Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Can valve seats be recut while the engine sits in the vehicle? (flat four). I've got rust damage on all seats. Two will prolly have to be recut. The rest can prolly be lapped. Valve man is coming for a look-see on Friday. Damn, I sure hope I don't have to pull the engine. Hoping he has a jig that lets him cut the seats without pulling the engine. (Its a jeep L-head 134 Go Devil). My fault. I let rain water into the spark plug holes and now I am paying the price.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can valve seats be recut while the engine sits in the vehicle?

Yes,....piece of cake.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Crossfire:

I assume they have some sort of jig that you bolt to the head and power it with a drill or some such thing. I presume my valve guy has one.

Jordan

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I remember correctly, the tool fits down in the valve guide and is done the same way as if the engine were out. Same deal with OHV setup. He might find that the valve guides need replacing which should be an easy job also.

Good luck.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No "jig, no "bolting"

Goodway (among others) has expanding pilots that co-ax in the guide, and carbide cutters that slip over the pilot.

A GOOD hand can power them by hand, or you can attach a drill motor.

This tooling was common fare, back when the flathead was the rule, rather than the exception, and "In Frame" overhauls were common..

I'd venture the seats that you THINK need "cutting" would deliver fine service just lapped.

You're win-win regardless,.....and if your "valve Guy" tells you you need to pull the engine , he's a confused idiot.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
No "jig, no "bolting"

Goodway (among others) has expanding pilots that co-ax in the guide, and carbide cutters that slip over the pilot.

A GOOD hand can power them by hand, or you can attach a drill motor.

This tooling was common fare, back when the flathead was the rule, rather than the exception, and "In Frame" overhauls were common..

I'd venture the seats that you THINK need "cutting" would deliver fine service just lapped.

You're win-win regardless,.....and if your "valve Guy" tells you you need to pull the engine , he's a confused idiot.

GTC

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your expertise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Edit,....wrong valve tool co. name,....

Its NEWWAY,....not "GoodWay".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like Cross said, lapping probably would do it. That is done with a little valve grind compound and a suction cup on the end of a round handle.

Nothin to it.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys. Good to have such expertise on this site.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fact that "Clearances" were quite a bit roomier, and the "Marine Bearings" of that day were WAY more tolerant of particulate debris in the engine's oil,.....does NOT mean one should behave like a swine.

"Caulk" the ports individually with clean Rags or Paper Shop towels, and try and be REAL meticulous about wiping off all residual grinding compound, prior to reassembly.

Make yourself a "Valve Stick" and keep track of who goes where, in terms of Respective holes.

You ARE going to need a spring compressor, and you'd damn sure better plug all your oil raceways in the valve gallery ,....prior to srarting the "Knockdown",.....a lost keeper battering in the wrong area is no joke ( even though they'll mostly just disappear, you're still going to be SHORT one keeper).

I make up alla' my gallery plugs beforehand, with stout twine or wire attached to whatever I'm using,....I don't want little chunks of rag zooming around inside, either.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/11/14.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan.....What Cross said. Great advise from someone who has been there, done that. You will most likely be surprised at what a little lapping will do. Best of luck, keep us posted later.

Sean
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (1936M71, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,715
Posts18,475,585
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.