Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
DL030.

Hope it means something to you folks. Some guys think the CO draw is incomprehensible!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
GB1

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, the regulations can get complicated, and I haven't even checked the Federal Hunting regs for that area yet. That's important because most of SE Alaska is part of the Tongass National Forest, and the toothpick cops love to make up their own rules.

The cabin we were talking about about, Beecher Pass Cabin is located on Woewodski Island. Looking at the map for DL030, Woewodski Island is not part of that hunt. You can stay there, but you can't hunt black bear on Woewodski with the DL030 permit.

Go to this website...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingmaps.byhuntnumber

...and type in your permit number DL030 and it will come up with a page which has two maps of the exact hunting area for that permit. To hunt Woewodski, you need DL031.

You are better off with your permit to hunt Kupreanof Island. There's no way Woewodski has enough quality black bear for 4 tags to fill.

I see there are at least 4 other cabin located in Kah Sheets Bay which are actually in your permit area. Most of the require a serious high tide to access though. But if you can research the salmon runs in the rivers nearby those cabins, you might find one that will work for you.

Another route to take is to hunt the road system out of Kake, and hike into whatever salmon streams you can access everyday. You could camp, or return to Kake each night.

If you can contact JJHack on this forum, he'd be a good source of information too.

He told us about seeing a brown bear on Kupreanof years ago. They're not suppose to be there, but someone forgot that bear can swim. SE Alaska brown bears can be very dark colored, and mistaken for black bears if not observed carefully.

Brian

T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, Brian.

Very good to know about the brown bear color phases. We're studying up on bear ID.

One of my parts built trail from FS one or two summers during college and knows the area pretty well. Some of the guys he worked for are still there and provided some recent intel the other day. They said to hit the streams also.

All four of us are really looking forward to this hunt, now! Spent the day in the shop working up brass and loads for three Kimber Montanas clamoring to go. Now I'm really wishing my 35 Whelen was stainless steel�

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a website with the tides for the Petersburg area in Sept...

http://www.ezfshn.com/tides/usa/alaska/petersburg/september/2014

The second and forth week have some pretty serious tides, including the high tides some of those cabins need to access. Of course your hunting schedule will be directly tied to the tide schedule. Nothing sucks worse than getting to the cabin at low tide after a long day, and having to hike 2 miles because there's not enough water to get the boat closer. Then again, if you get the boat to the cabin, you'll be stranded until the next high tide.

Not only will you guys by using your hunting skills, but your boating skills (in a extreme tidal area) are going to be pushed hard.

Local support will be a big help though.

Brian

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, Montana has a great online brown bear/black bear identification course and test.

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/

Brian

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taz4570
Si on the cabin. That's the one I believe we have reserved for two weeks. We plan to hunt the stream up to a lake and some clear cuts, and along the shoreline. I'm pushing to rent a boat to cruise the shoreline.

Just figuring out all of the logistics now. We are very experienced western state hunters, but normally have lots of room in trucks and trailers to load up. So this is an entirely different expedition for at least three of us.

I've done the fly out hunting trips in AK and the best advice I can give it give more thought to what you don't need to bring vs what to bring. Think along the lines of back packing vs truck camping.

It's amazing how little you can get by with and still be comfortable.

I've made the mistake of bringing too much gear the first time around and I'm sure others have too.

Good luck with the hunt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 56 invisible), 3,423 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,777
Posts18,535,926
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.