Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

As you have read, I'm starting out with the lowly .45, 2 1/10" aka "The AK variant" of the BPCR world. grin

Ed

based on three .45-70's, and one AK, I have concluded that all .45-70's will out-shoot all AK's smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Even in a Handi Rifle? shocked

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what is a Handi Rifle?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is your preferred powder compression die?
A friend made one for me - just threads into an extra die body.

Drop tube - What do you guys use?
Made one from 3/8" dia copper tube and a brass candle holder - 24" length.

Wads? Any preferences there?
I use cardboard (similar to tablet backing) I grabbed where I used to work that was protection for 30x40 diazo print paper (0.35" and 0.65" thick) and punch them myself.

The lube I have is some old NRA recipe, 50-50 Beeswax/alox. Is there something else y'all prefer?
I make my own from 50/50 beeswax and mineral oil. Vary a bit depending on temperature.

Might still want to get a "portable" setup to de-cap in the field and drop the cases in a jug with water in it.

Your coming Hartford sounds just like mine except for the fancier wood. Keep asking questions . . . somebody will answer them.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
Glad yer getting a 45-70 Ed, I feel no shame pushing the Jerry Dean 505 gr flat nosed greasers to 1250 fps with 3F KIK in mine. wink

Gunner

I think I need to get some 3f KIK. I have a couple of pounds of Goex 3f and 10 pounds of 1.5f KIK.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, the KIK 3F and 45-70 go together like PB&J in my [so far] very limited BPCR experience.

Gunner

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is time yet.

Be sure of your barrel choice. I bought a .40-65 No I Sporter, 30", heavy half for hunting. Caliber fine. Barrel wrong. Almost thirteen pounds is too much.
When I do it again, I'm going light. Likely a Business rifle, or a Goodman Special military carbine with a 26-28" barrel, and BTW, in 45-70. It, like a .30-06, is never a mistake.

In the meantime, I got a Ruger No. 1 S-C ( .375 weight heavier 26" barrel). I think it may just work, even with black. Ruger only made a few of those.

Best wishes and enjoy,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, Jack.

I'm quite sure about the specs of the rifle I want. I know it will be heavy, particularly in comparison to modern rifles, and am willing and able to deal with it.

When I get too weak to lift it, I'll curse EvilTwin and hire Gunner500 to carry it for me. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When ya start shooting the big 45's and the big 44,ya appreciate the weight! Gittin ya prepped fer a BIG rifle Pard! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sometimes I feel bad for people who never get to experience as many things as they would like too, but I don't worry to much about it or lose any sleep over it. But, cause I'm a good guy(sometimes) if any of you guys ever get close to Rapid City, SD give me a shout cause I'll sure let you shoot my 10 lb 50-140 LRE. It truly is enlightening. I figure it will give you a new perspective on what recoil really is and you won't even need to shoot a whole box a shells to understand that. Magnum Man

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
It only took me 3 shots to figure that out in my C. Sharps .50 2.5" Hunters Carbine. Nice rifle to carry, hell off the bench without a cheater pad.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So, you've got your sights on Joel, too? Does his lovely bride know?

She can kick your ass, you know. grin

I looked at the anticipated delivery date again (I know, I CAN'T wait! grin ) and realized that it is supposed to be finished mid MAY, not mid June. laugh

I guess I need to plan another trip up to Powder Inc. grin

Ed

Congratulations, Ed. I am tickled for you! I'm thinking that a plain jane 45-70 will be the route I go, when I finally give in. Heck, nobody pisses at the fella shooting a 30-06, surely it is sound logic to shoot the proven 45-70. wink

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, Joel. I plan on making a pest of myself at sharpsguy's house when I get the rifle, but don't tell him. grin

I have been on just about every BPCR and bullet casting forum on the internet since I sent my deposit in. blush
The upside to that is, there is a ton of info on the .45-70 to start with.

When are you going to order yours? grin

Ed

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It took a few years for me to 'get a handle' on my 'Parlor Guns' and I know what these will do! I ain't about to venture off into the desert for 40 years again with the .44s!!

[Linked Image]
Parlorguns by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks, Joel. I plan on making a pest of myself at sharpsguy's house when I get the rifle, but don't tell him. grin

I have been on just about every BPCR and bullet casting forum on the internet since I sent my deposit in. blush
The upside to that is, there is a ton of info on the .45-70 to start with.

When are you going to order yours? grin

Ed

Whenever Tracey hits the right scratch off.... wink

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. The Darkside beckons. grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah, I just sent you a PM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinGot it! Reply rendered grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those who know BPCRs and who might be looking sharply at Rick's Sharps, may note that they are equipped with Hoke tang sights, and either Distant Thunder or Baldwin front globes. Also, that one of his rifles is stocked for a left handed shooter.

I commented on such sights recently in a thread about mystery items from a gunshop.

My goal isn't to advocate for any particular brand of equipment, or to knock any others, but to urge new shooters in particular not to rush out and buy something because it is popular and somebody or bodies pipe up that it is "the BEST", or "all the top shooters use them".

Rick is an experienced and discerning rifleman. I'm sure he considered and probably tried various options before deciding on what best served his needs.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a number of quality sights available. The thing that makes the MVA's most attractive to new Shiloh rifles is , if you buy the MVA when ordering the rifle, there's no charge for mounting those sights. If you send along or have another sight drop shipped , there's a small charge to install those sights.

At last years bptr nationals, Baldwin and MVA were the top two sight brands. Actually tied for the number reported in the equipment list.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.