Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bcraig
So the reality is that most who have responded have NO experience but just expressing an opinion based on nothing.
Imagine that !

Likely true, at least it is in my case. However, one doesn't necessarily have to do something to know it is a bad idea.

μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
While that is true in some cases having real life experience doing something definetly trumps speculation.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While that is true in some cases having real life experience doing something definetly trumps speculation.

Then by all means, proceed and please let us know how that turns out. grin

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can tell you straight out i don't want to get shot with a 9mm and the ammo they have for them today . Deer are like anything else put a bullet through both lungs and let the air out and they don't go far and they sure don't know what you shot them with . As much as i like the 9mm i will leave it home if Whitetail are on the hunt list for my day. My minimum for Deer is the 357 Magnum or 10 mm and Prefer one of my Ruger or Smith 44 magnums loaded with the Keith 250 gr Cast and 2400

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Then by all means, proceed and please let us know how that turns out. grin

Looks like I am going to have to as I have had (so far)only one response from someone that has actually done this.

IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bea175
I can tell you straight out i don't want to get shot with a 9mm and the ammo they have for them today . Deer are like anything else put a bullet through both lungs and let the air out and they don't go far and they sure don't know what you shot them with . As much as i like the 9mm i will leave it home if Whitetail are on the hunt list for my day. My minimum for Deer is the 357 Magnum or 10 mm and Prefer one of my Ruger or Smith 44 magnums loaded with the Keith 250 gr Cast and 2400

I think you are right in that put a good bullet in the right spot and they wont know what you shot them with.
Concerning the cast bullets I used to make my own using a LBT WFN(wide flat nose)and found that while they shot great the Hornady XTP and other expanding bullets put deer down faster.YMMV

I am giving thought to a 147 Grain at about 1150 FPS as being able to do the job pretty well.
Thanks
Craig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only killed one deer in my entire life with a 9mm. It was a quick, one shot DRT deal. But first I disabled him with my 12 ga. slug gun with a 2.75" sabot, and he was down but not out and unable to get up. So in the name of hunting ethics and a quick, clean harvest of a big game animal he then received a 124 gr. 9mm to the back of the head/neck area. Worked great at a range of about 4 to 6 inches. Plus it's more economical when you look at the price of 12 ga. sabot slugs vs 9mm. Funny part is according to NY State regulations I could have been out there deer hunting with that 9mm. They allow "any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length may not exceed 16 inches". So according to those all-knowing "geniuses" I could be out there trying to take a deer with my 25 ACP. Sounds like another one of those things written up by a bunch of NY city scumbags who don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bea175

I think you are right in that put a good bullet in the right spot and they wont know what you shot them with.
Concerning the cast bullets I used to make my own using a LBT WFN(wide flat nose)and found that while they shot great the Hornady XTP and other expanding bullets put deer down faster.YMMV

I am giving thought to a 147 Grain at about 1150 FPS as being able to do the job pretty well.
Thanks
Craig

In my humble opinion you both are correct.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So the reality is that most who have responded have NO experience but just expressing an opinion based on nothing.
Imagine that !
I've no experience pouring water on a grease fire,It's my opinion it's a bad idea and am quite sure my opiniom isn't wrong ....imagine that

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Funny part is according to NY State regulations I could have been out there deer hunting with that 9mm. They allow "any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length may not exceed 16 inches". So according to those all-knowing "geniuses" I could be out there trying to take a deer with my 25 ACP. Sounds like another one of those things written up by a bunch of NY city scumbags who don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Do you really want your State gov to use the force of law to delineate everything you are allowed to do and the manner in which you may do it?
I'd rather have the liberty to make my own choices.
In NY, one may shoot a deer with a 25. That reg. is not a recommendation that one do so.

IC B3

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Totally different scenario and anyone with one eye and half sense knows that.
As I said earlier if you want to be a smart ass the be my guest.
I asked for experience and you jump in with nothing of value to add.
Apparently you think that experience( or lack of) in pouring water on a grease fire is analagous to Having experience shooting deer with a 9mm.
Thats Phu..ing rediculous.
Just out of curiosity do you have EXPERIENCE doing anything other than being an antagonistic smart ass?
I asked for experience in shooting a deer with a 9mm and asked about bullet performance ,not thoughts on whether it should be done or not.
I will make MY own judgment on whether to do it or not based on real life experiences of people that have done so.
Not just a "dont do it or dont recomend it"that is based on nothing.
Even IF one were to try and apply your rediculous analagy of pouring water on a grease fire statement one can see that plenty have tried that and found it doesn,t work.
Can you say the same thing .that you have done it?
If not why not find a thread in which you have something or revalence to add.If you can find one that is.

Last edited by bcraig; 02/08/14.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Imagine that !
I've no experience pouring water on a grease fire,It's my opinion it's a bad idea and am quite sure my opiniom isn't wrong ....imagine that

Based on the fact that many agencies use the 9mm against the most dangerous animal on the planet, then there is no doubt that the 9mm can cleanly kill a deer. Based on my experience kill a free range wild hog with a 9mm it will indeed kill a deer without drama as long as a bullet that has enough penetration is used and that bullet is placed in the heart lung area. The deer may run but there also can and do run when shot with a 300 mag

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd roll with Underwood 9mm 147gr bonded jhp at 1175 fps, or similar.

Can't be any worse than 30 Carbine, 25-20, 45 patched ball, 22rimfire, or a host of many small rounds that have killed deer effectively since dirt was young.

It's all about knowing when to pass, understanding the limitations of your chosen weapon/ammo, and placing the bullet well if an opportunity presents itself.

This one fell to a single 5mm rimfire mag,
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

+1...........

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'd roll with Underwood 9mm 147gr bonded jhp at 1175 fps, or similar.

Can't be any worse than 30 Carbine, 25-20, 45 patched ball, 22rimfire, or a host of many small rounds that have killed deer effectively since dirt was young.

It's all about knowing when to pass, understanding the limitations of your chosen weapon/ammo, and placing the bullet well if an opportunity presents itself.

This one fell to a single 5mm rimfire mag,
[Linked Image]

Yes I have been looking at the Underwood load and the HST load.
I have been hunting for over 42 of my 54 years and wont take a shot unless its a good shot based on experience.
Thanks for your input

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Imagine that !

Based on the fact that many agencies use the 9mm against the most dangerous animal on the planet, then there is no doubt that the 9mm can cleanly kill a deer. Based on my experience kill a free range wild hog with a 9mm it will indeed kill a deer without drama as long as a bullet that has enough penetration is used and that bullet is placed in the heart lung area. The deer may run but there also can and do run when shot with a 300 mag

Yes I have had a lot of them run 50-75 yards run with their heart and lungs destroyed with any number of centerfire rifle calibers and one that run 165 long steps with his heart blown completly into by a 165 gr 30-06 ! Took off like he never had a sick day in his life!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
May I respectfully ask is a 9mm your only autoloader?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have other handguns if that is what you are asking BUT I respectfully wonder what that has to do with my original question?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just wondering...carry on

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thank you for the go ahead.
I am just interested in the terminal performance of the 9mm Cartridge on deer.
Penetration,approx expansion etc.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1936M71, 2500HD, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.