cleans, 2x8 at 135 lbs
three sets of standing press, 3x10 at 95 lbs
chins, 3x5

The first round of back squats will hobble me for another two days, but things will shoot upward after that.

Those are the two basic workouts. The core exercises won't vary, but I will add in dips, barbell row movements, lunges and possibly snatches.

Goals: work slowly back to my personal standards:
225lb bodyweight
lifts: will let you know when I get there! Long ways off for now.

To get there, I'll need to build a rack as I presently heft the bar into place from the floor. That can't last when the squat weights start increasing, which they will do very soon.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Today: You guys are a new found inspiration wink Thanks for the thread.

Spinner: 60minutes and 15 something miles.

Kettle Bell set: 20minutes

Weights: Bunch of this and that. Low weight/high reps to failure.

Will do 20-30minutes of Concept2 this evening.

Good day, the muscles have that quiver thing going on. grin

Last edited by battue; 01/29/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mid 40's here. I tried to bike 5,000 miles last year and only did 4,400 or so due to taking a ton of time off after the 104 mile mountain bike race from hell in Arizona on June 1st.

Want about 15-20 miles a week running, 75-100 miles a week biking and 3 miles a week swimming to be my norm.

I will also hit the elliptical machine when it's cold out, depending on whether or not the yoga-pants hotties are on them or the treadmills.....

Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So far this week:

Workouts: M - 5 mile base run, T - rest, W - 3 mile threshold run
Diet: 2.0 of 3.0 CE days

Missing my diet on some days but not by much. That is to be expected this time of year. Legs are recovering pretty well as I start to get back into the groove. Slowly but surely moving forward.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm 34. My workouts look like squats, bench press, and deadlifts. Working towards muscular endurance by doing higher reps, a mid range weights. Currently at 160 for squats, 160 for bench, and 225 for deadlift. Looking to increase that a bit (particularly the squat) and add more reps by June. Also looking to get rid of the last 15lbs I gained from my wife's last pregnancy. It was fun gaining weight with her, but not so much fun taking it off. She lost all her weight breastfeeding the baby, and was back to her high school weight in a few months. We have #2 on the way, so I learned my lesson the first time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Treadmill: 30minutes at 15 degree incline.

Concept2 rower: 30minutes.

Last edited by battue; 01/30/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Today's Workout:
Warmup
Dynamic stretching, focusing on hips an shoulders.

Skill:
Split Jerk
5-3
135#-155#

WOD:
Split Jerk
1-1-1-1-1-1
175#-185#-205#-225#-245#(f)-245#(f)
I was really close on the last two. I should get them the next time. 225# is a personal best by 40#!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WOD:

Shoveling 5 inches of heavy wet snow off a double driveway and the sidewalk on a corner lot. Worst part was the dog giving me "the look" the whole time, hasn't had his run yet. That's next. Gotta get in some clean eating and gym time too, the super bowl will take up a month's allotment of bad habits.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tomorrow is probably an off day, so we did a little more today.

Evolution circuit:

Hex bar dead lifts. 20-15-10-8, etc
Dumbell curls. Same
Incline press. Same

Lat pull downs: 4 sets, 70lbs to failure. 45-60sec break between sets.

17inch box step-up: 4 sets of 10. 2 at body weight and 2 with 20 lbs in each hand.

Farmers walk: 4x40 yards with 90 lbs.

Kettle Bell: 40lbs 4x1minute swings, with 1 minute between.

Jumping Jack: 4x25

Last edited by battue; 01/31/14.

Page 4 of 120 1 2 3 4 5 6 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,374
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.