Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have not the experience with VG that some of you seem to, so I'm just shooting off my cuff here. But he seems like a good natured fella that just enjoys shooting, collecting guns, looking for stuff, and talking about it.
So he does it by driving, then complains about the cost of fuel, so what? I drive when I don't have to and I complain about fuel costs too. Sometimes I drive to town just because I want to drive. Who cares?
One things for sure, he ain't Bricktop. And I can relate to his desire to be-bop all over the country. As I get older I find myself changing in ways I hadn't imagined. Like JB, I enjoy shooting more and collecting multiples less. I walk less and remember more of hunts behind me.
Life's different for VG, so what? I think I could like the guy by his good natured posts, at least the few I'm seeing here. Maybe I missed the nasty ones elsewhere???

LOL
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, you missed a few of his "other" posts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

VG is one of those internet experts who are frequently in error, but never in doubt.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FIENID.

That's a new word.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My late father-in-law once pointed out that my mother-in-law was often ignorant, but never wrong (OINW). As I recall that was after she gave him some advice on brick-laying, which she'd never done.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I have bought several Varmint Rifles in the last 4 months and as per my normal procedure of the last 45+ years I went about buying around 100 pieces of NEW brass for each of them to start things out.
I have done so successfully exactly NO times with any of these Rifles - to date!
The calibers I have tried to find brass for are 243 Winchester, 22-250 Remington, 223 Remington, 7mm/08 and 25/06 Remington!
I have been dancing around robbing from my other Rifles dedicated brass "allotments" in these calibers and by scrounging USED brass on the second hand market so I can get load development and sight-in started!
I have even had to resort to a little "swapping" of brass with friends who have stores of unused new brass I need. But I am nowhere near the traditional 100 pieces of brass minimum for any of these latest Rifles I have bought.
On top of these purchased Rifles I have passed on buying a 17 Hornet because not only is brass unavailable but I have not been able to find loaded ammo in this caliber either.
I would be willing to suffer the indignity of buying factory 17 Hornet ammo and using that up then having brass on hand but again I can't even find loaded ammo for that caliber. And the Ruger 77/17 Hornet I've been wanting is still standing on the stores rack.
In addition to my woes I get at least two phone calls a week from out of state friends wanting me to sell them some of the brass I have in reserve or to see if the stores hereabouts have any 17 Fireball, 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 22-250, 220 Swift, 243 brass etc etc etc for sale.
First it was primers, then powder, then projectiles and NOW it seems brass is in very short supply OR non-existent!
I mean what in the heck is going on?
Are folks in other parts of the country having trouble finding factory new brass on their LGS shelves?
Even at gunshows, brass, when it can be found, is sky high priced!
My close friend here in town "made the mistake" (according to him!) of buying a Remington 722 in 257 Roberts last fall - he has been searching ever since for new brass, then for loaded ammo now he has settled for trying to find used brass and he finally "won" and online auction for once fired used brass in 257 at $25.00 for 20 pieces - PLUS he has to pay the shipping on this "prize"!
Is there a shortage of Varmint type brass in other regions or are we here in the west just sucking hind tit?
One of my local friends is VERY concerned and angry about the current situation (lack of brass and projectiles in Varmint calibers) and has threatened to take up GOLF in the spring and summer instead of Varminting!
Maybe there is some kind of factory induced shortage - I can't figure out a reasonable reason why that would be other than to drive up prices/profits somehow???
It always something it seems anymore in the world of shooting.
Hoping for better times.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I should add, in full disclosure, that I have come across SOME of the very expensive Nosler brass in a couple of the calibers I am in need for - but again its so expensive I want to exhaust all options before having to use it.

You really do need to take a trip north across the 49th parallel. G

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Acknowledged. I'll give the guy a fair shake until I am more familiar. You could easily be right, but I'll let him show me himself.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
FIENID.

That's a new word.

Sums him up perfectly..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might add POWCH: Pissed-off when challenged.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Whatever you do, don't buy the Lapooey 221 FartBall brass.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Acknowledged. I'll give the guy a fair shake until I am more familiar. You could easily be right, but I'll let him show me himself.

He never disappoints...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
VarmintGuy,

It's always a conspiracy with you, isn't it? And always an illogical conspiracy.

Do you REALLY think the ammo companies can make more profit selling loaded ammo rather than empty brass? The cheapest factory is about twice the price of the cheapest brass--and to make loaded ammo they not only have to add powder, a bullet and a primer, but spend the TIME to add them.

Do the math. Just because loaded ammo costs more than empty brass doesn't mean the factories make more profit on each round.

The reason the factories are offering more loaded ammo and less brass now is that far more people shoot factory ammo than handload. And as I pointed out earlier in this thread, handloaders who want brass can still buy factory ammo. The brass is right there, ready to be shot and used.

Johnny boy you been drinking too much of the Kool aid if you don't think adding a primer, powder and a bullet isn't much more profitable than selling empty brass to reloaders. G

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by hemiallen
This is pretty cool. Pose a question to silly posts and get the old fart all worked up. Don't take it so hard, VG, you are only a year or more late to the party, glad you caught up and can joint the real world!

Here is the intelligent point to this post, VG:

Hey VG, Did you know Hornady suspended manufacturing of low-purchase bullets and prioritized manufacturing the big selling items, or did you forget that thread also? If memory serves, you also had conspiracy theory posts about the shortages, or have you forgotten your ramblings many months ago?

And, kind sir, you should proof read your above post before hitting send. You started out tossing the "whining" word, and again ended with using it, twice. I suspect from reading that, you might have the first signs of Alzheimers, and maybe that explains how you missed the brass shortage over a year ago! Keep searching, they say even a blind squirrel can find a nut, in your case, find brass as you already are a nut!

I think you need more fiber and hugs, you really are in a foul mood! I seem to have hit a nerve from your replies: Thanks for verifying I have accomplished my goal! But thanks for making all us aware of what we already knew! As a kid, were you always the last to know?

Here is a bet: in 6 months you'll be posting another shortage thread, maybe the next one will be for centerfire bullets!And just to stay a step ahead of you, did you know powder is also in short supply...LOL!

I really shouldn't tease you, you are so easy to get riled up over things you have no control over, but you also seem to be late to the party. Posting your childish name calling proves you have lost it.

Piece out, Varmintguy cool

Piece, as in piece of pie? Piece of cake? or is it Peace?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gory,

Please explain exactly why.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Swifty52
25.06 brass, no problem. LGS has lots on the shelf. Remington green bag. Problem is they are only coming out in 50 count bags now. Says that's the new norm. 38.99 a 50. Laughed my fat azz off cuz I have 3 bags that I bought 8 years ago kicking around the basement that cost me 25 bucks a 100.

243 rem, Win, Nosler got 3-400 of them new that I bought over the years. In fact just sold a green bag to a guy who's daughter had just got a new 243 and wanted to shoot. Gave him a deal, cost him the price on the bag from Cabelas 29.99

22.250 same deal. only I also got a 150 Noslers to go with the other 2 bags of Rem, and 2 bags of Win.

223 400 new Rem, 300 new Win, another 400 between Lapua, Nosler and Norma.

220 Swift 200 Rem. 300 Norma, down to half a bag of new Win.

Don't own a 7-08 so don't care, if I did I would be necking down once fired 308.

And my wife always wondered why if I didn't buy anything else at the gun shop, I always left with a bag or two of brass or a box or 2 of bullets.

In canada in centerfire 243 and up has only ever come in 50 brass to a bag

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Hey, Mule Deer this is good information, and nice to hear folks are buying guns at such a record rate.. Makes me glad to hear America is arming its self.. It is kind of a bummer about ammo and brass, but I am sure things will get better for us.. The more folks armed, the better America looks to me.. Thanks for the update.. Hopefully the REVOLUTION is on the way... ha, ha..

Revolution must be on its way when the post office needs 2 billion rounds of ammo, when Fisheries and Oceanics needs 140,000 of handgun ammo, Dept of Education is buying guns and ammo. The IRS beefing up its security forces with armed employees, the Federal Reserve hiring more officers. Every single Federal department is buying ammo, wa for, the revolution of course. The coffee is on boys time to take a look around. G

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gory,

You apparently missed my question about exactly why it's more profitable for companies to sell ammo, rather than brass.

Aside from the considerable "machine time" to add primers, powder and bullets, there's the time and money spent packaging ammo into those nifty boxes, rather than just pouring brass into bags.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gory
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Hey, Mule Deer this is good information, and nice to hear folks are buying guns at such a record rate.. Makes me glad to hear America is arming its self.. It is kind of a bummer about ammo and brass, but I am sure things will get better for us.. The more folks armed, the better America looks to me.. Thanks for the update.. Hopefully the REVOLUTION is on the way... ha, ha..

Revolution must be on its way when the post office needs 2 billion rounds of ammo, when Fisheries and Oceanics needs 140,000 of handgun ammo, Dept of Education is buying guns and ammo. The IRS beefing up its security forces with armed employees, the Federal Reserve hiring more officers. Every single Federal department is buying ammo, wa for, the revolution of course. The coffee is on boys time to take a look around. G

Nope. The Gov is hoarding ammo so we won't have ammo to defend ourselves when they round us up for the FEMA Death Camps, which are actually a front for the Scientologists so they can send us back to free Xenu from his imprisonment. I thought everybody knew that?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and Obama is an avid prairie dog shooter who wants all the .22 Long Rifle hollow-points for himself.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL

Glad you caught that

Piece, as in a piece of brass...LOL

Allen

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,236
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.