-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed don't let these guys talk ya into a 44 for your first gun,go straight wall 45 and don't look back.Shootin a 540 out of a 110 will buckle the knees of a T-Rex besides you hafta take out a loan to buy those old bottle neck 44 cases anyhoo.. whistle grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThe 44/90 is on the left, the 45/110 in the middle, a puny 30/06 on the right
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tmitch
Doesn't take much to turn a 70 into a 90. Or a 110 for that matter.

Wrong

If you have a decent .45-70 chamber,....LEAVE IT ALONE.

Way to many decent chambers have been kluged, molested, farged over and ruined with "Longer" reamers,.......Ed's BEEN at my shop, and seen the cutaway / amputated examples of this sorta' horsechit.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Wrong

Way to many decent chambers have been kluged, molested, farged over and ruined with "Longer" reamers,.......Ed's BEEN at my shop, and seen the cutaway / amputated examples of this sorta' horsechit.

GTC

I get asked often can I use your throating reamer, and I tell them dont fix what aint broke. using reamers that was not ground for your pacific chamber can turn into garbage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen a lot more damaged chambers than "Extended" ones that shot as well after.

* dual diameter necks

* dual diameter necks with parallel offset

* dual diameter necks with angular offset

* dual diameter necks with a combination of the 2 offsets above

* Long Chambers with undersized bases

* Weird damages to the chamber mouth / neck area, and
proclivities for lead ringing

* case separations, and hard extraction

There's a way to get a great, concentric and co-axed cast bullet chamber, that being to cut it right the FIRST time.

Going in and screwing with it afterward is fraught with peril,
.........bear in mind we're talking CAST BULLET chambers here, and cartridges without shoulders,.....

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/26/14.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Wrong

GTC

laugh You might try splainin that one to the handi rifle boys. Right now there's one on the Highroad, that reamed a 45 colt to 454 and is blaming black powder and paper patched bullets on his lenghtwise sick split cases.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many letters, don't forget that 44 comes with 80 cases... Try finding 80 cases for them johnny come lately 45s....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just waded through that thread, Don.

That NY dude,...

WAFI.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's a handirifle thing.

www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Don, you and Kurt are killin' me.

I'm just a simple man with simple tastes. A bit backwards, I guess. Give me a .45-70 and I'm a happy camper.
Perhaps, once the Shiloh Sharps initial glow has worn off, I'll want to try something a bit more "exotic". Until then, .45-70 or .45-90 will make me happy.

Ed

Well it that rifle didn't treat ya right I've got a 30" heavy 45 Shiloh barrel I'ld swap ya, and would send 100 Winchester 45-70 cases to boot.

www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Don,

I been going back several times looking at that .44-2.5 bn Shiloh. That buy it now price unfired is not a bad price. Looks like he is just getting his investment back.
That would make one fine flat shooting speed goat rifle.

Kurt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think he'ld be lucky to break even..
Heck of a buy if a fella was needing a rifle.

www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The Brass alone is $200. The .44-75 might have to be set back a year smile Just wish he lived a little closer.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Colleagues: just read, then re-read, the thread Don linked to over on the "High Road". What a bunch of false and misleading information, esp. 'bout BN cartridges and BP.

That NY poster would have had a fit if he saw me when I was shooting BP in my father's old Savage 340 and a Fellow Shooter who loaded BP for his pristine take-down M94 rifle!

I've often heard it said that ignorance has no limits....

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kurt71
The Brass alone is $200. The .44-75 might have to be set back a year smile Just wish he lived a little closer.

Kurt just tell him you'll pick it up next week on your way to Phoenix.

www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Wont happen Don.
I worked on chopping Ice with a hatchet and spade for almost 6 hours and had a 150K BTU heater blowing air.
The warm up we had last week melted the snow off the roof of the camper and the rains melted the snow down to the ground about a foot around the camper and formed a revetment holding the water and the ground thawed enough to let the tires sink in and refrozen mud flaps are anchored down also. Temp is dropping back down to around -15 again tonight 5 degrees now.
For the next ten days it won't get any higher than the mid teens and mostly below zero during the night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might have to take Carol's car and the tent?

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ray Newman
Colleagues: just read, then re-read, the thread Don linked to over on the "High Road". What a bunch of false and misleading information, esp. 'bout BN cartridges and BP.

That NY poster would have had a fit if he saw me when I was shooting BP in my father's old Savage 340 and a Fellow Shooter who loaded BP for his pristine take-down M94 rifle!

I've often heard it said that ignorance has no limits....

We need to get him and "Swampman" in league, maybe they could write the "Book of BP Lies".

Azzzzzzwholes,......

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great news ED...........'bout time. shocked grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.