-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm planning on a western hunt this fall (if I draw) and will be needing to stretch out my normal range of shooting. I have a HD5 3-15x42 with the standard hunting turret. I would like to at least have an elevation turret to dial in longer range shots.

Would I be ahead to have a knob installed or just buy another scope that already is setup with knobs?

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If they are still putting on the ASV+ type turrets, I really like them. Zero stop and locking both. Very nice�

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have this same scope. It comes in two flavors, one with the hunting turrets, one with the locking turrets. I don't think you can have the one with hunting turrets retrofitted, but you can check with Zeiss. I asked them if they could do this to my first choice (2-10, which does not offer the locking turret option to buy) and this was not possible. So my guess is, this will not be possible, but again, check with Zeiss.

The other option you have is to send it to Kenton. They will install an exposed target turret on the scope for you, similar to Leupold's CDS system. I think the service is $125 plus the cost of the actual turret. The whole thing, as I remember, is 225. They told me they were looking into adding the capability of installing the Zeiss lockable turrets this year, but it is very involved, so they don't know if they will do it or not. The market is probably pretty small.

If they don't do this, it's up to you as to what you think you should do. Though I wanted the 2-10, I could not live with unlocked turrets for my uses. Most of the people I talked to said a general hunting rifle that could be used on horses, or africa etc. should not have turrets that could be inadvertantly dialed. Some had actually experienced accidental changes that caused missed shots. However, others said it was no issue. In the end, Mule Deer seemed to suggest it would be best to have locked turrets, as I understood him anyway. So I made that a requirement for myself. But that's me.

So in the end, I went with the 3-15 with the locking turrets. It's pretty nice. The clicks on the windage are very positive. Not so much on the elevation, but still decent. The locking function is great and gives good piece of mind. I wish they would put markings on the parralax adjustment, that's kinda annoying and will require me to work that out and mark it myself. Otherwise, it's a great scope.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
zeiss has done target turrets in the past on the zeiss conquest
line, have had this done on 4.5x14x44.
call 800-441-3005

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Anie,

Getting target turrets is no problem. Kenton does those, Zeiss actually gave away a free turret from them on those scopes that will accept them directly, but Kenton can put them on any Zeiss scope. The problem is getting the lockable ASV style turrets retrofitted. When I asked Zeiss to do this in December, to a 2-10, they said they would not do this.

Did they do it for you? I will be really mad if they did, I had to give up my preferred scope for a compromise because they told me in December that the ASV style locking turrets were not available for retrofit. They were only available on the specific 3-15 and 6-18 scopes in their line. (on second thought, if they did, don't tell me. It will be too frustrating !)

But if you don't feel you need the locking function, it's no problem.

Last edited by catorres1; 02/12/14.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Catorre1, Thanks for the info. Sounds like my needs sorta line up with your thinking a couple months back. I don't like the idea of an unlocked turret. I would like them to lock or to be covered.

I guess I'm leaning toward just purchasing the 3-15 with the lockable target turrets.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sell what you have and buy what you want. Modifying could lead to warranty issues if you ever needed.

JW

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.