Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I mentioned above a few of the remaining tools I need and would like you guy's opinions on where to go to get them.

What is your preferred powder compression die?
I use a lyman M die
Drop tube - What do you guys use?
Don't need one if your going to have to compress anyway. Just hold the scale pan above the funnel and pour slowly
Wads? Any preferences there?
Walters Wads
The lube I have is some old NRA recipe, 50-50 Beeswax/alox. Is there something else y'all prefer?
Go to cast bullets and get in contact with Bullshop for his Nasa lube
I DO appreciate all input here, folks!
Even the obnoxious, sickening, foul, nightmare-inducing threats of E.T. eek

Ed

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jensen

Thank you for digging that one up.

The good news is, I sent Bill Goodman a deposit check (out in today's mail) for a Hartford Model, .45-70, 30" heavy octagonal barrel, 7 degree leade, semi-fancy wood, brass escutcheons, steel shotgun buttplate, and barrel sights.

Delivery expected around mid-June. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I mentioned above a few of the remaining tools I need and would like you guy's opinions on where to go to get them.

What is your preferred powder compression die?
I use a lyman M die
Drop tube - What do you guys use?
Don't need one if your going to have to compress anyway. Just hold the scale pan above the funnel and pour slowly
Wads? Any preferences there?
Walters Wads
The lube I have is some old NRA recipe, 50-50 Beeswax/alox. Is there something else y'all prefer?
Go to cast bullets and get in contact with Bullshop for his Nasa lube
I DO appreciate all input here, folks!
Even the obnoxious, sickening, foul, nightmare-inducing threats of E.T. eek

Ed

Thank you, Don!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Some listings in Guns America and probably on Gun Broker too. Cost you a $200 premium to go thru Bill Goodman but he allways has order spots on the near horizon (before prod date starts that the specs can be changed on). Good luck. Magnum Man

Bill had exactly what I was looking for with a mid-June delivery date. See my post above.

Thanks!

Ed

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats,it sounds nice and not to late to request an original style chamber for paper patch only bullets. No need in being a low down greaser shooter is there.? Flame suit on. Go for it Magnum Man

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
No flame here. grin

If I got the information correct, the 7 degree leade will be just the ticket for greasers or PP.

I will start with greasers as those are the molds I have now. At some point I also want to try PP.

So much to try, so little time.

What's your secret recipe for PP?

Ed

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ed, I like Kik 2F, WLR's and a Kal tool mold the 45 TGBS bullet running about 540 grs at 1 in 50 alloy from my tight chamber.I use jojoba/ beeswax grease cookies in every load target or hunting for my 2 7/8" with Norma brass. The bullet is .440" dia and patches to .4495" with vellum paper or to.448" with 9lb onion skin. My bullets and loads hold up and hit to 1 mile when I do my part. Magnum Man

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you, sir!

As you have read, I'm starting out with the lowly .45, 2 1/10" aka "The AK variant" of the BPCR world. grin
At least it's not a Handi-Rifle...

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats, Ed smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, Patrick. I'll really grin when I have it in my hands.

Ed

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ed, nothing wrong at all about the 45-2.1 it is never a wrong choice. Probably won every BPCR shoot shot one time or another. Damn few BP carts you can say that ABOUT GOOD LUCK. Mag Man

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you!

I have been given some very good advice here and elsewhere about caliber selection.

As with any "beginner" I elected to start with something that had reams of data available on bullets, sight choices, settings, trajectories, powders, etc.

The way I see BPCR, it is "Master Class" and one doesn't start with the toughest combination just to sate one's ego.

I am all about learning and I like to start out basic and advance from there. My first engine rebuild wasn't 'til after I had been pulling wrenches on my Dad's vehicle for years and then it wasn't a hot rod, just a simple, Olds 403. grin

I'm really looking forward to this journey. My neighbors may not, but I am. laugh

Ed

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Ed, I avoided silly common (boring) chamberings until I was by accident made the owner of that 30'06 Mountain gun. It has been a retro discovery going on 20 years now and I feel confident I know at least 1% of the cartridge's goodness and potential. The Krag and Two-point-one, I suspect are more of the same. Just be the best 45/70 shooter you can be! That would be skookum.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks, Bill. I'll do my best. grin
Maybe take a Kansas Whitetail with it this winter.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually, once you get to burning a couple of hatfuls of powder out of it, you will be foamin' at de mouf to knock off something BIG and tasty. I am truly tickled that ya have it coming, BUT the ball busting has just begun grin Don't fret as purty soon you get to join the pile on CrimsonTide as he gets sucked farther into the vortex of the Darkside grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
So, you've got your sights on Joel, too? Does his lovely bride know?

She can kick your ass, you know. grin

I looked at the anticipated delivery date again (I know, I CAN'T wait! grin ) and realized that it is supposed to be finished mid MAY, not mid June. laugh

I guess I need to plan another trip up to Powder Inc. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinI am SOOO Evil that I have CT's Bride thinking Sharps too! grin,Y best order yer powder by the case,it goes down like a toilet flushing grin WORSE yet, when you really get hooked on PP slugs all is TRULY lost grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I am fortunate in that I'm in the neighborhood of Powder, Inc several times a year on business and I'm driving, so I can pick up as much as I want. grin No shipping or HazMat fees. grin

Now, I just need to find a couple of tons of lead and some tin...

Ed

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Glad yer getting a 45-70 Ed, I feel no shame pushing the Jerry Dean 505 gr flat nosed greasers to 1250 fps with 3F KIK in mine. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 10Glocks, 338reddog, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 844 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,903
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.