Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's A Shiloh Sporter #1, caliber 45/90 with semi-fancy walnut and checkered steel shotgun buttplate. Unfired and ready for a new home. Has a 30" standard weight full octagon barrel.
Weight is 10 lbs 3.5oz. If you plan to do any hunting at all you will be glad for the standard weight barrel VS the #1 heavy which would bring the weight to just shy of 12 lbs. Serial #B774X. PM if interested.
Chris
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
PM inbound...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
tic toc tic toc tic toc laugh laugh laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by tmitch
Doesn't take much to turn a 70 into a 90. Or a 110 for that matter.

Wrong

If you have a decent .45-70 chamber,....LEAVE IT ALONE.

Way to many decent chambers have been kluged, molested, farged over and ruined with "Longer" reamers,.......Ed's BEEN at my shop, and seen the cutaway / amputated examples of this sorta' horsechit.

GTC

Will have to agree with you, you have much more first hand experience than I. I also have to plead guilty to "arm chair gunsmithing".....I've read some of the BPCR "experts" accounts of running out the chambers with good results. Will also agree, don't fix what aint broke.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Originally Posted by Sharps1874
Here's A Shiloh Sporter #1, caliber 45/90 with semi-fancy walnut and checkered steel shotgun buttplate. Unfired and ready for a new home. Has a 30" standard weight full octagon barrel.
Weight is 10 lbs 3.5oz. If you plan to do any hunting at all you will be glad for the standard weight barrel VS the #1 heavy which would bring the weight to just shy of 12 lbs. Serial #B774X. PM if interested.
Chris
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If I did not have a #1 sporter on order I would be More than willing to take that off your hands. Mine will start production about September. I have a #1 sporter that started out a 45/70 but I had Kirk make it a 45/90 before they shipped it. I think that Kirk knows what he is doing when he works on a Shiloh. It shoot great so far. My second Shiloh will be a real looker. And is chambered in 40/65 Win. Black powder all the way.

Steve

NRA Life Member Sharps 45/ 2-4/10
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharps1874
Chris
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

very nice smile My #1 is gonna look a lot like that, 'cept with half octagon barrel, extra fancy wood, and slightly shortened length of pull. Also a .45-90.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Bastid.... laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Gunner

Bastid.... laugh

Ed

grinDo ya know hut I like best about being so Evil? grin 'cuz my LAST victims actively participate or even initiate in hunting down the NEXT victim!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We need to get him and "Swampman" in league, maybe they could write the "Book of BP Lies".

Forgot about the swampman . . . Gee, thanks a lot grin.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Gunner

Bastid.... laugh

Ed

grinDo ya know hut I like best about being so Evil? grin 'cuz my LAST victims actively participate or even initiate in hunting down the NEXT victim!!! grin

Since his membership in this elite club seems eminent hopefully to many letters will never commit blasphemy by launching bricks with smokeless shocked This would certainly constitute a full review with probation should such evidence be acquired and any violation would be grounds for immediate dismissal. grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've spotted for Ed, with him on an accurate '74.

He's a natural.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Greg, I wouldn't go that far! It was YOUR rifle, shooting YOUR match loads, with YOU calling the wind, and YOU spotting.

My part was the loose nut behind the trigger. grin

(It was fun, though! grin )

Woody, how is anyone going to know if shoot white powder in my Sharps? (not that I would...) You gonna sniff the muzzle? shocked

I have the molds, the alloy, the tools, the sizing die(s), the lube, the powder (1.5f KIK), primers, brass, and the will. Now all I need is the rifle. And a couple of other small items such as a powder compression die, drop tube, wads, and time. grin Oh, and patience. LOTS of patience.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eekDon't even JOKE about white powder in a Sharps or you will self induct yerself into the Halls of the Gay!!! The ONLY permissible use of white powder loaded ammo is to shoot up some boxes of factory 45/70 in order to have cases for reloading BLACKpowder!!!!!!!!! If our spies tell us that you have done wrong, the hit squad will abduct you and we will lock you in a small very cold room naked with Nancy Pelosi to keep you warm.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
eekDon't even JOKE about white powder in a Sharps or you will self induct yerself into the Halls of the Gay!!! The ONLY permissible use of white powder loaded ammo is to shoot up some boxes of factory 45/70 in order to have cases for reloading BLACKpowder!!!!!!!!! If our spies tell us that you have done wrong, the hit squad will abduct you and we will lock you in a small very cold room naked with Nancy Pelosi to keep you warm.

I just lost my breakfast... sick That's enough to make a meth addict quit cold turkey!

I still have that Marlin 1895 LTDIII in .45-70 to make brass with. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinWe are harsh but fair grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some listings in Guns America and probably on Gun Broker too. Cost you a $200 premium to go thru Bill Goodman but he allways has order spots on the near horizon (before prod date starts that the specs can be changed on). Good luck. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, we had those windage knobs SMOKIN' that day, IIRC.

Always fun calling those 8-10 minute corrections, and garnering solid hits.

Man, I've GOT to get back on finishing that .45 100, somewhen. frown

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I mentioned above a few of the remaining tools I need and would like you guy's opinions on where to go to get them.

What is your preferred powder compression die?

Drop tube - What do you guys use?

Wads? Any preferences there?

The lube I have is some old NRA recipe, 50-50 Beeswax/alox. Is there something else y'all prefer?

I DO appreciate all input here, folks!
Even the obnoxious, sickening, foul, nightmare-inducing threats of E.T. eek

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A

Man, I've GOT to get back on finishing that .45 100, somewhen. frown

GTC

Yes sir, you do. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get compression plugs that go tight into the bell mouth die body. Drop tube can be a 30"brass or copper tube with a funnel on one ended and belled on the other to go over the mouf of da case. Wads?? I cut mine from milk cartons most times, cardboard tablet backing more rarely. If all yer going to shoot is GG slugs, the old formula seems ok. Asking a question like that could bring you answers that border on alchemy depending on the fella who tells you his own. grin As for the threats..We are here to help!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.