-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gonna delve into the world of .22 cal air rifles for small game/varmint hunting. Cept for an old 880 that I start the kids on my knowledge of air rifles is limited to recent countless hours of research. I'd really like to go NP but I'm not wanting a hold sensitive rifle which from all the back and forth I've read the jury still seems out for the NP's. Thinkin .22 Trail NP or Titan Nitro. Outside chance on the magnumlike Trail NP XL1100. What say you?

Second choice is the multi-pump 392. Anything else I should be looking at in the world of multi-pumps?

Thanks.

(Sorry if the print is big. Did this on my phone and it looks big from here.)

GB1

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Personally, owning two rammed guns (love them by the way, and not Crosman's) and a modified 392, if you don't mind pumping, I'd say go for the Benji. Here's my reasons. First, pumpers are power adjustable. You can't cut the power down on a rammed gun. Pass through might be a problem in certain situations. Second, a 392 has more then enough power even for shots beyond 60 yards if need be. Third, you can keep pumps in the gun for hours, or even months and not hurt the valve. On the other hand, I've been told by David Slade (former head air gunsmith for Beeman who now runs/owns Theoben USA) that you can also cock a gas rammed gun for extended period of time with no ill effects. But then again, I've also heard from owners of Crosman and Theoben gas rammed guns that the seals in the ram piston failing and loosing air and needed to change the seals. I've never had anything like that happen to my rams, but then again I don't keep my guns cocked and left to sit. But, my 392 on the other hand is a totally different story. This gun is kept with 4 pumps in it during storage. Keeping air in the valve keeps the seals tight and debris out of it. This was told to me by Tim McMurray of Mac1, the guy who builds the Steroid 392. And the 392 is cheaper. Well, a stock 392 is anyway.

S.W.A.G. it
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pump air rifles for kids and accuracy or just learning are genius. Every shot counts when you have to pump it.

I have a number of 1960-65 sheridans. Virtually identical to Benjamin in every way. Some have been left pumped for a years, maybe years. No problem at all.

The seals are compacted or compressed lead ( the soft metal) O rings that get tightened and "squished" around the valves to seal them. No rubber in there to wear our or break

My oldest Sheridan is from 1960. It shoots today just like it came from the factory floor. It shoots so accurate we can pick off flys landing on the picket fence from 20 -30 feet, prone you can aim it to skim the top of a blue tip match and it will light.

At 50 yards it will blow through pigeons and doves, kill a rabbit and squirrel.

Gotta pump it, but something really nice about all wood and metal construction in your hands. Plus it's short and feather light compared to a NP rifle.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would also go with the pump up. NPs and spring guns, while accurate, are tough to shoot well. As you mentioned they are hold sensitive. I too have my 5mm Sheridan Silver Streak from the 60s. Great gun that has accounted for countless starlings, squirrels, rabbits and one huge 'coon. It has gone through thousands of pellets with no issues. Pneumatics, pump up and precharged, are easier to shoot accuratly for the average shooter. I have had spring piston guns by BSA, RWS & Webley. My only experience with gas rams is a Crosman Nitro Venom that I bought for my nephew to use while visiting. The first one broke the cocking arms the first weekend of use. I sent it back and they replaced it. Soon after the replacement arrived it was left cocked over night by said nephew and the gas leaked out of the ram rendering it useless. Its replacement still sits unopened in the box waiting to be sold off. In that respect, I can't recomend the gas rams being marketed by Crossman/Benjamin. Another option would be the Benjamin Discovery, a precharged pneumatic you pump up with a separate pump and can get 20-30 shots before it needs refilling.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My new Crosman model Benjamin 392 PA 22 Cal pump up air rifle with the safety in the trigger guard came from the factory with paint in the barrel at the muzzle end. Cleaned out the paint which improved its accuracy. I test fired it off a bench rest shooting at 10 meters using the open sites. With my old eyes I need to mount a scope with AO on it and try a varity of pellets to find which pellet the rifle likes best. For most of my shooting indoors I use four pumps but shot a group with eight pumps to see what difference the pellets hit the target. I have C9 and C9A Sheridan model 20 Cal pump up air rifles with peep and scope sites with which I shoot smaller groups. The pump up air rifles are a good type for a new shooter.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think you answered my question about which air gun to get. I first shot a Benjamin about 45 years ago and thought it was neat then; and altho I have been thru more handguns, shotguns and rifles than I can remember, I have yet to own one. It will be squirrels/rabbits at 20 ft. to 25 yds. .17, .20 or .22? What are the maximum amount of pump strokes? Noise factor at max. fps.?Right now I shoot a .17 pistol @ 600 fps. which is louder than
a .22CB or .22 LR subsonic out of a rifle. Comments?

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is a steroid 392?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Steroid 392 parts, Link here.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A "steroided" Sheridan or Benji pumper is an upgraded custom gun made by MAC1 ariguns of Los Angeles..

They've been in the Airgun biz since the 1930s..

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/airguns-s/1824.htm

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.