Campfire Outfitter
T

GB1

TWR #8598923 02/19/14
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks - I've always thought they were loose in the tube, but I overheard a mall ninja beating up a customer over a buffer that "rattled". Think it was just a play to sell more un-needed parts.

I thought the MN was wrong, but hadn't taken one apart or asked the question, so figured the line of discussion was right for the question.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mall ninjas need slapped up along side the head.....thanks for the post Blue!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bea175
If you want to get rid of the ping when you shoot , just change out the Buffer Spring to a Chrome Silicon Spring from Tubbs , works better than going to a heavier buffer in my experience

The ping annoys some folks, but for folks that shoot a LOT, and understand the mental part of the game, IF you can hear the ping, you are not performing the shot process correctly. I used to laugh when I heard that and then realized... wow they were right... if i oculd hear it ping, I wasn't mentally doing what I needed to.

The other cure is simply wipe the spring with grease a bit...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Blue, which buffer would you recommend to help slow down the recoil impulse for a 16 inch barreled Stag? The Stag comes with the carbine weight buffer. I was thinking an H2, but would the spring also need to be replaced with the buffer or will it work with the heavier H2 buffer as is?

Also looking for a muzzle break/comp. Looking hard at the Titan any input on this as well?

Thanks.

I'd skip straight to the H2. The spring will be fine.

If you're serious about a brake, the Titan is a serious one. If you're gonna go with a brake like that, just be prepared for it. If you shoot around other people, they'll hate the brake after the first shot. After the second shot, they'll hate you. If EVER shoot it without earpro, or have anyone around you who doesn't have earpro on, it's gonna be painful. Not "Oh my ears are ringing", but actually painful. I was standing about 8' behind a shooter with a brake last weekend and didn't get my ears on in time before he started shooting and it still hurt being that far off. But if you want to flatten that muzzle out, a Titan will definitely help get you there.

A while back I posted a review here of some Colt Competition rifles. I was able to shoot 14.5" carbine gas, 16" carbine gas and 18" rifle gas guns back to back that all had the same brake on them. A good brake did wonders for the muzzle rise on the 16" gun, but it still wasn't comparable to the same brake on the 18" rifle gas (which was noticeably smoother). I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but think of it as adding racing tires and a chip to a Honda Civic....it'll go faster, but what you really need is a racecar to begin with. On the other hand, if you've got a Honda in the garage and aren't gonna buy a racecar....by all means you should fix it up the way you want it. Does that make sense at all?

If you want to try a brake but aren't sure if you'll like it there are a couple of options...
1-Try a hybrid brake/flash suppressor like the Battlecomp. They're still louder than a typical flash hider, but they're no where near being in the same class as a true competition comp. You're muzzle won't be flat, but it'll be noticeable flatter than with the flash hider. The sights seem to just bounce around the target instead of jumping off of the target.
2-Try the Miculek comp for $40. It's the cheapest I've seen for a true comp. A friend had one and I shot his a bit and it really does work. Does it work as good as a Titan?....I don't know. But for $40 it'd be a cheaper way to find out if you want to go that route or not.

What are you wanting to do with the gun? What made you want a brake?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw this and thought it maybe of some interest

[Linked Image][/URL]

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
If you want to get rid of the ping when you shoot , just change out the Buffer Spring to a Chrome Silicon Spring from Tubbs , works better than going to a heavier buffer in my experience

The ping annoys some folks, but for folks that shoot a LOT, and understand the mental part of the game, IF you can hear the ping, you are not performing the shot process correctly. I used to laugh when I heard that and then realized... wow they were right... if i oculd hear it ping, I wasn't mentally doing what I needed to.

i can only hear it when shooting groups on paper

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your my boy BLEU! Thanks. I will look into a heavier buffer and forgo the Comp for this build. I think a Battlecomp may be a better option.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495

i can only hear it when shooting groups on paper

I'm guessing, and it really doesn't matter, as I'm sure you shoot well enough to keep you happy. And I"m not meaning that as any kind of insult at all, as I don't often shoot well enough to make me happy, but I often shoot well enough to manage what I'm after if that makes sense... my brain is a tad different...

Anyway I bet on yotes, game etc.... you are pre-occupied with the game, and don't hear the ping... which also disguises any things you do wrong in the shot process. The correct way, and I probably don't shoot game more than 60% of the time the "correct" way is to be looking at the sights, waiting for it to be right and the gun goes bang without you really realizing it was going to happen then. You know it would, but you are on auto pilot of the brain seeing and reacting on its own...

But like I said, from what you say and pics you have posted, I'd say you are doing it all just fine enough as is.

As I said, I've never been happy, even when winning a tournament, there were still things I left on the table, and things that need improving.

Sometimes I muchly dislike my mother for instilling that drive in me.Sometimes though in other things I totally ignore the drive...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i have shot very well all my life , the one thing i have always been good at , especially in the field, shotguns, rifles and pistols shooting is just a way of life to me. The one thing that is hard to improve on as you get older is your eye sight, the most limiting factor in shooting for us old farts. I thank the Lord i can still see almost as well as i did 30 years ago . My night vision isn't as good as it used to be tho.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are one way up on me if you can shoot shotguns well.

I SUCK with them. Rarely breaking more than 50% on hit/miss.

Though this fall I did take a 6 duck limit with 9 shots, and 2 of those were to try to help a friend finish a high cripple and both missed... I was impressed with my LUCK that day.

I"m dealing with sight already, almost at 50. Of course I couldn't see to start with very well at age 16 or so... Shot a 16 inch wide nice 8 point one morning, we could shoot does... I never saw the antlers... until I walked up on it... Heck I remember getting about 30 yards out and thinking, something is funny about that deer...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have always been better than most with a shotgun . The first time i ever shot on a skeet range was at Ft Campbell, KY in 1971. Remington 20 ga 870 pump Wingmaster , broke 24 out of 25 including the doubles . I grew up from the time i was 8 or 9 years old with a shotgun or rifle in my hand . Never liked nothing better than guns , hunting , shooting and i still feel that way . If i didn't have my guns i would rather be dead and buried .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I agree on the last sentence!

I didn't grow up with a lot. Dad was a wingshot only. But we didn't have anything to shoot at except once a year we took a 3 hour drive to shoot doves at our cousins...

No shooting, means not getting good.

The flip side of my duck shoot mentioned earlier.... a teal hunt. 25 shells later I had no ducks. My buddy said here take some of mine. Nope, cna't hit one in one box, I'm OFF for the day. Grins.

22s and deer rifles came naturally... as did our highpower rifle, IDPA, IPSC, Silhouette, bullseye pistol and such... took to them natural.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Great post Blue', thanks for taking the time to put this info together.

What are your thoughts on this combo,

16" bbl, carbine gas, A2 stock/buffer?

Shane

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shane-I've only used a rifle buffer setup on 16" and 14.5" mids and an 18" rifle. But I would make an educated guess that it'd work great. I imagine that the rifle spring would work really well with the longer dwell time of a 16" carbine gas setup.

The rifle length spring-buffer rig seems to be very forgiving in what it'll run with.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Blue is correct, the heavier buffer and longer spring of an A2 stock are very forgiving. Not much needs to be done nor can be done.

All the problems associated with the carbine gas are less of a problem with a fixed stock. But I do hear the "sproing" noise on a fixed stock. Unlike a Rost who zones out while shooting, I lack any Zen shooting tendencies and sort of feel the whole firing process, including when my bolt locks back on an empty chamber.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
When I constructed my AR (before I knew any better) I put a carbine upper on an A2 lower. It ran GREAT.

I shoot primarily handloads, in it, and I tend to run them hot, so maybe I just lucked into a combination that was right for my style.

The only issue I ever ran into was with Russian lacquered ammo. It would not cycle the stuff, so I took it to a gun show and got rid of it.

Recently I switched to a carbine stock and buffer, and I'm now thinking I could use a heavier buffer.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/21/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
TWR #8606057 02/21/14
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you wanna go full looney, there's always the VLTOR A5.... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=1749

I've never noticed a "sproing" with it, but I don't know that I would.

TWR #8606063 02/21/14
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the feedback.

I've used the setup before and it felt about the same as a 20"/rifle gas setup. I was curiuos what those of you with more expertise on the subject thought.

When I went to a collapsable type stock with the carbine buffer system and standard carbine buffer I could definitely feel a bit of a 'thump' that I assumed was the buffer hitting the back of the buffer tube.

For now, I've gone back to both of my ARs in the generic A2 and A3 rifle mode, 20" bbl, A2 stocks, rifle gas.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I suppose the old XM177 style with 11.5" bbl, and carbine gas system must work fairly smooth.

I never saw much sense in the 11.5" bbl with a welded on long flash suppressor to make 16", but I would imagine it's fairly easy on the internals given the shorter dwell time.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 222Sako, 1minute, 70 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.