Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I switched over to ladder stands a few years ago. Way safer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you are getting better, I'm scared of heights.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I switched over to ladder stands a few years ago. Way safer.

Safer, but not foolproof. Buckle up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
bea175
If you don't mine me asking , how old are you ?

I'll be 62 next week.

RWE
If it's repairable, give me a pm. It wouldn't be the first 336 I've had to "adjust" Won't look as new, but it'll have "character"

I dont know enough to know if its repairable or not. Let me talk to someone that might know and I'll get back to you. Thanks!

Thanks to all for your well wishes, advice, and smart azz remarks... grin grin grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you think would have been the outcome if you did not have your cell phone? Just wondering.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glad you're on the mend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad you're on the mend.
+ 1000 on the harness!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hope you recover 100%. Glad your still upright, that could have ended very differently.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OO

What do you think would have been the outcome if you did not have your cell phone? Just wondering.

I'm pretty sure I know part of what would have happened. Some time after dark, my wife would have called friends and family, and a search would have started.

Whether they would have found me that night, I dont know!

I'm sure they would have found me the next day, what shape I would have been in, who knows?

To find me as quick as they did, I had to use the rescue helicopter and guide them to me. They got the coordinates and radioed them to rescuers on the ground and they got to within 150-200 yds of me, close enough I could hear them calling my name. The rescue fellows started IV and got me in a clam shell, rode me out on a 4 wheeler for about a mile, transferred to a pickup for a couple of miles, then on the helicopter for the trip to the hospital.

I know I was stupid and lucky. That's why I encourage everyone to use a safety harness.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
After all that, I think you should do something nice and get a pre-64 94. smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whew gives me pause, hunting out of trees where I hunt now is about the only way to get er done

but also got me thinking of ways to do it safer. no cell service where we hunt and my pard was 2 miles upstream, if I'd have taken a spill that bad I'd have laid there all night till he came to look for me next a.m. after no radio contact.

brrr I ain't relishing that thought, it was chilly this year.

so far I climb and saw limbs, no harness, clear me out a place to place my board(s) and always just free handing it, though I do try and be slow, methodical and careful when messing around that high up

2 seasons ago I was afraid to try and come down outa the big spruce I was 30-40 feet up as the wind was howling something fierce, tree I was in was swaying back and forth, trees crashing down around me.

you've given me pause to come up with a better plan.

am certainly hoping you heal up well.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got a pre-64 model 70, does that count?

2L2Q

I'm like you, I like to hunt out of trees, but from now on, I will wear a safety harness.

Last edited by Oldman2003; 02/11/14.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What an ordeal.

Glad you are still among the living.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you are healing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oldman,

Glad you are better! sounds like your sense of humor is intact as well! take care buddy!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you are back home and on the mend.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oldman,

I admire your cander and really appreciate a man that can "tell" on themselves in order to help another [possibly] avoid the experience.

I certainly wish you to be "back in the saddle" soon. May you have a speedy recovery!

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
several years ago i was reading a thread about safety harnesses on a traditional bow hunting forum. one guy posted something like this, "my stand gave way and i fell 20 feet to the ground. as soon as i hit i immediately knew i was paralyzed". and he was (and is today), paralyzed from the shoulders down. the tip regarding using a proper safety harness can't be repeated enough.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wildbill59
I don't hunt tree stands, only 4 legged platforms with a nice swivel seat. I building one this year with a roof and sliding winders.

You can fall from a 4 legged one with a seat or a tripod also. Even if railed things can happen...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oldman, glad to hear you are still with us. We had a local friend of ours fall from a tree stand some years ago. He did not survive the fall.

I think the rule on wearing the harness should be repeated as often as we can. Its no different than a seat belt in many ways. You never need it until you do, but you can't put it on fast enough at that time... has to be on first.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (1minute, 16penny, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,367
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.