Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Yep, they are nice guns. Really like mine. Glad you like yours. I also have Weatherby Vanguard S2 .30-06.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd look at the Leupy VX-3 2.5-8x36 for that .270 BLR. Should be just about perfect.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
yep, that would be a good scope

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cosmic, I have not had a problem manipulating the hammer on my rifle. The newer ones have a folding type hammer - mine doesn't - so the comparison may not be valid - I haven't handled one like you own. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I haven't seen any extension hammer spurs for the new model, tons of them out there for the old model. Browning does not recommend them according to their web page. http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=118

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I love my older (drop down magazine) style BLR in 358. I think your 270 would make a fine coyote rifle.

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
As odessa mentioned the newer versions have a folding hammer and I believe it is wider [0.6"] than the older versions. I too have looked for hammer extensions and could find them for the older [pre-1992] versions but they appear to be scarce for the newer versions. Thanks vabeachman for the link to the info on the Browning website recommending against the use of hammer extensions on the BLR.

I have mounted a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm scope on my BLR using Millett bases and Leupold medium height rings. I had to remove the rear sight to get the objective bell to clear. Here are some close-up photos showing the set up with the hammer in different positions.

This first picture is with the hammer down:
[Linked Image]

This picture is with the hammer at half-cock:
[Linked Image]

This picture is with the hammer at full-cock:
[Linked Image]

This picture is with the hammer at half-cock and folded into the safety position:
[Linked Image]

With bare hands the hammer is manageable but gloved it would be more challenging.

CC
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My brother in law shoots a .270 in the BLR. I think it is about 10 years old. He just dropped a doe at 400 yards with it and loves it. Good shooting gun. He just put a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 on it. He has no hammer spur or anything like that. seems to work fine for him. Good gun and great round.

FSTF
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
dhershberger: Thanks for the comments. After only one outing I'm already getting the feeling that my BLR is going to become my "go-to" gun. Does your brother-in-law handload for his BLR .270 Win or does he shoot factory ammo?

CC
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cosmic, first photo's I've seen of your new rifle - very nice. You went about this the right way, gathering all the info you could before dropping the cash. Looks like you did very well for yourself - nice looking rig. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks Odessa. I assume you are referring to the one over on this thread: HOME � Forums � Hunting & Shooting � Hunting Rifles � Browning BLR

I've been meaning to ask you about the butt pad on your BLR. Is it original or one you added later? The shape and angle is different from the one on mine.

CC
S
S
Here is my 7mm-08 I had a 3x9x40 on it, but it seemed top heavy for me. I put this VX-3 1.75x6x32 on it and I like the feel much better.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice BLR shermmy123.

I think the fit of the scope depends somewhat on the action length. On my LA .270 Win a 3-9x40 scope fits the gun well. On a SA like the 7mm-08 a smaller scope is probably a better fit.

CC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are terrible! Now I got my wheels turning after looking/reading all this about these BLR's. Those are niiice looking rigs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know what you mean, I had a nice BLR and have been missing it, I have been thinking about one exactly like CosmicCoder's also in 270 Win although the walnut/stainless might be a bit better for where I live. I'm sure pretty much anyone who handles a BLR will be really impressed with the handling characteristics of them, they just seem lively and point super well. The one I had was accurate with several loads grouping 3/4" or so at 100 yards.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 02/07/14.

Gerry.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Yep. You are right. I really like the way they handle. My brother has used mine and he took out a couple of running does from a group and was impressed on how well it pointed and cyled. Can't go wrong with a BLR in my opinion. Good looking, functions well, holds it value. A great gun.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CosmicCoder
Thanks Odessa. I assume you are referring to the one over on this thread: HOME � Forums � Hunting & Shooting � Hunting Rifles � Browning BLR

I've been meaning to ask you about the butt pad on your BLR. Is it original or one you added later? The shape and angle is different from the one on mine.

Sorry Cosmic, I haven't read this thread in a few weeks. The recoil pad on my rifle is a Browning factory pad (Pachmayr).

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello Odessa. After looking at the pictures of our rifles again I think the recoil pads are probably the same. I just noticed that the link in my post above is broken and I can't re-edit it now so here is the picture again:
[Linked Image]

CC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like a nice chunk of walnut CC. These dang BLR's keep calling out to me.....

Gerry.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Can't go wrong. Get yourself one.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.