Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
bfr..,

A survey was done long ago between the .357 and .44 mag. The .357 lost 50% of deer hit while the .44 had 100% recovery

HORSEFEATHERS!!!

That must have been a survey of wannabe pistol shooters or arm chair hunters. I was a conservation officer for six years in the state you claim to live in. During that period (1970s) every officer in the state carried a 4" M19 S&W .357. With that superb weapon we killed wild dogs, finished off crippled game including deer and bear and even a few scumbags. Not one of us ever complained about lack of fire power. In fact, I only heard complaints when the department switched to the .40S&W.

One winter I carried a 1917 S&W in .45ACP under my jacket as a second gun. After using it in a number of situations, I traded it off as it was decidedly lacking in power compared to the .357.

I have personally killed enuff deer with that 4".357 to fill the bed of several pick ups, the longest shot being across Big Coal River about 80yds or so, and never lost one.

So, in my experience, the guy who says a .357 won't cleanly kill a deer either hasn't tried or can't shoot.

O

You did not see what I said at all. It was the first bullets that were were not right for deer. Same with the .41. It IS NOT THE CALIBER. The wrong bullet has to be placed exactly and I am right that almost all hunters CAN'T do it.
Sounds like you were feet from a car hit animal most of the time.
I would love to see you shoot a 4" at 80 yards to kill animals with ANY caliber. I bet if I put a bottle of water at 80 yards you will never hit it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
bfr..,

A survey was done long ago between the .357 and .44 mag. The .357 lost 50% of deer hit while the .44 had 100% recovery

HORSEFEATHERS!!!

That must have been a survey of wannabe pistol shooters or arm chair hunters. I was a conservation officer for six years in the state you claim to live in. During that period (1970s) every officer in the state carried a 4" M19 S&W .357. With that superb weapon we killed wild dogs, finished off crippled game including deer and bear and even a few scumbags. Not one of us ever complained about lack of fire power. In fact, I only heard complaints when the department switched to the .40S&W.

One winter I carried a 1917 S&W in .45ACP under my jacket as a second gun. After using it in a number of situations, I traded it off as it was decidedly lacking in power compared to the .357.

I have personally killed enuff deer with that 4".357 to fill the bed of several pick ups, the longest shot being across Big Coal River about 80yds or so, and never lost one.

So, in my experience, the guy who says a .357 won't cleanly kill a deer either hasn't tried or can't shoot.

O

You did not see what I said at all. It was the first bullets that were were not right for deer. Same with the .41. It IS NOT THE CALIBER. The wrong bullet has to be placed exactly and I am right that almost all hunters CAN'T do it.
I would love to see you shoot a 4" at 80 yards to kill animals with ANY caliber. I bet if I put a bottle of water at 80 yards you will never hit it.

maybe you should practice more.....hell i could hita pop can at 100 with a 22 pistol 7 out of 10 shots with a gun with fixed sights that was lobbing the bullets like an old fashioned catabult.....a centerfire with a flatter trajectory would make it alot easier......100 yards is prolly farther than i would shoot a deer off hand with a revolver, if im gonna be shooting that far might as well just pack a rifle, but the shot is far from being extremely difficult....

Last edited by rattler; 03/04/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bet if I put a bottle of water at 80 yards you will never hit it.

Judging others by yourself again???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i think he would chit himself if he ever watched Paladin shoot laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had the buck fever when I started deer hunting, archery. But with the string tension it went away. I have had the shakes but after so many deer it is no longer there. I have over 255 deer with the bow.
But I see friends that come to hunt. They can put all shots in the bull on paper but can NEVER hit a deer. My neighbors all hunt and to hear the amount of shots is crazy, they can't hit with the rifle. One friend missed 7 deer last season but is a good shot.
It is no detraction to those with control but so many just can't do it with an animal. Some are calm but most are not.
I lost count but have over 550 deer kills and still will not bluff you that I can shoot a deer in the spine or in the eye. Deer move, are at all distances and angles. I prefer a deer walking and even hit better on a running deer. I prefer the smooth movement of the gun instead of trying to hold steady on a standing deer.
I kill deer off hand with revolvers well over 100 yards but prefer 20 or less.
Ask Craig how many deer he has killed.
Yes some here do shoot good but let me replace your .22 with a .500 and show me.
I will bet a lot of money that Craig can't hit a bottle at 50 yards with my guns and will make tater furrows in the ground. I will put him on stand with deer all over to see him fail.
I know how stinking hard it is to shoot revolvers, don't blow smoke about shooting targets and not animals. Most can't shoot 5" at 10 yards.
I met those guys. White House security guy came to shoot his Glock. Big tough guy, full of himself. He put a large target at 10 yards and missed paper with most shots. My friend Pete came down, asked if he could shoot the Glock. He poked the center out. I was busting targets at 100 yards with revolvers. The big POS left and never came back.
I meet the bluffers all the time and keyboard experts are worse.
Craig does not believe because he does not know because he is a bad shot and can't load right.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We're so unworthy of Jim's presence.

[Linked Image]

No shooting, just reading. Doesn't hold a candle to Jim's magical half inch groups on paint cans but it is realistic and most importantly, it did really happen.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rattler
bfr..,

HORSEFEATHERS!!!

O

maybe you should practice more.....hell i could hita pop can at 100 with a 22 pistol 7 out of 10 shots with a gun with fixed sights that was lobbing the bullets like an old fashioned catabult.....a centerfire with a flatter trajectory would make it alot easier......100 yards is prolly farther than i would shoot a deer off hand with a revolver, if im gonna be shooting that far might as well just pack a rifle, but the shot is far from being extremely difficult....
Sure, but how high did you aim? The Ruger Mark I was on at 25 yards and the bullet crossed the line of sight again at 80 yards. That means you were not aiming at the can and that is OK.
The Ruger will be 53" low at 200 yards but I can hit steel there with the right hold over.
My best 500 yard group with the 45-70 BFR was aimed at a tree branch 26" feet high. ( Not sure, spotter told me where I was.) No way to measure. Craig would run down with a tape to tell me I was wrong!
Hey Craig, show targets without lying.
JWP is fading away from sites because of lies and hatred. Personal hatred. You should see the PM's, the man is brain damaged.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I feel cheated. I missed out on seeing all the bad shooting and buck fever that my friends were supposed to exhibit. Would have been fun to see.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It must be a regional thing....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CraigC
We're so unworthy of Jim's presence.

[Linked Image]

No shooting, just reading. Doesn't hold a candle to Jim's magical half inch groups on paint cans but it is realistic and most importantly, it did really happen.

[Linked Image]

Is that a group? The SRH can do 1/2" 50 yards. Looks like a 10 yard group to me.
How about three shots at 100 yards from my SBH off hand. [Linked Image]

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're so predictable it's hardly even funny. Such an idiot, you goad people into posting pics as "proof" and then, just like clockwork, you do just what you did right there. For all to see, in a nutshell, what a spiteful, narrow-minded and willfully ignorant moron you really are. Nobody believes your half inch group nonsense, unless it's YOU who's shooting at 10yds.

You get the shakes when the bottle runs dry???

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Give it up Craig. You have no idea what a SRH will do. You can't make a revolver shoot. [Linked Image]
The three left cans were shot at 200 yards with revolvers. SRH and others. The right one shot twice at 100 yards.
Call me a liar. But you show nothing. You don't like cans and make fun but you are a loss to those that want to learn. I can tell how but you just can't.
I have been going crazy with PM's and E mails to help and no one is denied,. I will do my best for all. You offer nothing.
I want NOTHING other then to help because we are shooters and a brotherhood. Respect and friends. Something you have not learned. I see you bashing your hands and screaming bloody murder.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CraigC
You're so predictable it's hardly even funny. Such an idiot, you goad people into posting pics as "proof" and then, just like clockwork, you do just what you did right there. For all to see, in a nutshell, what a spiteful, narrow-minded and willfully ignorant moron you really are. Nobody believes your half inch group nonsense, unless it's YOU who's shooting at 10yds.

You get the shakes when the bottle runs dry???

Show something or shut up.
I start at 50 yards and go to 500 meters so for you, stupid, that is 547 yards.
The only thing you can prove is when you drop a boolit on your foot. The SRH group you showed would be about right at 700 yards.
You love Elmer but he was RIGHT and you can't do it.
I was shooting the .44 in 1956 to 400 and all the way to 550 yards off hand but you think 10 yards is far.
You should buy a rifle but don't hunt here, I don't want crippled deer.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do you keep every can you shoot?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have killed deer with the .357, .41 mag, and the .45 colt, and I hand load for all of them.

But if limited to one handgun for deer hunting it would be the .44 SPL. Covers all the bases very well. Accurate, hits hard, and very pleasant to shoot. A 240 hard cast at 1000 fps works very well.

Last edited by CrowRifle; 03/05/14.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

JWP is fading away from sites because of lies and hatred. Personal hatred. You should see the PM's, the man is brain damaged.

Can't pass up an opportunity to bash some body that isn't even involved.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Again with the "measuring" contest. Pathetic is not a strong enough word. For the record, smart guy, I don't claim to be a fantastic shot. I don't even claim to be better than you. I'm just more truthful. You don't even see the hypocrisy of your own posts. You ask for pics as "proof" of something, yet discredit any pic posted by anyone but yourself. Fact is, anyone can post anything and claim it is whatever they wish. I shot the target above at 50yds. It was the last group of the day, with a sixgun I hadn't shot in several years, getting the new MatchDot on paper and doing some preliminary testing. It was four shots instead of five because I had a misfire in my last ten rounds. That is the truth. I just as easily could've claimed it was fired at 100 or 200yds but unlike yourself, I'm not here to be "top dog" or to get my ego stroked. I'm here because I love this [bleep] and have dedicated more of my life to it than not.

I have no doubt that the SRH could do better with a tailored load and/or in better hands. None whatsoever. However, it is the rare revolver that will shoot an inch or less at 50yds. Your claims of bone stock Rugers shooting that well are simply bullshit. That is typically the realm of Freedom Arms or custom line-bored five-shot Rugers. I'm not talking about a one time fluke but consistent results. Unlike you, I don't do all my shooting from the bench and only do it for testing purposes. You see, in the real world, 4MOA is good accuracy from a revolver.

As for the rest of what I do, I picked up and moved 750miles from where I grew up to have a place to shoot and hunt. Both of which I do year round. No, I don't take a bunch of pictures of the critters or paint cans that I shoot. I never felt the need and because like I said, anyone can post anything on the internet and make whatever claim they like.

You don't want to help people, you want to be revered like Taffin but don't have what it takes to make it so. That is the cold, hard truth.

A preliminary shot of my new gun room, my latest offering in the dick measuring contest. You know, that thing I spent all that money building that I don't really need because I don't "do" anything. Douchebag.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I want NOTHING other then to help because we are shooters and a brotherhood.

You don't know diddly-squat about brotherhood, pal. Give it a rest. You have no credibility here. None.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fine with me and I don't need a special room. That is 7 yard shooting at the most.
You see, I am not a better shooter then most and can be worse. I only claim to make the revolver shoot because of a lot of work.
Yes, I keep cans to show you how a revolver can shoot.
But I have a stack of targets too.
How about the last two bullets I had at 200 meters on a cardboard chicken. Open sights from Creedmore. [Linked Image]
I was shooting the pistol and finished with the .44 SBH.
Craig can't show anything, he just loves the keys on the board.

Last edited by bfrshooter; 03/06/14.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What, no snide comment about my new gun room, oh master of the two shot group? whistle

You'd cry if I told you how much money I make pecking on this keyboard.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,908
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.