Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There was a couple of urban legends about Bob Keeshan winning the Navy Cross and some Iwo Jima stuff, but he never saw any combat at all in WW2. Most of it was based on something Lee Marvin was supposed to have said on a talk show, but actually didn't. I use to see him on Nantucket Island occasionally in the early '80s and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite was Johnny Quest! That was some good stuff for the era, and who among us would not have traded places with that kid and his sidekick Haji, seeing the world and solving big time crime with all of those cool inventions of his dad and team!

Do ya'll remember the saying at the beginning of all of the superman shows?

"Fighting for truth, justice and THE AMERICAN WAY!" Bck then, American exceptionalism was just accepted as fact and as right by everyone. Even, to a degree, by our enemy's and counter countries.

What I would give to have that attitude and the actions it brought on returned to this great land!

Try to fins such an attitude or expression in todays popular Television outside of the Fox News Network.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by john843
There was a couple of urban legends about Bob Keeshan winning the Navy Cross and some Iwo Jima stuff, but he never saw any combat at all in WW2. Most of it was based on something Lee Marvin was supposed to have said on a talk show, but actually didn't. I use to see him on Nantucket Island occasionally in the early '80s and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Wiki:
Keeshan was born in Lynbrook, New York. After an early graduation from Forest Hills High School in Queens, NY in 1945, during World War II, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, but was still in the United States when Japan surrendered. He attended Fordham University on the GI Bill.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Johhny Quest was a TV ripoff of the famous Tom Swift book adventures. I read every single Swiftie and loved them. As a fledgling gunnut, I distinctly recall "Tom Swift and his Electric Rifle."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Smokin' cigarettes, and watching Captain, Kangaroo, don't tell me, I've nothing to do,"
The Statler Brothers.

Counting flowers on the wall, don't bother me at all...

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Johnny Quest

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
Johnny Quest

He would have been disappointed in Hadji crashing into the World Trade Center on 9/11 though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
deputy dawg and the varmints

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Johnny Quest

He would have been disappointed in Hadji crashing into the World Trade Center on 9/11 though. wink

Haji was not a Middle Easterner, was from India. Would not likely even have been a Muslim with his attire and background.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Johnny Quest

But I think haji was suppose to be Hindi.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did anyone besides me get a spring loaded Johnny Eagle rifle that looked a lot like an 03/A3 springfield that fired plastic bullets? Each 30/06 'casing' had a spring in it that pushed the plastic projectile out of the barrel when the trigger was pulled. Easily my all time favorite toy, along with my olive drab pup tent.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I enjoyed CK. Mr. Green Jeans, Bob, Mr. Moose and Bunnyrabbit.

Johnny Quest was a fav on Saturday mornings, too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone else remember Gunsmoke and the SixShooter on the radio? two famous T.V. and Movie stars were the narrators. Anyone remember who they were?

P
pod Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
how about sky king with his daughter penny and son skylar?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
Anyone else remember Gunsmoke and the SixShooter on the radio? two famous T.V. and Movie stars were the narrators. Anyone remember who they were?

Without actually Googling it, William Conrad (From Cannon TV series) comes to mind. Not sure though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
Did anyone besides me get a spring loaded Johnny Eagle rifle that looked a lot like an 03/A3 springfield that fired plastic bullets? Each 30/06 'casing' had a spring in it that pushed the plastic projectile out of the barrel when the trigger was pulled. Easily my all time favorite toy, along with my olive drab pup tent.

Oh yeah. If memory serves correctly, when you shot the rifle, it had a built in Bang...whine sound like a ricochet of a bullet. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing I remember about Johny Quest was the high body count for each show.

For a 10 or 12 year old kid, Johny didn't mess around - he and Race flat out killed the bad guys. Not like some of the later GI Joe or other cartoons where there'd be explosions and gunfire and all manner of mayhem but nobody actually died.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Captain Kangaroo, and Mister Green Jeans.

Remember?
Sure. I watched it regularly way back when.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love the old commercials for toy guns!

I doubt my grandkids would want to be caught with one of these at school today though... frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

Oh yeah. If memory serves correctly, when you shot the rifle, it had a built in Bang...whine sound like a ricochet of a bullet. grin

I think you are right, but this was 45 years ago and I really don't remember for sure on that point. Great toy, though.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,620
Posts18,511,949
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.