Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by mystro
What buckshot is supose to clear a hall way???

Exactly.

What is the "Bubba" crowd??

The uniformed, typically overweight, Team Realtree clad, Outdoor Channel watching buyer with more money than sense who purchases the Taurus Judge, Butt-Out tool, and camo wallet. Bubba often can be seen in his natural environment, at the Wal-Mart gun counter spouting off complete BS to anyone who will listen. Alternatively he comes on internet forums to preach more of the same.

Regional variations abound, including Self-Defense Bubba, Tacticool Bubba, and Backpacking Bubba.

Can't forget archery only bubba, ATV bubba, or beer drinking bubba.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I once had a Thunder 5, similar concept.

It went down the road.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been around a Taurus Judge enough to know it's a silly concept. A regular revolver will take shot capsules for snakes, so there's really no advantage to the shotgun/revolver.

Another issue which I have yet to see addressed regarding shotgun revolvers is the lack of adjustable sights. If you decided to use one for hunting you are pretty much SOL if your loads don't shoot to POA. A full framed handgun that sucks for hunting, yet has a sight system normally found on concealed carry revolvers...which it's not worth a crap for either because it's huge.

I'm not real sure what the shotgun/revolver is good for, other than separating Bubba from his money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned two Judges and a Governor. The Governor is the correct execution of the concept the Judge popularized. I've shot them extensively as some of the posters on this thread know.

The bottom-line on the Judge is that the ones I've owned are unreliable when fired double action. In fact, Hickok was mentioned and I think I've probably shot them more extensively than he has. IIRC he did little, if any shooting double action. I own single actions and obviously they will not shoot without being cocked. If I own a double action though, I expect it to shoot properly both single and double action. To me, there is no reason to argue further about patterning, 45 Colt accuracy, etc. I want a double action to shoot double action.

The Governor is a more versatile gun in some respects, than the Judge. If you want a gun with 45 auto capability the Governor is for you. I don't really care about that and I'd really rather have the 3" chambers of the Judge than the Governor's 2 1/2" chambers and the 45 auto capability. But that's how it is. The Governor is fairly light and is easier packing to me, than my 44 Mag. Mountain Gun. I have a DeSantis for the Judge I no longer own and it is a sweet holster, but it wasn't made when I got the Governor. I bought like the third Governor I ever saw. I've got a custom-made holster for mine.

The Governor's accuracy with 45 Colt's is adequate as is the patterning with most self-defense loads as long as the range is close up. The Governor is surprisingly light too. The recoil is not bad as long as the 45 Colt loads are cowboy or standard. I would not shoot hot loads in this gun as they are not recommended. The Governor also shades the Taurus on capacity, carrying six shots rather than five, as was noted.

I like the Governor and don't trust the Judge. As an aside, I don't trust the Tracker either. They are a cute gun and one I wanted until I've heard the exact same stories from owners that I experienced with the Judge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been shooting rats when I bushhog with .357 shot capsules loaded with #8 shot. It often takes 2 shots for each rat if they are big ones...and often there will be more than one rat. I've used a short double 12 gauge and a single shot 20 gauge before but it takes to long to get them in action from a tractor and they are a bit of overkill. You can call me Bubba cause I'm dying to try a Governor for this... grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd probably take this setup, over a shotvolver

[Linked Image]

smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've been shooting rats when I bushhog with .357 shot capsules loaded with #8 shot. It often takes 2 shots for each rat if they are big ones...and often there will be more than one rat. I've used a short double 12 gauge and a single shot 20 gauge before but it takes to long to get them in action from a tractor and they are a bit of overkill. You can call me Bubba cause I'm dying to try a Governor for this... grin
I had never liked the concept of the Judge before one of my ponds, which is not far from the house and which the kids frequently walk around, became infested with snakes one year. I shot a few with my Smith .44 MG and the shotshells just shredded the bastards. However, when I went to get some more they were very expensive. Seeing an opportunity, I bought a Judge which I'd previously thought was fugly. I admit to falling in love with the gun. For about a year I carried and shot the thing more than any other gun that I have. I further admit that some here loved flaming it and I was constantly shooting and patterning it to prove them wrong, sometimes with success and other times not so much. One day it struck me that if I really was to use it for self defense, I should be shooting it as I would for that, in double action. I don't think many Judge users fire theirs double action because the problems I had were duplicated across two guns. There are many versions of the Judge and maybe others with different versions don't have these problems. I won't say mine were an anomaly however, since several fixes for these problems exist on the Judge site and also I talked to a gun dealer whose son had identical problems and who had the same ones with his Tracker. I tried a couple of the fixes and they improved reliability but not to an acceptable level.

IMO the Judge could do what it is supposed to if Taurus would just be more careful in their manufacturing and qc processes. Then they'd have the Governor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice Randall and fabulous holster. I bought my wife a Walker. She always loved one I had and traded off. So a couple of years back I spied a nice one and got it for her. She's also got a Colt Navy reissue.

[Linked Image]

Folks here are probably tired of this pic but I like posting it. Apologies in advance for the re-re-post.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have killed several farm animals with my Judge that I owned at the time. One hog we put down was shot (10 feet) in the head with the Federal 000 buck and it blew its skull into mush.

You shot a pig in the head from the 4yd line and it died? While I don't make a habit of shooting pigs at 10', I'm going to go out on a limb and say a .40, .45, 9mm, .357, .224, or just about any other caliber bullet would have also resulted in a very dead pig.

How can you possibly argue with 4 36caliber balls in a 2" group at 10 yards???

Because there is no benefit to it. If I'm shooting something at 10yds I want the benefit of an expanding HP or the penetration of a hard cast. A .36 caliber ball going that speed is not an advantage.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ccrifles
I think some of you experts are missing the point. Most self defense and police shootings are inside 7 yard and a large number are within touching distance. Any .410 ammunition you put in the chamber will work well at that range. The trouble with .45 colt or .45 acp ammo is over penetration. Make yourself up a fake studded wall with drywall on both sides and test your preferred ammo on that. Now just imagine, in the dark in the middle of the night in your house. Your kids might be on the other side of the wall from the burglar in your house. In that case bird shot might be the best. I can't imagine a better handgun for such a scenario. The only thing better would have been my trained police K-9, but he's long gone.

Yeah. Let me run out and buy a .410 handgun for all those intruders that warrant deadly force and hide in front of the wall that separates us from my son's room so that I can not penetrate the wall for fear of hitting my son.

This is obviously a niche that needed filling in the handgun world.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I had never liked the concept of the Judge before one of my ponds, which is not far from the house and which the kids frequently walk around, became infested with snakes one year. I shot a few with my Smith .44 MG and the shotshells just shredded the bastards. However, when I went to get some more they were very expensive. Seeing an opportunity, I bought a Judge which I'd previously thought was fugly. I admit to falling in love with the gun. For about a year I carried and shot the thing more than any other gun that I have. I further admit that some here loved flaming it and I was constantly shooting and patterning it to prove them wrong, sometimes with success and other times not so much. One day it struck me that if I really was to use it for self defense, I should be shooting it as I would for that, in double action. I don't think many Judge users fire theirs double action because the problems I had were duplicated across two guns. There are many versions of the Judge and maybe others with different versions don't have these problems. I won't say mine were an anomaly however, since several fixes for these problems exist on the Judge site and also I talked to a gun dealer whose son had identical problems and who had the same ones with his Tracker. I tried a couple of the fixes and they improved reliability but not to an acceptable level.

IMO the Judge could do what it is supposed to if Taurus would just be more careful in their manufacturing and qc processes. Then they'd have the Governor.

I'm not understanding the reasoning in ammo being too expensive for one gun, so buying an entire gun to replace it? The money spent on a Taurus Judge would buy a lifetime worth of snake loads for a 44 mag.

I've seen the double action issues on a couple of other Taurus revolvers; the problem is certainly not limited to the Judge.
Taurus = Crap.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Considering the Governor can shoot 410, 45LC and 45acp, its almost a perfect weapon for a gun owner with multiple calibers and likes to reload. The versatility is unmatched by any other handgun. Consider it just another tool in the toolbox of handguns. Its just more of a multi tool.

I don't see the benefit to it. I don't understand why you wouldn't just want a .250gr. Keith (as an example) hitting that target, as opposed to some .36 cal balls.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I want a Governor or Judge in 12 ga 3.5 inch

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
I have killed several farm animals with my Judge that I owned at the time. One hog we put down was shot (10 feet) in the head with the Federal 000 buck and it blew its skull into mush.

You shot a pig in the head from the 4yd line and it died? While I don't make a habit of shooting pigs at 10', I'm going to go out on a limb and say a .40, .45, 9mm, .357, .224, or just about any other caliber bullet would have also resulted in a very dead pig.

Because there is no benefit to it. If I'm shooting something at 10yds I want the benefit of an expanding HP or the penetration of a hard cast. A .36 caliber ball going that speed is not an advantage.

Travis

The pig shot with the ridiculous handgun tells me a lot.

For one, when butchering hogs, one doesn't want to kill them outright, you're only looking to stun the hog so you can hang them, slit their throats, and bleed them out. When their hearts are still pumping it acts sorta like a sump pump, and does a much better job of bleeding them out than if they are dead...which results in nasty pork.

For another, a 22 LR or even a short will do the job. I've killed several pigs outright with skull shots from a 22 LR at <10ft, so that must mean it's an awesome self defense weapon?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked for a Meat Packing company in the killing room when i was a teen and i killed 90 % of the Sausage Hogs and Beef Cattle with a Remington Single Shot 22 with Shorts , Bang Flop.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yea,yea...You know everything. Bla,bla,bla... I cant tell if you are just confrontational or just stupid.

One 380fmj might not be the most effective tool but when 4 are shot simultaneously in a 2-3" area extrapolates its effectiveness considerably.

You either get it or you dont. You obviously are not in the market for one so give it up and stop wasting bandwidth.
The shotpistol is alot like giving a Bic lighter to a caveman. 8 out of 10 will see its usefulness but there will always be those 2 caveman that will scratch their ass with the lighter as they rub two sticks together.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

The pig shot with the ridiculous handgun tells me a lot.

For one, when butchering hogs, one doesn't want to kill them outright, you're only looking to stun the hog so you can hang them, slit their throats, and bleed them out. When their hearts are still pumping it acts sorta like a sump pump, and does a much better job of bleeding them out than if they are dead...which results in nasty pork.

For another, a 22 LR or even a short will do the job. I've killed several pigs outright with skull shots from a 22 LR at <10ft, so that must mean it's an awesome self defense weapon?

Watch what Hickok45 says about the Shotpistol (and this is with a lower quality Judge).....

Last edited by mystro; 02/26/14.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The irony of Smith & Wesson copying Taurus makes me smile...... grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yea,yea...You know everything. Bla,bla,bla... I cant tell if you are just confrontational or just stupid.

You either get it or you dont. You obviously are not in the market for one so give it up and stop wasting bandwidth.
The shotpistol is alot like giving a Bic lighter to a caveman. 8 out of 10 will see its usefulness but there will always be those 2 caveman that will scratch their ass with the lighter as they rub two sticks together.

That's a very poor analogy because a Bic lighter would make fire more efficiently than two sticks.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the old days, a .36 caliber round ball settled many an argument but also caused quite a few lingering deaths. When well-placed, it worked reasonably well. However, they were also running 1000fps and therein lies a substantial difference between an 1851 Navy and a .410 with a barrel shorter than its cylinder. Especially if that .410 is firing hardened shot. Percussion guns use softer swaged balls and usually expand at least a little bit. That, coupled with their velocity makes them far more effective than any .410 scatterpistol. No amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
These things sell because they play off the ignorance of people who don't really know their guns (I'm not trying to be rude, just stating the facts...there's no shame in being ignorant of how guns really work; we all were beginners at some point).

Sad but very true.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My take on this thread is, you either like the concept of a handgun that fires shot shells or you don't

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.