Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
AB2506,

I guess your right, I was referring to the sst's. I guess I have always considered a polymer tipped bullet a ballistic tip.

Capt Craig,

I took the gun apart tonight and everything seems right to me, nothing seems to be binding and the factory bedding in the B&C stock seems pretty good.

As far as torque goes what would you recommend for the stock?

HR IC

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In factory ammo, I've found that Federal is the best bet. Try the reg. blue box, your Fusion, or Fed premium.

Three things that will almost always improve a new rifle's accuracy are bedding the action, adjusting the trigger, and re-crowning the muzzle (or at least getting it checked). Have a good gunsmith check it out.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by John_G
In factory ammo, I've found that Federal is the best bet. Try the reg. blue box, your Fusion, or Fed premium.

I have found that each gun might prefer different ammo. I wouldn't recommend a particular brand as being more accurate with a few exception (Fed gold medal match being one).

I will make one generalization and that is that Superformance ammo has proven to me to be very inaccurate in the 4 or 5 calibers that I have tried it in!

A buddy's very nice 7 Rem mag shoot the Barnes Vortex stuff better than any other factory ammo we tried (5 different brands) I found that hard to believe but I shot the groups myself.

Maybe that rifle is just a turd? If you can't find an easy solution, find someone with a bore scope and see if there is an obvious flaw in the barrel.

My ELite 6500 has been a great scope so I can't fault it but yours could be bad. Bushnell has turned a lot of garbage out over the years and maybe one of the 6500s slipped through QC

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

Anybody have a suggestion for a torque spec for the bell & Carlson stock? I've read everything from 35-65 inch pounds. 65 seems pretty excessive to me.....

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
65 inch pounds should be fine. Just make sure it's INCH-pounds, NOT foot-pounds.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
G
g88 Offline
G
I tried 5 boxes (3 different lots) of the 7mm-08 139gr Superformance in an X-Bolt and got groups of about 2.5 to 3.5 at 100 yards. The gun shoots most everything else into an inch. I sent emails about it to Hornady giving them the scores by lot number, but no reply. I just hope it didn't mess up the barrel somehow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Anybody have one of these that can give a report on some factory ammo accuracy with it?

I bought a brand new one a few months back and just got around to taking it to the range yesterday and was pretty disappointed with it's performance. I had 3 different types of factory ammo(Hornady superformance 139gr sst, Hornady American Whitetail 139gr, and Winchester Super-X 140gr powerpoints)and they all grouped 2-2.5". I also have a box of the 120gr Federal Fusions but I forgot to bring those with me.

Anyways, if you could share your experiences I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

The one I owned was fairly accurate.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Anybody have one of these that can give a report on some factory ammo accuracy with it?

I bought a brand new one a few months back and just got around to taking it to the range yesterday and was pretty disappointed with it's performance. I had 3 different types of factory ammo(Hornady superformance 139gr sst, Hornady American Whitetail 139gr, and Winchester Super-X 140gr powerpoints)and they all grouped 2-2.5". I also have a box of the 120gr Federal Fusions but I forgot to bring those with me.

Anyways, if you could share your experiences I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

My M70 EW shoots the Federal loading of 180gr Partitions very well. I haven't shot anything else through it yet, it is a 30-06 btw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by John_G

I have found that each gun might prefer different ammo. I wouldn't recommend a particular brand as being more accurate with a few exception (Fed gold medal match being one).

I will make one generalization and that is that Superformance ammo has proven to me to be very inaccurate in the 4 or 5 calibers that I have tried it in!

A buddy's very nice 7 Rem mag shoot the Barnes Vortex stuff better than any other factory ammo we tried (5 different brands) I found that hard to believe but I shot the groups myself.

Maybe that rifle is just a turd? If you can't find an easy solution, find someone with a bore scope and see if there is an obvious flaw in the barrel.

My ELite 6500 has been a great scope so I can't fault it but yours could be bad. Bushnell has turned a lot of garbage out over the years and maybe one of the 6500s slipped through QC

Dennis, ordinarily I would have to agree with you, but in the last few years, over and over again in a number of rifles (at least 12) I have seen Federal ammo produce great groups - for factory ammo. The latest example was a Sako 30-06 that a friend of mine bought. He purchased at least 12 boxes of ammo from Winchester, Federal, and Hornady in various bullet weights. He tested it all and found that his most accurate loads were all Federal - blue box, Premium, and Fusion. I wasn't surprised in the least. I'm aware of the "each gun is a law unto itself" adage, but recent experience has shown me that Federal is making some pretty good stuff.

The result is that if I were shooting factory ammo and had a new gun to sight in - the first brand of ammo I'd try would be Federal. I wouldn't be shocked if I eventually found that Federal wasn't the best, but it would nevertheless get the first chance to prove itself.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Have a buddy that bought a EW in 300wm and had accuracy issues and had to send the gun back, not sure what they did to fix it!

My friend has a 300 wsm that was a sour shooting pig as well. He tried all kinds of factory ammo thru it with the same results: 2 1/2 - 4+" groups. He tried the federal gold medal match, HSM custom loads, Barnes vortex (I believe that's what the box said), and Hornady superformance ammo. All of it sucked. He said if he could get any of those to shoot good he would try to duplicate that load. I then told him that that rifle should shoot chitty bullets good. You don't need to spend $65.00+/box on ammo to have a good shooting rifle. My 300 wsm EW tube does very well with factory el-cheapos (winchester powerpoints and remington corelokts)..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
snowboardguy.... don't count on the superformance to shoot well. I have yet to see a gun that did like them. I think they are trying to push them too fast for their components.
Not to break your chops, but.... trade it for an X-bolt in a 7/08. You wont be disappointed. Mine shoot great. Even with factory fodder(excluding Superformance). BTW, where abouts are you in NY?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
snowboardguy.... don't count on the superformance to shoot well. I have yet to see a gun that did like them. I think they are trying to push them too fast for their components.
Not to break your chops, but.... trade it for an X-bolt in a 7/08. You wont be disappointed. Mine shoot great. Even with factory fodder(excluding Superformance). BTW, where abouts are you in NY?

Mark,

I actually own an a-bolt in 300 wsm. It's a great rifle and I'm sure the x-bolt is too but I really like this gun and want to get it figured out. As soon as this cold breaks I plan on getting some more range time with it.

I'm located in otsego county, how about yourself?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a .300 WSM in the EW model. It shoots great. I handload Accubonds. I did lighten the trigger. Shoots 5/8" groups.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mailmanmark

It's interesting... I'm 3 for 3 on superformance ammo. The rifles I've tried, 2 pre 72 sako's (270 and 3006) and one FN winchester 7mm08 all shoot about 3/4 inch 3 shot groups and 5 shot one inch groups. The winchester was spot on velocity wise with a 22 inch barrel. I've yet to chronograph the two sako's. I haven't even worked up handloads for the winchester since the superformance shot so well. That said; those two sako's shoot just about everything into an inch except the cheap federal that wal mart carries. So maybe it's the rifle as much as the ammo...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by boltgunjim
I have a .300 WSM in the EW model. It shoots great. I handload Accubonds. I did lighten the trigger. Shoots 5/8" groups.

Funny I have the same gun and I had horrible accuracy with 180 Accubonds. I had the front scope mount come loose and was bout to send the gun down the road when I switched out to Leupold dual dovetail mounts and tried 180 partitions. Now I'm dreaming of adding a McMillian edge, but find the BC stock serviceable.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (22250rem, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,006
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.