Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
djb: It is all about Murphy's law. Rather address an issue before it pops up (or off).

For the record, no Rem 700 has ever given me a single problem.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice thing about a Kimber Montana, I have a very light rifle with a screwed on bolt and crf for all those big bad grizzlies that are set on killing everyone here in Montana laugh

"9lb CRF"... I can build an all-up 7.5 lb M70 easily with no fluting. But Kimber MT is just easier...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
djb Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
For the record, no Rem 700 has ever given me a single problem.

Me neither unless you count parts lost in the mail crazy

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes....I know...nothing ever breaks.

When was the last time you hunted 2000 miles from home? Just curious.

I don't suffer crosses; and no doubt, to your surprise, have hunted the west mostly on my own. I try to leave home "ready", without concession to flawed designs... smile

i'd be slow to play the 'miles traveled to hunt' card...

the idea that the farther you get from the game, the more important the rifle becomes may have merit somehow, but I'm not seeing it.

well, maybe psychological, but that's not universal.

a gun nut trying to justify features deemed necessary is a world apart from a hunter viewing the rifle as a tool. the most badass non-resident hunter I've met was carrying a Savage 110 in Tupperware.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
never

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

You're just left to trust.....

Trust? Screw that... grin

Here's my own view on it not intending to get anyone riled; but there's a difference(even if just psychological) between being a days drive or hike from the home front, or access to a backup rifle on the one hand, and being 2000-6000 miles from home and deep in a wilderness area at that...and experiencing a mechanical problem with an important piece of gear that simply can't be fixed.

In one situation a mechanical problem is an annoyance and inconvenience(but not beyond help),and in the other it's a complete disaster, leaving you possibly "unarmed"....the variations in logistics is imponderable and impossible to predict in advance.

In the case of a "travel" rifle, it only seems prudent to me to have a backup "plan" that includes avoiding the possibility of the problem WAY in advance, in the unlikely event that he improbable happens.

Me personally of course but for travel and hunting a long way from home I look at the rifle and ask "what can fail?" (which can happen with anything). Some things I can do nothing about (broken stock, say),but a backup scope and provision to mount it is a place to start. From there, most likely to crap out are extractor and ejector systems and triggers....these are most vulnerable to failure.

A bolt handle that COULD or MIGHT, or is known to now and then, pop off, should be dealt with in advance, or left at home in lieu of another less vulnerable design.

To me mechanical reliability is just infinitely more important than fractional differences in accuracy, weight, or other minor stuff because if your rifle suddenly does not "work", you are immediately "sunk"....JMHO and YMMV. smile

Big time +1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
An easier question might be - "who hasn't had one fall off?

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

smile

That's what I was thinking too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've owned 3 700s and one 7. No bolt handle problems. Did get one of the infamous remington triggers though. BDL 300Mag that would fire by disengaging the safety. It went to the gunsmith then went down the road.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And we're off!!!!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Remington handles out of over 100, 700's but I did have a Kimber SVT bolt fall off in my hand extracting a fired case.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, if you'll stop hunting when it's -114*F your bolt won't fall off.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck

smile

Me. But I've never had an issue with Firefox either. whistle grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess like anything else, QC can suffer when you pump out 5+ million rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

You're just left to trust.....

Trust? Screw that... grin

Here's my own view on it not intending to get anyone riled; but there's a difference(even if just psychological) between being a days drive or hike from the home front, or access to a backup rifle on the one hand, and being 2000-6000 miles from home and deep in a wilderness area at that...and experiencing a mechanical problem with an important piece of gear that simply can't be fixed.

In one situation a mechanical problem is an annoyance and inconvenience(but not beyond help),and in the other it's a complete disaster, leaving you possibly "unarmed"....the variations in logistics is imponderable and impossible to predict in advance.

In the case of a "travel" rifle, it only seems prudent to me to have a backup "plan" that includes avoiding the possibility of the problem WAY in advance, in the unlikely event that he improbable happens.

Me personally of course but for travel and hunting a long way from home I look at the rifle and ask "what can fail?" (which can happen with anything). Some things I can do nothing about (broken stock, say),but a backup scope and provision to mount it is a place to start. From there, most likely to crap out are extractor and ejector systems and triggers....these are most vulnerable to failure.

A bolt handle that COULD or MIGHT, or is known to now and then, pop off, should be dealt with in advance, or left at home in lieu of another less vulnerable design.

To me mechanical reliability is just infinitely more important than fractional differences in accuracy, weight, or other minor stuff because if your rifle suddenly does not "work", you are immediately "sunk"....JMHO and YMMV. smile

Well said, as usual.

In my own case I normally hunt about 5-6 hours from home. Call it a day-long round trip minimum, possibly more if the weather is bad. When a Ruger M77 in 7mm RM was my only bolt rifle (the first 20+ years) I never gave potential problems much thought. Early on Dad gave me a Browning B92 in .44 Mag and, although I took it along and hunted with it at least one day a year for many years, I never needed it as a back-up.

Last year my daughter went on her first-ever hunt and used my Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts to take her first big game animal. After the shot we discovered she couldn't open the bolt without a lot of work and bolt wiggling - the kind of problem that could get you killed in griz country if a follow-up shot was needed but was just an annoyance hunting antelope, especially when other rifles were available. (No, it wasn't a hot load, something with the extractor was sticking. Ruger says they "REPAIRED EXTRACTOR, POLISHED CHAMBER". I was never able to figure out exactly what the problem was.) I wouldn't have thought a Ruger extractor could cause such problems, now I know better. Guess I'll continue to take two rifles elk hunting, particularly since my buddies tend to leave for home days before I do.

I've had exactly two Remington M700's, a BDL .308 Win and a "Special Purpose Wood".30-06. The .308 got sold to fund my first AR. It was a looker with excellent wood and was exquisitely accurate but it didn't provide any practical benefit in the field. I still have the much plainer .30-06. Do I worry about the bolt handle breaking off? Not to the point of obsession, to be sure, but I recognize it is something that has happened to others under purely pedestrian conditions of use. In other words, if the Remington goes it won't be the only one. Same deal as my Rugers.

For those that say something along the lines of "It hasn't happened to me", don't kid yourself - it happens often enough that some people personally experience multiple occurrences. It seems to me that if taking a M700 as my only rifle on a trip far from home, a small investment in screws or welding could prevent what might be a "minor issue" closer to home becoming a major problem.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wonder how far this guy travels to hunt...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The military provides all manner of absolute chit for our guys to use... lowest bid stuff. That the military uses something often proves/means exactly nothing, except that the Rem 700 is easy to chuck up on a lathe and re-work by anyone marginally qualified to use a lathe, and that a buzillion aftermarket parts are available for it. It's a toilet paper tube you can attach chit to. Perfect for a military armorer, a cheap means to an end.

I have nothing against 700's, just trying to keep a little reality in the conversation.

700's make excellent varmint rifles laugh

When Dave Gentry was alive I asked him about the 700 bolt handle and he told me he re-welded a number each year...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
what Dave said means less than zero to me. I have one of his rifles and that was/is the biggest POS in my safe. it is a Winchester M70 and i'll take any of my M700s anywhere long before I take that POS.

how many bolt handles have you broken off, Brad?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had a 700 handle come off because I've only owned a dozen or so 700's and only hunted them lightly... just don't like them, except as a varminter.

Dave was a borderline genius when it came to sorting out a Mauser action... there aren't many guys that could take a chunk of steel and mill it into a finished action. All the work he did for me was top shelf.

Anything else, I can't comment on.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agreed Rem 700s make good varminters, all of mine are 700s�.and oddly enough they get ten times ( minimum) the usage of any of my big game guns, and Ive still never had a bolt handle fall off�.as mentioned before, I have seen it, in the Remington Authorized repair shop, but only three times in 22 years and thousands of rifles. Im takin' my chances...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,546
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.