Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Snubbie, how are the Asolos for durability?

I've only had them about a year now. I wore them turkey hunting last spring, hiking during the summer, although most of my longer hikes I wore the Lowa's, and I wore them on a backpack mulie hunt in Idaho last fall where we encountered some pretty rugged terrain.
So far they've held up well and look almost new but realistically, it's really too early to tell how well they will eventually hold up.

But they fit my foot well, just enough room in the middle and heel area and a largish front.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't like insulated Gore-tex boots. The goretex is a bootie inside the boot with the insulation outside. When it gets soaked, your foot is in a waterproof baggie floating in ice water. Besides being cold from that, when the insulation is soaked, moisture from your foot can't escape so you get a double whammy. I prefer an uninsulated Gore-tex with room for extra warm socks.

RC, are you saying the Rimrocks are insulated? They are not.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blgoode
Lowa Tibet for a stiffer boot for heavier packs
Lowa Renegade for less stiff boot for less heavy packs

Any reason not to get the Lowa Tibet for both scenarios?

Also, I see Asolos are getting mentioned. I have been getting the impression that Asolo boots may be a bit overhyped? At least that is what I am gathering reading online reviews. As I mentioned before though, the online reviews are impossible to really interpret well. You can't tell what is genuine and what is BS sometimes.

Stush
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't like insulated Gore-tex boots. The goretex is a bootie inside the boot with the insulation outside. When it gets soaked, your foot is in a waterproof baggie floating in ice water. Besides being cold from that, when the insulation is soaked, moisture from your foot can't escape so you get a double whammy. I prefer an uninsulated Gore-tex with room for extra warm socks.

RC, are you saying the Rimrocks are insulated? They are not.
No. I was just commenting on Gore-tex in general.
My favorite hunting boots are 7", non-insulated Danner Frontiers. I'm not sure they make it any more, though. They've held up for 10+ years. My mistake was to leave out the insoles to allow room for an extra pair of warm socks. The seams for the Gore-tex bootie are protected by the insoles. I wore out the seams and they leak slightly now. Otherwise, they've been fireproof.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had a couple different sets of Asolos. They've lasted really well for me.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Stush

I received a pair of Lowas Tibets for Christmas. I have 30 miles on them with a 40 pound pack. I'm impressed so far. I bought at shoebuy for a $100 discount.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been really happy with the LaSportiva boots I picked up last summer. So far they have been holding up very well, and I tend to be hard on boots.
Very comfortable and light weight.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by czsharpshooter
I have been really happy with the LaSportiva boots I picked up last summer. So far they have been holding up very well, and I tend to be hard on boots.
Very comfortable and light weight.

Which model?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Another vote for the Lowa Tibet. I threw out the insoles and replace with Superfeet as in all my boots. Your best bet is to find a place that has several good boots you can try on. Or at least find an online retailer with a free return shipping policy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stush

Also, I see Asolos are getting mentioned. I have been getting the impression that Asolo boots may be a bit overhyped? At least that is what I am gathering reading online reviews. As I mentioned before though, the online reviews are impossible to really interpret well. You can't tell what is genuine and what is BS sometimes.

I actually wear my Tibets now that they are broken in for lighter weight hiking also as the Renegades are almost my daily wear so any muddy area I run into I'm covered by my Tibets and bust out the Renegades when I get home. If I'm out and don't have the Tibets the Renegades still hold up very well.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
IC B3

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok. Y'all convinced me. I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTXs.

FYI anyone that wants a real deal on these online, click here today:

Lowa Tibet GTX at Amazon.com

In size 11M, they are now only $302. IF you buy them (or any boot over $100) today, you can use the code "SHOEPRES" at checkout and get 20% off.

With another discount I had, I just picked these up for $198 delivered with one day shipping. Score.

Last edited by Stush; 02/20/14.

Stush
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good call and good deal! Throw some Obenauf's on those suckers when you get them and you're good to go for everything.

Tanner

Stush Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Lowa Tibets just arrived earlier today.

I've had them on for the last hour in a highly stressful 'desk' test. I have to say that they are probably the best built boot, on first glance, that I have ever owned. Very comfortable. I am going to start a more robust test on the elliptical this afternoon. I figure I will do a an hour or so on it each day to break them in over the next few weeks.

Thanks again for all of the feedback!

Stush
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Salomon Quests, my new favorite boots. Light, durable, comfortable, and stiff in the right places. Spent a week in a rough WY unit in them with nary a blister.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just got a pair of Schnees Beartooths 8 inch uninsulated today. Being the boot junky that I am I had to try these out. Tried them on at the Sheep Show and seemed pretty light. They are for sure lighter than my Kenetreks which are also lighter than my Lowa Bighorns (like a Tibet but with 200 grams of Thinsulate and can get hot on a warm day). Gonna try em out for a while and see what I think. They also make a taller 9 inch all leather boot they call the Granite which is a little bit heavier but more substantial. Just sayin' is all.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have 2 pairs of boots that get me through every hunting situation I've encountered over the past few years. Whether hunting elk in the mountains of CO or late season hunts in OK and elsewhere, I wear Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. For all other hunting situations, my uninsulated Asolo Sasslong's perform perfectly.

Last edited by Biggs300; 02/21/14.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (2500HD, 3dtestify, 325wsm1, 280ACKIMP, 007FJ, 1badf350, 15 invisible), 12,466 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,338
Posts18,546,276
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.