Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am a Weatherby fan and love my 300s and 257. The 300 WBY chambering is my pick for a do it all everything cartridge to handle almost all critters that walk. I basically fell into a 300 WBY when I was younger, shot lots of stuff with it, found out that it does pretty much work on everything I have pointed it at, and have not really tried to top it!

With all of that said, they are not as popular mainly because of the cost of their guns and ammo. Adding to that, most of their guns are wood stocked and have long barrels. They are a niche product in a competitive field that does not generally appeal to the masses. They can be very accurate but the time you add up the increased cost, weight, length, availability of ammo, blast, recoil to similar calibers, and somewhat of a limited choice of rifles, it does keep them from being more popular as the OP asked. I like mine, probably a little more because of some of the reasons mentioned above but Weatherby users are in a fraternity of such!

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If they were priced competitively, they might be popular. It's a different mouse trap, but not a better one. Ammo/brass price for the Weatherby chamberings doesn't help either. IMO, there are better options for the same money.

I also think they're ugly.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As a lefty, I don't think the new Mark V's are worth it. There are a few models available for us lefties, but if I want a 270Wby Deluxe or a Lazermark or a 416 or something, I'm looking at close to 4 grand because I will have to go through the custom shop. Not worth it.

However, with a little patience and diligence, I've been able to score some absolutely beautiful and very accurate like new Mark V's that are very much worth it.

I am pretty spoiled to the short bolt lift on the Mark V, and the triggers are consistently better than any other out of the box rifle I've owned except the Sako AV 6.5x55 I just got this weekend.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Only downside to a weatherby is the weight of the barreled action. It is massive and is certainly called for with the 300 Wby and up but not for a 257,270 or 7mm

That said I would like Weatherby to improve the Mark V. I think they should just go to a 3 lug action action for the big stuff(300 and above) and change their little 6 lug action to a 3 lug action as well and chamber that for standard chamberings 270,280,06,7mm rem mag ,240,257,270 and 7mm bee.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cost. But I got my Mk V Deluxe in mint cond. for $950. Wby will drop dealers for selling below Wby's price point (at least according to my great uncle and he knows a fair share).

And they're a niche product for the most part. You buy the name. Although I am really a fan of the 340... smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5 years ago I was searching for a used MK V in 257 and just could not find one at a reasonable (to me) price. Would have been happy with a synthetic stock version.

I did find a used Vanguard in 270 WSM on the Campfire Classifieds that was priced fairly. Love the rifle. I never cared for Monte Carlo stocks until I started shooting my Vanguard. It "fits" me better than the classic style stocks that have always been more pleasing to my eye.

So I guess it was about the price and availability that kept me out of a MK V Weatherby.

Dan

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As per Weatherby rifles,the best offerings are their VG's and by light years. 6-luggers is better than their 9,but The Twins steal the show. Of course even Weatherby knows this,as VG Accuracy assurances(sub 1") are a bunch better than MK V "assurances"(1.5"),as per Weatherby themselves. Funny how it all works.(grin) Them are beeg percentages.

The 3Bee is great in a 700,as is the rest of the .532" and .473" ilk. There's nothing redeeming the MK V there...nor even close.

Hint.

For the Win.

[Linked Image]

'Course...I've had 'em all and it's easy for me to say.(grin)

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I am looking to buy a new rifle and am seriously looking at a Weatherby Ultralight 7mm-08, 24 inch barrel, at 5.75 lbs. The price doesn't seem do much difference than Sako or Forbes and a lot cheaper than NULA. Plus the MK V is built in America now.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
....and change their little 6 lug action to a 3 lug action as well and chamber that for...7mm bee.

Wouldn't that be the cat's meow & the dog's bow-wow!! laugh

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During what part of staying in business all these decades did Weatherby fail?

Both the terms More and Popular are completely subjective.

I would say Weatherby is very popular, and most likely, profitable.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mark V's have all the most desirable features for a rifle action with the exception of mass (9 lug) which equals weight. My 7mm Mk V weighs 8 lbs ready to hunt. That is quite tolerable. But, my 300 WSM weighs 7 lbs & I like that gooder.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I love the Weatherby MK V Ultralights but after My 4th brand new Ultralight rifle I still couldn't find one that would shoot so I gave up the quest, at $1350.00 a pop I had to quit....Another thing I never liked about the Ultralight rifles was they have chrome moly actions, you can't buy a stainless Weatherby MK V, in todays market that is ridiculous!................Hb
My ultralite shoots great! A .308 after I skim bedded and floated it that is, trigger tunned up nicely too. But it does not like a hot or really even warm barrel, I'll hold groups .3-4's(46gr vargot 165 NBT and 45.5 gr vargot 168 ttsx ) if you take 10min or so between shots . 2 quick shots ain't bad but goes down hill pretty fast after that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi,

I have a mk v 257 deluxe. It shoots well at the range during the times I brought it there to site it in and try some reloads. I like it. I am impressed by the weatherby business's heritage and their weatherby nation site - Ed Weatherby sometimes responds to the posts.

Someday I'd like to justify a 300 or whopass 340, but right now I'm just trying to replace a model 70 fwt 7mm08 (the second in my safe claimed by another son...).

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I love the Weatherby MK V Ultralights but after My 4th brand new Ultralight rifle I still couldn't find one that would shoot...
My ultralite shoots great!

My 280 UL defies the odds with its accuracy even with several loads. It was my third try.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think a deep blued Weatherby with a nicely figured stock is about attractive as it gets. I recently sold this one as it never got used, it was hard for me to let it go.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
They have Remington's 3 rings of steel, Sako's short bolt lift....

But you never hear of them in competition?

Roy Weatherby didn't design the Mark V action for competition shooting, he designed it for hunting, with an emphasis on reliability and strength. My Mark V Deluxe, 270 Wby Mag, happens to be plenty accurate. Will it win a bench rest competition? Nope, but it easily beats the 1.5 in accuracy guarantee.

I think the reason you don't see more of them, is simply cost.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Be interesting to see what % of total revenue the Mark V brings to Weatherby. I bet it is a pittance given how many used ones there are for sale. You couldn't give me one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
You couldn't give me one.

I was beginning to think I was the only one�

The Weatherby Kool-aid looks as strong as the Kimber Kool-aid�..

In fairness though Ive actually seen one Mark V that got used hard, in real hunting, and survived. It looked like schitt, but it worked.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Some folks really like the design. They are not for me but at least they aren't a boring azz Remington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been awhile since my 30-378 but back then Weatherby wasn't big on offering anything other than their cartridges. You would see an occasional 300 WM but it really was all Weatherby all the time. I think that hurt them in the long run.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (10gaugemag, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 31 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,642
Posts18,533,628
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.