Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would've kept the SWFA scope around for long range play, mounted in QR mounts and zeroed for the 75 grain Amax. Another set of QR rings would house a Leupold 6x or whatever slender scope I chose zeroed for hunting/varmint loads. Schit can the CDS scope.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I couldn't argue against gluing or taping the zoom selector to 7x on that glass,as it'd actually help thangs out. You prolly won't,so it's prudent to shoot it at differing zoom levels,to see how schit wanders in POA/POI intersections. That with and without ele erector input. You'll learn sumptin' there,whether good or bad...but at least you'll KNOW. Lotsa glass shifts impact,due just a zoom change and NO erector input. Hint.

A "box test" is a [bleep] joke,unless your box is say 40MOA x 40MOA. I never did understand the fascination with a coupla "clicks" here and a coupla "clicks" there,as a means of quantification. Modest moves,will tell you nothing. Hint.

Lotsa ways to skin a cat,but I always start at the azzhole.(grin) I wanna see lineal shifts in say 5,10,15,20,25,30,35,etc. increments,less any sideways shifts,flat spots and an absolute repeat to zero.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A 5 Mil ele bump isn't gonna hurt,nor really gain in this application...so give me an uncluttered windshield to drive with for Utility. Doubly so,when talkin' archaeic Dogface or Jarhead 'dots. Their greatest strength is for windage holdoffs and that approach is viable,though I'm more than a bunch comfy with a "lowly" Duplex there.

Now back to the SWFA Fixed [bleep],their mil scale designations are farrrrrrrr more fine than the Dog/Jar 'dots and reliably open windows of opportunity,due that marked improvement. The tick marks and stadia thicknesses,allow one to hold harder and subtend more accurately. Win/win.

I'd MUCH rather drive a Duplex/M1/MOA system,than a Dog/Jar 'dot and Mil/Mil. There ain't enough Mil substension value on the reticle to really make a [bleep],it's coarse by design and all the glass you cite is SFP,which is yet another can of changing worms in conjunction,with the above limitations. Fixed glass is ohhhhh soooooo soothin' and nothing is warmer/fuzzier.

Conjoin that with a CDS-ish BDC ala the AR and you've got Goat [bleep] sewed right up.(grin)

Thinkin' I'm gonna slam a 6x Fixed [bleep] on a 223 Montucky,beings you boys shamed me into it.(grin) The Reticle alone will reach 1K,due it's breadth of holdoff and finite-ish nature and there's (2) 2-7X's worth of erector travel in the elevation to boot. As I mentioned,C-Note(18" 223AI/75'Max) will reach a mile easily,when wearing same. Gotta another new 6x Fixed [bleep] setting in the box at the house,waiting for me to get there and I was gonna poke it on a Dick Rifle,but may do different in the name of R&D.(grin)

Your best first move is to PROVE whatcha' got,KNOW what it do,don't do and more importantly why and you'll be peeling that glass offa there in a hurry. Hint.

Funny how it actually works.(grin)

I'm wheels up bitches,for a 2 week Cast & Blast.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
My Kimber stabilizes the 75 grain Amax, and shoots them into little tiny clusters.

I would recommend buying the 600 count....if you decide you don't like them they will sell via the classifieds in about 5 seconds. smile

Getting a 223 to 1000 is no big feat; though it isn't my first choice when the wind really gets to whipping.

My first choice in the wind at 1000 is 90jlks. 80s would be right behind that. JLK also.

But most guns won't stabilize a 90. But the 90s have won me a lot of chit over years of 600-1000 yard highpower matches.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What twist do you need for those?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Fixed glass is ohhhhh soooooo soothin' and nothing is warmer/fuzzier

Hard to argue this. Its the reason why I wanted to give the SS a try. Too big for the Montana. Thought about going QR rings, but it really just overwhelmed the rifle. If Leupold would build a 10x fixed without the dang AO (give me a side focus knob please) then I would jump. Or maybe Sightron take the fixed 10 and move it to a 1 inch tube to lose some weight. Keep the Mil/Mil.

A 5 Mil ele bump isn't gonna hurt,nor really gain in this application...There ain't enough Mil substension value on the reticle to really make a [bleep]

I get where you are coming from on this. The 5 mil only gets you a little less then half of the elevation needed to 1000 for the 223/75AMAX zero @ 100. Bump up the zero if you want, but still needing to touch the turret. In this instance I see the use for a reticle like the Mil-Quad with more Mil of elevation to use. Or forget the dots all together and get to cranking with a reliable scope.

I just thinking having some dots in the windshield for windage is worth it. Read my splash, adjust a known amount vs "scoot" over the duplex and try again. Even more so with a 223. Maybe a heavier wind splitting caliber can be easier to play windage at 1000 with a duplex.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

223 Rem, 20 inch tube, takes 6.5 twist to stabilize. Can shoot down to 52/53 in it also, with a few varmint jacket exceptions at times...

Of course larger round is more speed etc.... I wished I recalled, there were some folks shooting out of 22/6mm many moons back, no clue what twist... I was thinking that 8 might have sufficed but 7 certainly would.

7 in my setup is marginal, gives nice groups, but slightly oblong barely noticeable holes at 300 yards already....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS almost won our state palma match wiht that setup one year, finished 3rd fighting all the bolt gunners with their fancy rigs and nice easy to see sights... won 800 and 900 wiht an AR service rifle outright. Lost the whole chit at 1000 due to elevation issues of me not being able to see well enough to hold elevation at 1000...

Next day beat David Tubb in the 600 yard match same setup.

Of course a blind hog does find an acorn now and then. I"ll admit to that. And his 6xc and Tubb 2000 was fairly new to him at that point.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
... Or maybe Sightron take the fixed 10 and move it to a 1 inch tube to lose some weight ...

They're using the room inside the 30mm tube to accommodate a large adjustment range.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I loaded up some 90gr SMKs for [bleep]-n-gigglz some years back.

I pushed them through my Colt 1/7 20" AR15. They were accurate and stable at 400 yards.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

223 Rem, 20 inch tube, takes 6.5 twist to stabilize. Can shoot down to 52/53 in it also, with a few varmint jacket exceptions at times...

Of course larger round is more speed etc.... I wished I recalled, there were some folks shooting out of 22/6mm many moons back, no clue what twist... I was thinking that 8 might have sufficed but 7 certainly would.

7 in my setup is marginal, gives nice groups, but slightly oblong barely noticeable holes at 300 yards already....

I shot 90 grain Berger VLDs from a Brux 8 twist 22-6mm. They stabilized fine.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I loaded up some 90gr SMKs for [bleep]-n-gigglz some years back.

I pushed them through my Colt 1/7 20" AR15. They were accurate and stable at 400 yards.

[Linked Image]

Thats because the BC IE shape is differnet and allows the stabilization.

I ran a LOT of figures on 223, nothing else, and NO other 90 was worth the hassle, if you ran anything other than 90 jlk, then you were better off to push the 80 jlk hard.

PS thats good info on the 22/6mm post RE stable, IIRC the bergers are the same issue, easier to stablize by just a bit.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Ag,

I do LOVE me some feexed glass,but noone HATES moveable rings,more than I. ALL QR's suck ass. Gimme max ring spacing and bloody knuckle Tightitude on all. Rifles shoot loose,they don't shoot tight. Hint.

Leupie has long built 10x Mildot side focus feexed glass,though in 30mm.

[Linked Image]

I prefer the Fixed [bleep] parallax adjustment locale,fore of the ocular. Really love it on 6x glass,due the fact that adjustments is sooooo seldom required.

[bleep] Sightron,they are dog schit junk,same goes Vortex.

I whistle 75's to 1K and beyond,daily,with Duplex upon 1" tubes and am prolly hip on the notion.(grin) Lotsa ways to steer wind,beings it's VooDoo. The main thang bein' you simply gotta shoot in it,to LEARN it. Hint.

5 Mils with the above cited 75 'Max in a SAAMI 223,is a 10mph full value correction at the 1400yd line(sea level). If only for conversation. Lotsa ways to use a Duplex there,if only obviously.

You want a 6x42 non-A/O wearing M1 ele and if it soothes you,opt the Mildot reticle in conjunction.

[Linked Image]

I gotta bolt up yet another 6x Fixed [bleep] I just carved outta it's wrapper.(grin)

'495,

Pass the A-Max and hold the fluff.

Shane,

You sooooooo need a fast twist 223AI boltgun,so you can deal upper BC smooches.

It'd steal The Show,for FUN.

Hint.(grin)

'goat,

I've flung 'em outta my Krieger 1-7.7" 22-250AI 23.3" Dick Rifle.

Pass the A-Max.

Hint.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll get around to a 223AI one of these days. Hell I might just convert one of my 308s into a fast twist 22-250.

Saw this over on SH, a FF 6X Milquad for $225 shipped,

http://forum.snipershide.com/optics-sale/238292-ss-6x-mil-mil.html

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'll get around to a 223AI one of these days. Hell I might just convert one of my 308s into a fast twist 22-250.

Saw this over on SH, a FF 6X Milquad for $225 shipped,

http://forum.snipershide.com/optics-sale/238292-ss-6x-mil-mil.html

Not anymore cool it'll be goin' on a 223 AI

Brett
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Kewl....grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shane,

I shot it 7 times,after mounting the scope in a haste...to contend this HORRIBLE Kansas Winter Weather.

Bore-sighted it at 50yds and shot once. Doped the poke and shot another at 100yds. Doped it and gunned 3 touching at .4 Mils high. Then slung two pokes at the 1000yd line,just to confirm tracking...and my mind be at ease.(grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Schit be in DEEP DooDoo.(grin) I've 22.5 Mils remaining "up" in the erector with a 250yd zero,which is right atta mile,then there's the 10 Mils of padding in the reticle. 5 Mils of 10mph full value wind is the 1625yd line. Balls deep it's a 2000yd platform,as ele goes.

Prolly won't suck and I'd be curious to see what she'd do if'n it had been cleaned in the last 1500+ rounds.(grin)

Brett,

That'll teach me to jump offa plane,start opening Mail and go play with same.(grin)

GOOD thing you didn't linger.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Prolly won't suck and I'd be curious to see what she'd do if'n it had been cleaned in the last 1500+ rounds.

Dyna Bore Coat?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm thinking moly and saltwater....grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
yea Moly...

Boxer,

The rifle it's going on is sitting in a classic and I can't decide how to mount it (talleys, DD, or pic rail) don't have any on hand so it'll be a new purchase for the scope. you running Mediums or Lows on C-Note?

Last edited by Brett_Mc; 02/26/14.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like some nice weather up your way, but I know it can turn on a dime.

We're just now getting some typical winter, after a fairly mild start.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (300s, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 41 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,010
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.