Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
A 9mm is not a 22 rimfire.
It was your initial arrogant reply along with you continued use of the word stupid that caused me to slam your ass.
Now you dont have enough sense to do anything but call me a fool.
Why dont you just shut up unless you can add something usefull to my question.
You know you are very antaganistic and just wanting trouble.
Even your last post you talk about it not being the Shot or caliber but its you? You cant seem to make up your mind.
Now a 9mm is a toy to hunt with and I am a fool ?
Were Lee Juras and George Nonte fools as well?They hunted quite succesfully with 9mm and 45 autos as well as with blackpowder handguns.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Hunting deer or shooting deer can be quite different. Although I wouldn't necessarily hunt deer with a 9mm, I have shot deer with a 380 and had a friend shoot an antelope with a 9mm.

As with any other chosen cartridge, the shot needs to be good, so the work is getting to where that shot can be made...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the info and pics!

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RMiller2
I would use it. I would not make it my primary deer gun but I would use it if I wanted and it was legal.

The only handguns I have used on deer are 41 mag, 44 mag 454 casull and 9MM. The 9mm was a one shot double lung pass through with a 147 black talon at 20 yards. The deer ran 30 yards and fell dead. Exact thing happened when a hunting buddy also shot a deer at 20 yards with a 9mm and 147 Remington Golden Saber, double lung pass through, the deer ran about 15 feet and fell over.

If your buying a new pistol though the 9mm would be my last choice after the 45 and 40. The 40's wont be less of a good thing.

Thanks for the info and experience.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My son shot a deer a nice 9 pt and when
we were skinning it we heard something hit the he garage floor. It was a buckshot pellet.
I suppose the poacher still wonders how he could have missed.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
....90% of hunters will go to pieces when a deer is there....

Maybe 90% of the hunters you hang with - but not around here (or most anywhere else). Face it - you ain't that special.

...You want to use a toy to hunt with, you are a fool.
so many tout little guns but I shot a deer last season and found it with a fully expanded .22 on the neck...

Big deal. I picked an almost pristine 180 grain .30 caliber bullet out of an elk backstrap. Another elk I killed had been shot in the ass with a .270. I have an uncle who hunts exclusively with a .270 and kills elk cleanly every time. You can wound an animal with any caliber you use. Nobody here is proposing to hunt big game with a rimfire. I understand that is a common tool of the poachers in your area.

...Anyone that hunts with little stuff should be banned.

Some of us think that anyone who posts with a small mind should be banned too. But that would make the place a little less interesting.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never killed a deer with the 9 mm, but have killed a couple with the Sig P239 40 S&W and the Federal 180 gr Hydra Shocks that had their leg broken from a collision with a auto and they went right down . Would i hunt deer with a 9 mm, yes if it was all i had to hunt with , but it would be like i hunt with a Bow, from a tree stand at close range 40 yards and under and i would use my S&W M&P full size which i keep loaded with Hornady 135 gr Plus P Critical Duty Ammo

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
bcraig
I used a 9mm rifle (35 Whelen)
to shoot my deer this year. The reason I mention it is that it was a quartering away shot with a 200 grain Interlock round nose.
I was very surprised to find the expanded bullet still inside the deer. I don't think that has ever happened before. I shot it a second time which is very rare and he ran down into a steep ravine. Next year I am using 250 gr Speer.
Good luck with your pistol.
whelennut

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a fellow shoot a 300lb boar hog bayed in front of my dogs with 9mm with hollowpoints... he hit it right behind the shoulder ..it penetrated less than an inch into the shield. The hog acted like it had never been hit. Took a 7.62x39 to back of the head to stop it. The G26 is not legal to hunt with in Arkansas as it has less than 4" barrel...My G29 falls into this category also. If I had a big doe less than 25 yds..I would give it a shot if it was loaded with a good hollowpoint.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by whelennut
bcraig
I used a 9mm rifle (35 Whelen)
to shoot my deer this year. The reason I mention it is that it was a quartering away shot with a 200 grain Interlock round nose.
I was very surprised to find the expanded bullet still inside the deer. I don't think that has ever happened before. I shot it a second time which is very rare and he ran down into a steep ravine. Next year I am using 250 gr Speer.
Good luck with your pistol.
whelennut

Thanks and good luck to you as well.Think I will stick to broadside lung shots .

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by southarkrob
I had a fellow shoot a 300lb boar hog bayed in front of my dogs with 9mm with hollowpoints... he hit it right behind the shoulder ..it penetrated less than an inch into the shield. The hog acted like it had never been hit. Took a 7.62x39 to back of the head to stop it. The G26 is not legal to hunt with in Arkansas as it has less than 4" barrel...My G29 falls into this category also. If I had a big doe less than 25 yds..I would give it a shot if it was loaded with a good hollowpoint.

Goodness Rob ,do you know what bullet he was using ?
Think I would have done a headshot on a bayed 300 pound boar instead of trying to get through the shield.
I am thinking more along the lines of using it on a 75-125 pound doe myself.
G26 will be no problem as I have a Glock 19 Barrel for it so everything will be all nice and legal .
Sure would hate to be harassed over half an inch of barrel, hunting on my own property.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Southarkrob, you have seen the problem I have with the 9mm.....poor bullet selection. Many (make that most) 9mm bullets are light and quick expanding hollowpoints designed for use on man-size targets to "stop"....not nessisarily kill.

On a deer size target that you "DO" intend to kill, this can mean a lack of penetration and possible "failure". This is why I prefer (if I'm going to use a 9mm at all) a heavier 147 grain flatpoint. It won't normally expand, but WILL penetrate to kill the beast.

Probably why I have always found the .32-20 to be superior, even though the "ballistics" show it's no better than the 9mm. The typical .32-20 bullet is hard cast lead which gives some (although not a lot) of expansion, but still penetrates very well.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you are hunting on your own property that changes things. I prefer a broadside lung shot because I have a background in archery.
My neighbor does not hunt and the last thing
I want is a wounded deer making it over the line.
Bob Hagel once wrote that you shouldn't use a gun that works when everything is perfect
you should use a gun/ammunition that will work when everything goes wrong.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Southarkrob, you have seen the problem I have with the 9mm.....poor bullet selection. Many (make that most) 9mm bullets are light and quick expanding hollowpoints designed for use on man-size targets to "stop"....not nessisarily kill.

On a deer size target that you "DO" intend to kill, this can mean a lack of penetration and possible "failure". This is why I prefer (if I'm going to use a 9mm at all) a heavier 147 grain flatpoint. It won't normally expand, but WILL penetrate to kill the beast.

Probably why I have always found the .32-20 to be superior, even though the "ballistics" show it's no better than the 9mm. The typical .32-20 bullet is hard cast lead which gives some (although not a lot) of expansion, but still penetrates very well.

Sounds like the 32-20 bullet is a lead bullet but Not a Hard cast .
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets.Now lead or cast bullets that expand kill very quickly.
Best kills I have seen were with cast but they were paper patched pure lead cast.The paper to prevent leading and the pure lead for expansion.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by whelennut
If you are hunting on your own property that changes things. I prefer a broadside lung shot because I have a background in archery.
My neighbor does not hunt and the last thing
I want is a wounded deer making it over the line.
Bob Hagel once wrote that you shouldn't use a gun that works when everything is perfect
you should use a gun/ammunition that will work when everything goes wrong.

Yes family farm where I have been hunting for over 40 years.
I used to do a lot of bowhunting as well and have killed with recurves,longbows,crossbows and even made my own bows and arrows fron Hickory I cut on the farm.
I have killed enough deer in my life that if I kill one fine if I dont fine, I just enjoy being out in the woods. That is why I say I will choose my shots,I am not a hunter who has to shoot at every deer I see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=bcraigSounds like the 32-20 bullet is a lead bullet but Not a Hard cast .
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets. [/quote]

This is absolutely dependent upon the nose profile of the bullet. A round nosed profile will poke a hole, but a large meplat (flat nose) will do a lot more than a caliber sized hole.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
[quote=bcraigSounds like the 32-20 bullet is a lead bullet but Not a Hard cast .
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets.

This is absolutely dependent upon the nose profile of the bullet. A round nosed profile will poke a hole, but a large meplat (flat nose) will do a lot more than a caliber sized hole. [/quote]

Not in my experience,I know the large Meplat theory,bought into it and used them on deer and I have used a bunch of them,Read Veral Smiths book and found that on deer sized game hard cast (water dropped wheelweights ) WFN are a poor killer compared to a a good Jacketed hollowpoint that penetrates into the vitals.
Had a talk with JD Jones(a handgun hunting authority if there ever was one) umteen years ago and I mentioned the Hard cast for deer and he told me the Jacketed softpoints and Hollowpoints would kill faster on DEER size game and basically the only reason to use a hardcast was when a soft point or hollowpoint would not reach the vitals of the animal you were shooting,IE Hunting Elephants,Cape Buffalo etc with a 44 mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcraig
True Hardcast bullets generally just poke a hole in my experience and the slowest kills on anything I have ever seen were made by Hardcast Bullets.

This is absolutely dependent upon the nose profile of the bullet. A round nosed profile will poke a hole, but a large meplat (flat nose) will do a lot more than a caliber sized hole.

Not in my experience,I know the large Meplat theory,bought into it and used them on deer and I have used a bunch of them,Read Veral Smiths book and found that on deer sized game hard cast (water dropped wheelweights ) WFN are a poor killer compared to a a good Jacketed hollowpoint that penetrates into the vitals.
Had a talk with JD Jones(a handgun hunting authority if there ever was one) umteen years ago and I mentioned the Hard cast for deer and he told me the Jacketed softpoints and Hollowpoints would kill faster on DEER size game and basically the only reason to use a hardcast was when a soft point or hollowpoint would not reach the vitals of the animal you were shooting,IE Hunting Elephants,Cape Buffalo etc with a 44 mag.
[/quote]

For thin skinned game like deer, I often use hollow-points, but when the game gets tougher, I prefer LBT bullets. I have found that when I do my job, they are certainly not a "poor killer" and in fact do a lot of damage to include breaking bones even on thin-skinned animals. A WFN produces a sizeable wound channel.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[/quote]

Not in my experience a proper nose profile and me plat size has always left good wound channels for me and killed very well on deer sized game and I have taken a lot of them useing LBT LFNs and WFNS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

Not in my experience a proper nose profile and me plat size has always left good wound channels for me and killed very well on deer sized game and I have taken a lot of them useing LBT LFNs and WFNS

[/quote]
There we are,I believe you 100%.
I also believe me 100%.
I think the expression is YMMV !! LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by southarkrob

your friend needs a different bullet like the Hornady Plus P 135 gr Critical Duty. I would be willing to bet the boars shield won't stop this bullet at dog hunting range. My 250 gr Keith Cast bullet from my 4 inch 44 Magnums with 20 gr of 2400 never fails to penetrate and put deer down quick .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,925
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.