Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm sticking with the simple bead front sight though.
Agreed...I think many people gunk up their shotguns trying to make it into a rifle. If you need a rifle, pick up a rifle. If you need a shotgun, use a shotgun. With the exception of sabot slugs with rifled barrels/chokes, a bead will get you by perfectly for ANYTHING you want from a shotgun. I like the furniture you have on your gun.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Before you spend a lot of money for a better shot revolver, try loading your own shot cartridges with #12 shot. The problem isn't the shot size, it's the number of shot on target. With 7.5-8 shot, I've always had to shoot a snake 2 or 3 times. With #12 shot, rarely do you have to pull the trigger twice.

The Governor solves the problem by just putting more shot on the target, but you can get that without going to that goofy revolver.

I think Venturino did a test on this years ago and found #12 to simply pulverize prairie rattlers.

I've been looking for #12 in local shops ever since...

Travis
It's like I said several years back, CCI shotshells from my Mountain Gun will shred a snake. I haven't shot a snake yet with the Governor and I'm out of Judges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While few of us agree with mystro on the usefulness of the Judge/Governor; I think he is correct in asserting that his chosen revolver is up to the task. Out to 10 yards, the .410 buckshot appears to be adequate. For anything else, we all know the .45 Colt is more than up to the task.

If I wanted a dedicated snake gun, and I wasn't a reloader; I'd consider a Judge if I could get one cheap enough.

As a primary defensive arm, the Judge/Governor would never be my first choice (or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th....). If it's all I had, I'd get some .45 Colt ammo and feel adequately armed. I cant think of a situation where I'd EVER choose the .410 for self defense over the .45 Colt.

So mystro, you have an adequate defensive arm, and anyone who disputes that is just barking into the wind. HOWEVER, anyone who would assert that the Judge/Governor is somehow superior or even advantageous; again, you're barking into the wind.

It is what it is. They are selling a ton of guns on the PERCEPTION that it is somehow better. It is NOT better, but it is adequate. So the people who got drawn in on the hype at least end up with an adequate handgun for self defense.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I may be too easily influenced by gunwriter celebrities, but if Brian Pearce ever writes an article for Handloader magazine, saying that he now carries a Governor as his preferred everyday carry when working around his ranch, I'll take a greater interest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously, folks - this stuff has all been done. Internet thread challenges to "prove it yourself" are a meaningless deflection attempt. The reason so many are so much against the Judge/Governor as all-around defense gun concept is that it has been so thoroughly disproven. A refusal to disprove it once again proves nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's simple, anything that is sufficient to stop an aggressor, WILL shoot through walls...it absolutely WILL. So you just can't afford to miss if your children are on the other side of those walls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Before you spend a lot of money for a better shot revolver, try loading your own shot cartridges with #12 shot. The problem isn't the shot size, it's the number of shot on target. With 7.5-8 shot, I've always had to shoot a snake 2 or 3 times. With #12 shot, rarely do you have to pull the trigger twice.

The Governor solves the problem by just putting more shot on the target, but you can get that without going to that goofy revolver.

I think Venturino did a test on this years ago and found #12 to simply pulverize prairie rattlers.

Travis
I don't know if I read that one, but he's right. I got onto it when I noticed that .22 shot cartridges killed every bit as good as .45 ACP shot cartridges; and I just couldn't understand that. Neither one was really impressive. So I took each apart and that's when I found the difference in shot size. Then I remembered when I was a kid visiting a logging outfit and damn near everyone carried a High Standard DA .22 mag in their pocket and they all said the .22 mag shot cartridge killed snakes better than any other commercial shot cartridge. Again, #12 shot, but much more of it.

So a friend and I went halves on a set of RCBS .45 ACP dies for making shot cartridges out of .308 brass. And when loaded with #11 or #12 shot, it was the hammer of Thor on snakes; even big diamondbacks. We then used that same set of dies to make .45 Colt shot cartridges out of .303 brass, which allowed us to extend the brass out to the distance of a seated bullet, which means you can hold a LOT of shot. OMG it just blew snakes into pieces...again with #12 shot.

Since the .303 brass thing took a good deal of work, and the case mouths 9 times out of 10 would split upon firing, I decided to see if there was an easier way. So I just loaded up to the end of the case with shot. Charge powder, seat a gas check with the cup facing up down against the powder being careful not to compress the powder. Now take the round, scoop up the shot and shake off the excess, then cap with a gas check with the cup facing down, and then roll crimp the gas check in place. Be subtle on the roll crimp or it will buckle the gas check...have to fiddle a little to get it right, but it's not tough.

That load was 90% as good as the extended cartridges made from the .303 brass, and was easy-peasy to make. So I let him have the dies and I didn't bother with the extended cartridges anymore. When I need some .45 ACP shot rounds, I just call him up and have him send me a dozen.

So what I learned; most any handgun (typically revolver) cartridge can be turned into a very efficient snake killer with the above listed method. Obviously the larger you go, the more dramatic the performance. .45 Colt was very impressive, but .32 H&R was no slouch by any means. Most times one shot is all you need when you use #12 shot.

So you noticed you can't ever find #12 shot; not surprised. The only place I've found to get it is Ballistic Products: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

The last bag I bought was over 15 years ago and it tends to last decades. IIRC they come in 12lb bags, and I'd still be using mine if I didn't lose it when I moved (it's there somewhere).

#12 shot only comes in those 12lb bags, and gas checks only come in 1,000 boxes; so the initial investment is a little stiff, but you have a near lifetime supply.

K, where did you get your homemade shot shell recipes? I am interested in reloading for a few different calibers

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could have sworn that I posted this earlier, but I don't see it where I thought it would be - so here goes.

Box o' Truth on the Judge....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

The thing about using these Box o' Truth reports is that it's the same guys using the same methods with the same materials to compare various guns and loads. I think it's better than plucking various Youtube videos from various sources using various materials and methods, to compare various loads or guns.

As a collection, the B o' T reports don't support the idea of .410 handguns for home defense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh - and someone posted that the Judge and the Governor are answers to a question never asked.....but I disagree.

The question usually has a different answer - but it has been asked (by me, even). And that is - "what is uglier than a Glock?"

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I could have sworn that I posted this earlier, but I don't see it where I thought it would be - so here goes.

Box o' Truth on the Judge....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

The thing about using these Box o' Truth reports is that it's the same guys using the same methods with the same materials to compare various guns and loads. I think it's better than plucking various Youtube videos from various sources using various materials and methods, to compare various loads or guns.

As a collection, the B o' T reports don't support the idea of .410 handguns for home defense.
What is continuously amazing is that there is so much resistance to this in certain circles. IMO, post your reasoning as to why .410 handguns are not good for what you think they're not good for and let folks make their own choices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
What is continuously amazing is that there is so much resistance to this in certain circles. IMO, post your reasoning as to why .410 handguns are not good for what you think they're not good for and let folks make their own choices.

I posted several links with some good information. My reasoning is an accumulation of the info from those and other sources. You can read the same stuff - and if you come to a different conclusion, there is probably nothing I can say to change your mind.

It's funny that those "certain circles" you vaguely mention are full of people who are pretty accomplished and knowledgeable shooters and defense instructors. Forty years ago, I might have agreed that the body of knowledge is limited and suspect - but not now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boococky

Travis
I don't know if I read that one, but he's right. I got onto it when I noticed that .22 shot cartridges killed every bit as good as .45 ACP shot cartridges; and I just couldn't understand that. Neither one was really impressive. So I took each apart and that's when I found the difference in shot size. Then I remembered when I was a kid visiting a logging outfit and damn near everyone carried a High Standard DA .22 mag in their pocket and they all said the .22 mag shot cartridge killed snakes better than any other commercial shot cartridge. Again, #12 shot, but much more of it.

So a friend and I went halves on a set of RCBS .45 ACP dies for making shot cartridges out of .308 brass. And when loaded with #11 or #12 shot, it was the hammer of Thor on snakes; even big diamondbacks. We then used that same set of dies to make .45 Colt shot cartridges out of .303 brass, which allowed us to extend the brass out to the distance of a seated bullet, which means you can hold a LOT of shot. OMG it just blew snakes into pieces...again with #12 shot.

Since the .303 brass thing took a good deal of work, and the case mouths 9 times out of 10 would split upon firing, I decided to see if there was an easier way. So I just loaded up to the end of the case with shot. Charge powder, seat a gas check with the cup facing up down against the powder being careful not to compress the powder. Now take the round, scoop up the shot and shake off the excess, then cap with a gas check with the cup facing down, and then roll crimp the gas check in place. Be subtle on the roll crimp or it will buckle the gas check...have to fiddle a little to get it right, but it's not tough.

That load was 90% as good as the extended cartridges made from the .303 brass, and was easy-peasy to make. So I let him have the dies and I didn't bother with the extended cartridges anymore. When I need some .45 ACP shot rounds, I just call him up and have him send me a dozen.

So what I learned; most any handgun (typically revolver) cartridge can be turned into a very efficient snake killer with the above listed method. Obviously the larger you go, the more dramatic the performance. .45 Colt was very impressive, but .32 H&R was no slouch by any means. Most times one shot is all you need when you use #12 shot.

So you noticed you can't ever find #12 shot; not surprised. The only place I've found to get it is Ballistic Products: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

The last bag I bought was over 15 years ago and it tends to last decades. IIRC they come in 12lb bags, and I'd still be using mine if I didn't lose it when I moved (it's there somewhere).

#12 shot only comes in those 12lb bags, and gas checks only come in 1,000 boxes; so the initial investment is a little stiff, but you have a near lifetime supply.

K, where did you get your homemade shot shell recipes? I am interested in reloading for a few different calibers

Well we just figured it out. Figure out how much your average charge of shot will weigh (it's been years since I've made them, but I wanna say my .45 Colt loads were around 230-ish grains of shot. So then I found a load for a 230 grain bullet for the powder I intended to use. At first I loaded on the light side, but as the years wen't by, I found that the patters were actually better the faster I pushed the shot.

You have to start somewhere. So estimate how much shot you'll use. Do this by pushing a gas check down to where you think it should be. Then scoop up some shot, knock off the excess, and pour it into the scale and weigh your charge. That's your "average" shot charge. Then find a corresponding load that will work. You need to make darned sure that when you come to your powder charge, you don't compress the powder with the gas check.

As a seating die for the inside gas check, adjust your expander (bell) die so it will press the gas check down the same depth every time; there's your inside gas check seater.

Make sense?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Ah yes, the enduro motorcyle -- both on and off-road capable. Can do both, but neither well........ I would rather bank on an "ordinary" revolver, but that's just me.
Bad analogy...the enduro motorcycle actually fits a need and performs a service.

I hate agreeing with Kevin but I did think Whitworth was being a little hard on enduro's when he wrote that...

Travis
We'll keep it a secret wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I posted several links with some good information. My reasoning is an accumulation of the info from those and other sources. You can read the same stuff - and if you come to a different conclusion, there is probably nothing I can say to change your mind.

It's funny that those "certain circles" you vaguely mention are full of people who are pretty accomplished and knowledgeable shooters and defense instructors. Forty years ago, I might have agreed that the body of knowledge is limited and suspect - but not now.
Honestly, I haven't looked at the links because I read everything there was to read on this subject several years back. That is not to be disrespectful of what they're saying. I've read a bit of the box o' truth's stuff on .410's and know that particular site doesn't favor them. You can generate "evidence" to support the other side too. Also there are other experienced shooters who like the concept. I'm probably the single most experienced shooter here when it comes to this concept. Anybody who doesn't believe it can do a search or simply disbelieve it. My take on the whole thing is this:

Doesn't matter about the concept, the basic Judge (I can't speak to every single variant) isn't reliable so the concept doesn't matter. It may be the design but my opinion is that it's the execution. Whatever it is, it is unreliable.

As to the Governor, it is reliable but my experience with it isn't as great as the Judge. But now we can get to the concept. The 45 part of the equation is fine and is surprisingly more accurate than one would expect given the 410 chambers. It is fine at typical self defense ranges. The 410 side is more iffy. With specialty loads designed for 410 handguns specifically, the guns pattern adequately at self defense ranges. With standard 410 loads, the individual load must be judged on its own merit. Collectively, the standard loads are not impressive at all.

I'll take real-world results over lab ones any day. That doesn't mean I totally discount lab results, it means that I think real world ones are in the main, more representative. IIRC there are a couple of instances of self-defense on record with these guns. I'll leave that to others to check on though. If you can believe the bit about the hog's head, I've been around enough hogs to know that a hog's head is tougher and more resistant to penetration than a human's is, unless you're talking a liberal. So anything that penetrates a hog head will definitely penetrate a human skull. To me this trumps talk of velocity and chronographs, etc.

The Judge isn't a worthy choice for anything much. The Governor is fine if you like the concept.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Make sense?

Yeah, actually makes perfect sense.....never thought about weighing the shot and loading it like a bullet

Thanks

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boococky

Make sense?

Yeah, actually makes perfect sense.....never thought about weighing the shot and loading it like a bullet

Thanks
The new avatar rocks, amigo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Honestly, I haven't looked at the links because I read everything there was to read on this subject several years back. That is not to be disrespectful of what they're saying. I've read a bit of the box o' truth's stuff on .410's and know that particular site doesn't favor them. You can generate "evidence" to support the other side too. Also there are other experienced shooters who like the concept. I'm probably the single most experienced shooter here when it comes to this concept. Anybody who doesn't believe it can do a search or simply disbelieve it. My take on the whole thing is this:

Doesn't matter about the concept, the basic Judge (I can't speak to every single variant) isn't reliable so the concept doesn't matter. It may be the design but my opinion is that it's the execution. Whatever it is, it is unreliable.

As to the Governor, it is reliable but my experience with it isn't as great as the Judge. But now we can get to the concept. The 45 part of the equation is fine and is surprisingly more accurate than one would expect given the 410 chambers. It is fine at typical self defense ranges. The 410 side is more iffy. With specialty loads designed for 410 handguns specifically, the guns pattern adequately at self defense ranges. With standard 410 loads, the individual load must be judged on its own merit. Collectively, the standard loads are not impressive at all.

I'll take real-world results over lab ones any day. That doesn't mean I totally discount lab results, it means that I think real world ones are in the main, more representative. IIRC there are a couple of instances of self-defense on record with these guns. I'll leave that to others to check on though. If you can believe the bit about the hog's head, I've been around enough hogs to know that a hog's head is tougher and more resistant to penetration than a human's is, unless you're talking a liberal. So anything that penetrates a hog head will definitely penetrate a human skull. To me this trumps talk of velocity and chronographs, etc.

The Judge isn't a worthy choice for anything much. The Governor is fine if you like the concept.

Okay - I'll play...

I don't like to rely on "lab tests" either. That's why I don't put a lot of stock into gelatin penetration demonstrations - which may or may not be calibrated, btw.

I haven't killed any people with a gun, or even tried to - but I've killed a lot of animals. Done quite a bit of it with the .410. Done even more with rifles and handguns of various calibers - including .22lr.

I look at the damage done with each and compare. The .410 has what it takes to kill small animals, but not much more. It just doesn't deliver the payload that other rounds do. Sure - at arms length or a little more, it's probably going to be enough (edit: ...for home defense). But that is too limiting for such use, IMO. And for what? All of the arguments that I see for a shot pistol as home defense just don't hold up.

Conversely - you can see that most of the fighting handgun rounds and all of the rifle rounds have an excess of what it takes to kill small animals (rabbits and such) or better.

You can kill just about anything you might find in a barnyard with a shot to the head with a .22. I watch the mobile butcher do it every year. So how do head shots on pigs prove anything in regards to defense? You gonna rely on getting a head shot as your only option?

When the vast majority of knowledgeable shooters are telling you something about a gun concept, it's probably best to listen. It's not like we're discussing a nebulous thing like the beginning of the universe.

Last edited by FreeMe; 02/27/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, okay, bad analogy! How about this. The Governor is much like the Taurus Judge -- .410 and .45 Colt capable. It can do both, but neither well. Is that better? grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Okay, okay, bad analogy! How about this. The Governor is much like the Taurus Judge -- .410 and .45 Colt capable. It can do both, but neither well. Is that better? grin
That makes me feel better...Now my old Kawasaki KLX650 doesn't feel slighted.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,732
Posts18,514,342
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.