-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am on labs #4 and #5. Every time one of my labs stopped eating something was wrong, and unfortunately, seriously wrong. Take him back to the vet!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kidney failure... frown

IVs for a lot of hydration might help if that's the case.

Good luck with your friend. You'll both be in my thoughts.

Last edited by luv2safari; 02/02/14.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Kidney failure... frown
That would have shown up in the blood test.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
if it's a blockage do the oil thing.

Take a bunch of veggy oil, and put it in a turkey baster - grab him by the muzzle and lift if up and put it in his mouth and squeeze it while he drinks it down.

If you are worried about taste, then put a bullion cube in a pot with the oil and melt the cube so it tastes like beef.

You can do that 2-3 time but give it time to work through him between them.

The other thing you can do is to put 1-2 table spoons of citrucel / metamucil in his food (like rice) to help give him some fiber to pass it.

Good luck -
Spot

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
How far do you go on a 14 year old dog,in terms of trips to the vet? My lab quit eating Thursday, drinks a little water here and there, she has a hard time moving around much, shes done the wander off, looking for a place to die thing a couple times. Rapid weight loss. Does not seem to be suffering, or in pain, she's just sick as hell and seems like she knows it's time to go. I had the vet put her partner down a few years back as he was obviously suffering, so as much as I hate to make that trip, I'll do it if necessary, shes just acting so sick I expect to find her gone when I get up every morning. I'm torn between taking her in for the needle, taking her in and spending whatever it takes to get her well and buy some more time, or letting nature take its course...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 14-year old Brittany quit eating a few weeks before she died. The vets couldn't do anything for her. They told me it was just the process of the body shutting down in preparation of dying. Sort of a purging. Hope that is not the case for your lab.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
if it's a blockage do the oil thing.

Take a bunch of veggy oil, and put it in a turkey baster - grab him by the muzzle and lift if up and put it in his mouth and squeeze it while he drinks it down.

If you are worried about taste, then put a bullion cube in a pot with the oil and melt the cube so it tastes like beef.

You can do that 2-3 time but give it time to work through him between them.

The other thing you can do is to put 1-2 table spoons of citrucel / metamucil in his food (like rice) to help give him some fiber to pass it.

Good luck -
Spot
Be careful with the oil in the baster thing. Doesn't take much oil going down the windpipe to be lethal.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by erickg
How far do you go on a 14 year old dog,in terms of trips to the vet? My lab quit eating Thursday, drinks a little water here and there, she has a hard time moving around much, shes done the wander off, looking for a place to die thing a couple times. Rapid weight loss. Does not seem to be suffering, or in pain, she's just sick as hell and seems like she knows it's time to go. I had the vet put her partner down a few years back as he was obviously suffering, so as much as I hate to make that trip, I'll do it if necessary, shes just acting so sick I expect to find her gone when I get up every morning. I'm torn between taking her in for the needle, taking her in and spending whatever it takes to get her well and buy some more time, or letting nature take its course...
At fourteen, if it's a medium dog or larger, that's about the age that represents their lifespan. As for putting a dog down, it's much better if you can have the vet come to the house than to take the dog there, IMO.

PS Sorry to hear this.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I had the same dilemma years ago. My dog was 15 and just stopped eating. Vet diagnose renal failure. He was still loving and wagged his tail/body, just wanted to lay down and die. Wasn't crying out in pain. Just wanted to die. And that is what he did, in the house he grew up in, in the bed he slept in, I was with him and petting him when he took his last breath. I couldn't put him through the stress of being hauled off to die. That is the same way I want to go also, in my house, in my bed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 14 year old dog whose breed average age is 13 years. He's lost his night vision due to cataracts but he's healthy and in otherwise good shape.

I know the day is coming soon when I have to face the inevitable with him and its gonna kill me.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vabeachman
I had the same dilemma years ago. My dog was 15 and just stopped eating. Vet diagnose renal failure. He was still loving and wagged his tail/body, just wanted to lay down and die. Wasn't crying out in pain. Just wanted to die. And that is what he did, in the house he grew up in, in the bed he slept in, I was with him and petting him when he took his last breath. I couldn't put him through the stress of being hauled off to die. That is the same way I want to go also, in my house, in my bed.

This is always the best option IMO, but in our case she had lost control of her bladder and stool, and was somewhat overtaken with dementia.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
I've got a 14 year old dog whose breed average age is 13 years. He's lost his night vision due to cataracts but he's healthy and in otherwise good shape.

I know the day is coming soon when I have to face the inevitable with him and its gonna kill me.
You lose a big piece of your soul every time you lose one, don't you? Same here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its hard not to when an animal dedicates his life to protecting you and your family the best way he can and being a constant companion.

He's under my feet as I type this now and when I'll get up to go into another room, as old as he is, he'll get up and follow me.

btw, fwiw, I've been giving my dog plain a table spoon of yogurt mixed into his food for the past few months. He loves it and it keeps his digestive system ( as well as his horrendously bad farts) in check. For $5 a month, its a pretty good investment I think.

I think my wife wants me to start eating it too.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/02/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Feed him Vaseline. No kidding
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
Originally Posted by vabeachman
Did the dog suddenly stop eating or was it gradual? Seems kind of gradual the way you describe it. Was any bloodwork drawn? Did they check the creatinine and urea levels when they did bloodwork? How much weight has the dog lost since last physical? I hope everything works out well. Labs are such great dogs.

He gradually stopped eating. the blood work came up all clear. he has gone from 100# when he was weighed 3 months ago to 94# Friday. A neighbor gave him a raw hide bone for X'mas & I am afraid he has a blockage.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
its hard not to when an animal dedicates his life to protecting you and your family the best way he can and being a constant companion.

He's under my feet as I type this now and when I'll get up to go into another room, as old as he is, he'll get up and follow me.

btw, fwiw, I've been giving my dog plain a table spoon of yogurt mixed into his food for the past few months. He loves it and it keeps his digestive system ( as well as his horrendously bad farts) in check. For $5 a month, its a pretty good investment I think.

I think my wife wants me to start eating it too.
My dog gets all the gut flora she could possibly need by eating every fresh pile of chicken crap she finds in the yard. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Those rawhide bones are about the worse thing to give a dog.

+1

Should be illegal to sell those dam things.

Labs are the best.
Hope you get it worked out.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I lost a lab 9 years ago he was 10. Had and have lots of dogs. This one hunted with me 4 or 5 days a week since he was born. I keep my rifle by the back door. He could be asleep anywhere in the house. When I walked to that corner and picked up that rifle he would get up and be setting by the back door with-in minutes. I think of him most days to this day. I have more respect for dogs than most people. Truly hope yours come thru. Mine was suffering and it was the HARDEST thing I ever did looking into his eye's helping him move on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Common Labrador Health Problems - VetInfo there are a few Labrador health problems that may occur. ... Twisted Stomach.
...?????????

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Common Labrador Health Problems - VetInfo there are a few Labrador health problems that may occur. ... Twisted Stomach.
...?????????

The vet would have caught that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He will eat when he gets hungry enough

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 34 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,771
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.