Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The weather was nice so I went for a hike along the Colo-NM border. While taking a rest I noticed a piece of metal sticking out from underneath a cedar tree. I found this old side-by-side shotgun. I'd be interested if anyone could identify it. The only markings I can find were on the rib between the barrels and this marking on one of the sides. Anyone have any ideas?
[Linked Image]ll.

GB1

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Another view.
[Linked Image]

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
One more view.
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Wow, that's a pretty neat find. Can't help you on the markings though.

Have you checked to see if the barrels are still loaded?

Last edited by navlav8r; 03/04/14. Reason: Spelling

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
navlav8r, no I have not. Good idea. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe it was dropped there by Billy the Kid after he shot ole Bob the Sherrif with a load of dimes wink

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/04/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tamale;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well on this still Tuesday afternoon.

Let's see if I can make this work here - this is what a complete one should look like I believe.
[Linked Image]

OK then, if I make out the name on the side plate it is an F Dumoulin & Co shotgun, made in Liege, Belgium.

I've handled a few of the older Dumoulin doubles over the years and thought that they were fairly well made but definitely not a "high end" shotgun - though they may have made higher grades that I've not laid hands on.

Overall they seemed to be pretty good quality shotguns in my estimation, though to be sure I'm not an expert on much and certainly not antique shotguns.

Hopefully that was some use to you or someone out there this evening sir.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/04/14. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's an F. Dumoulin & Co shotgun. According to my Google-Fu, that company is still in business as Dumoulin Herstal.
They used the markings "F.Dumoulin & Co. around 1900.

This is a quote from a Gunbroker.com Forum by poster Ned Fall on 12/20/2009;

F. Dumoulin & Co was a Belgian gun maker from 1894 to 1930. You can confirm this by looking on the bottom of the barrels under the forearm for Belgian proof marks consisting of the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that. Most F. Dumoulin made shotguns were imported into the U.S. between 1889 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Belgium. The guns were inexpensive (cheap) utility grade shotguns and were sold through importers in the U.S. The guns were made to the specifications of the times, had damascus barrels and were designed for the ammunition in use at the time which was either black powder or early low pressure smokeless powder and had short chambers. They were not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder, 3 inch shells or magnum shells or steel shot. My advice is don't attempt to shoot the gun. Value? Value of course will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition . Value for one of these old imports can range from a high of about $175 to a low of less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a fire place poker. Most sell in the range of $50 to $100. "

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 03/04/14. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice find! $ value is not an issue, it is now a piece of your history.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Someone has worked on it at some time in the past. Note the slightly "buggered" hammer screw and the visible screw in the lock.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That's really interesting. It makes me wonder what it was doing in the area I found it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Nice find! $ value is not an issue, it is now a piece of your history.

+1 Fun to think where/who it came from

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
chlinstructor wrote... "...it was dropped there by Billy the Kid after he shot ole Bob the Sherrif with a load of dimes"

There's your description for Gunbroker.

Last edited by 5thShock; 03/05/14.
Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The barrels are bent and there is no wood. I think I'll just put in the den as a piece of gunmaking history with a cool story about finding it. I do appreciate all the insight you folks have given me about it. That's one thing I like about this forum. Aside from the goof-balls that post their expert armchair knowledge on here, we do have some genuine folks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thats a pretty cool find.Makes you wonder how long it was sitting there??

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tamale
The barrels are bent and there is no wood. I think I'll just put in the den as a piece of gunmaking history with a cool story about finding it. I do appreciate all the insight you folks have given me about it. That's one thing I like about this forum. Aside from the goof-balls that post their expert armchair knowledge on here, we do have some genuine folks.

Billy the Kid, or someone else, may have used the stock for firewood after he bashed someone over the head with the buttstock, bending the barrels in the process. The legend could keep growing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You wonder if someone put it down and couldn't re-locate it? I'd wonder if someone had a medical situation and never made it back?
Considering the fairly arrid climate in that region, that stock would take many years to rot away. Quite an unsolved story!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would take it back to where i found it and put it back in its grave . That is where it belongs

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very cool find! I always wonder when I climb to a high viewpoint somewhere about who has done that before. What hunter has done it before me? Someone famous or who knows?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Bones can't be far from the find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.