Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The old Barnes X bullets were bad about not opening on impact. We had several guys at my deer camp shooting them and every one of them lost deer that they felt they made good hits on. Of course they didn't recover the deer or the bullet so you can't say for sure, but these guys are experienced hunters so I trust their word. Guys that weren't shooting X bullets didn't have the same strange things happen, all four guys switched to different bullets and the problems stopped. I know a guy with a .375 X bullet sitting on his mantle that he dug out of an elephant he shot, no expansion at all and it's kind of bent like a banana. A guy that shoots one elk every five years and proclaims them the greatest thing ever don't have enough experience with them to make that claim. When you're in a Mississippi deer camp and see 50 deer a year shot with X bullets you figure out if there's a problem pretty quick, and we saw a lot of problems with the original X's.

Fast forward a few years and Barnes introduced the TSX with a bigger hollow point than the original X so it would open easier and the pencil through stories seemed to go away. Next they introduced the Tipped TSX with the plastic tip which I think is a much better design, the plastic tip gives something to initiate expansion instead of relying on something to get inside the hollow point and start it opening. I shoot the TTSX in my 7mm rem mag on deer, killed three nice bucks with them this year.

The original X bullet design WAS flawed, anyone who shot or saw many animals shot with them would figure that out. I personally don't like the hollow point design, even the bigger opening one on the TSX. I think the TTSX is the way to go with the plastic tip because they're going to open every time. I can't see any reason to pick a TSX over a TTSX. Ironically, as much as I didn't like the original X bullets I've pretty much settled on the TTSX as my go to bullet. I like the TTSX a lot.

We shot a lot of old X bullets,IE myself and friends, about 6 of us, even trips to Africa for some of us....

We never saw an X not expand and not kill well.

We did see issues of fouling and non accuracy until TSX came along

From TSX to TTSX I've never seen a failure either. Mind you our example is probably only an average of 25-30 animals a year since I heard about Barnes after a bad experience with Partitions, not choosing the right bullet weight, on nilgai and not knowing the 180 30 cal partition was not stout enough...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A friend showed me a recovered 168 TTSX shot from his .308, it didn't expand at all. Of course, he recovered it from a dead elk, heart shot.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rost495

We shot a lot of old X bullets,IE myself and friends, about 6 of us, even trips to Africa for some of us....

We never saw an X not expand and not kill well.

We did see issues of fouling and non accuracy until TSX came along

I've been accused of being a Barnes basher on these forums before. I'm not, a quick look at my reloading bench & in my magazine during hunting season would show that. I did see a lot of opening problems with the old X bullets though, being in a camp with an aggressive doe cull program & lots of guys shooting Barnes allowed us a big sample size. They had some teething pains until they improved the design. The current TTSX is a great bullet.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Funny how these Barnes X bullet threads pop up seemingly every other month. I've had several conversations with different folks here on the fire and elsewhere. Phone and email conversations with Barnes personnel to boot. I just can not be convinced to use these bullets at all.

I just do not get the warm & fuzzies for mono's from any manufacturer old, new or otherwise. Talk to one guy that loves them and thinks they are the boom. Then you can find 2 to 5 others that say they are the worst bullets ever designed.

Even getting information from the manufacturers is certainly not an easy affair. One email says one thing then another from the same person says something completely different. It is easier to get information on Sasquatch than these bullets.

With my limited time to hunt, the expense of a hunting trip, coupled with the respect that I have for the game animals that I pursue. I will not be using this type of bullet until I am absolutely forced to by our tree hugging government.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This doesn't mean I don't use monolithic, zero-weight-loss bullets anymore. I do, and for some purposes they're great. But contrary to what some people apparently believe, bullets that retain more weight don't kill quicker. In fact the opposite is true.

The way my narrow-minded self has viewed things over the past 40 years of killing stuff.....as long as Nosler keeps making a partition (or lately an accubond) it keeps things simple for me.

That entire post was excellent BTW, MD.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

This doesn't mean I don't use monolithic, zero-weight-loss bullets anymore. I do, and for some purposes they're great. But contrary to what some people apparently believe, bullets that retain more weight don't kill quicker. In fact the opposite is true.

The way my narrow-minded self has viewed things over the past 40 years of killing stuff.....as long as Nosler keeps making a partition (or lately an accubond) it keeps things simple for me.

JG you ain't alone wink ...I fall into that same "Dunce" category myself.... blush smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed at least 50 animals with various Barnes X's from the original to the TTSX, and seen around 100 others killed, including a bunch by my wife--which meant we both got to do the autopsy.

One mistake in evaluating bullet performance is judging ALL bullets of a certain make on specific calibers and weights. The X's I've seen fail to open were all above .22 caliber and under 30, and were straight hollow-points, not Tipped models. These have fairly small hollow-points, which evidently can be closed (or at least damaged) by bumping the front end of a typical box magazine. From .30 on up the hollow-point is larger and so much harder to damage. The .22 centerfires evidently don't recoil enough to damage the tiny hollow-points. When they DON'T expand, animals can go a very long way without much blood trail, even if solidly double-lunged.

One thing I've done for years in my hunting notes is record how far animals go after the hit. Monolithic bullets that don't fragment at all have resulted in the longest blood trails om average. Bullets that fragment considerably result in the shortest. This is with typical double-lung hits, without spine or more than one shoulder involved.

The difference, on average, the last time I added it all up a few years ago was about 20 yards for "very fragmenting" bullets and about 50 for zero-weight-loss bullets. And it didn't matter if the zero-weight-loss bullet was a Barnes X, Fail Safe, E-Tip or whatever. That's because zero-weight-loss bullets make a narrower wound channel.

Which is exactly why smaller monolithic bullets at very high velocities, and larger-caliber monolithic bullets at modest velocities work quite well: Both result in larger holes than monolithic bullets of modest weight and diameter at moderate velocities.

I would agree with these observations, after witnessing right around 100 animals killed with Barnes bullets, but would add that trying to consistently drop game with a monolithic lung shot is akin to trying to blow up a gopher with a field-tipped arrow- you're playing against its strong suit. Monos and bone smashing go together like peas and carrots, regardless of point of entry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hey, who knows, maybe Barnes will make a bullet one day that performs as good as a Nosler.............grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Funny how these Barnes X bullet threads pop up seemingly every other month. I've had several conversations with different folks here on the fire and elsewhere. Phone and email conversations with Barnes personnel to boot. I just can not be convinced to use these bullets at all.

I just do not get the warm & fuzzies for mono's from any manufacturer old, new or otherwise. Talk to one guy that loves them and thinks they are the boom. Then you can find 2 to 5 others that say they are the worst bullets ever designed.

Even getting information from the manufacturers is certainly not an easy affair. One email says one thing then another from the same person says something completely different. It is easier to get information on Sasquatch than these bullets.

With my limited time to hunt, the expense of a hunting trip, coupled with the respect that I have for the game animals that I pursue. I will not be using this type of bullet until I am absolutely forced to by our tree hugging government.

Your last paragraph is why I won't use anything BUT Barnes... just different strokes though.

Once the partitions pissed me off that was it. I"m of the Keith camp, hole in and hole out is the way to start. Any other damage tehre is better still, but without 2 holes i"m not happy.
And I've had not 2 holes from about every bullet out there in different situations except the Barnes.
John tells me that I should have picked the 200 partition for nilgai as the 180 was more an 06 bullet and had I done the 200 I might have had a differenet experience on nilgai from my 300 mag.

That being said I still run other bullets, but when it comes crunch time I run barnes. In anything I shoot from slow to fast.

For teh record others have had failures with Barnes, I"ve seen the pictures. Since I"ve been loading them I've yet to see anyone with a failure of any kind. As noted we only run 25ish or so samples a year...

My main issue even up to partitions is loosing too much weight to where you cannot be reliable to get through the animal at an angle.

If I knew at crunch time I could shoot every animal I wanted to, through the ribs broadside through the lungs, I'd not shoot Barnes either... In fact in those cases I"ve played enough with 185 bergers in my 308, that they perform as well or better than the 168 ttsx in my 308, But I"ve never had a not dead animal with the 168 either. 2 holes. Always expanded.

And years back when I shot a caribout at 802 yards, 228 win mag and 225 X... and the bullets expanded, both of them, I was amazed and sold period.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Curious how many hunts Barnes vs, Nosler take writers on?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being an NBT guy myself monometals just don't appeal to me. I compare them to the 180 grain CL RN's my dad started me out on as a kid. One hole in and one slightly larger one out and go trail your game. I was a whole lot happier when I switched to 150 grain CL's a couple years later.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never lost an animal with a TSX, but they sure do run further than with a bullet that sheds shrapnel in the lungs.

Monos are for bones.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My reply is "Don't use them, leaves more for me"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll always err on the side of penetration

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have had problems with 25 cal tsx's, but the other calibers(27,28,30) have worked fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I've never lost an animal with a TSX, but they sure do run further than with a bullet that sheds shrapnel in the lungs.

Monos are for bones.

Funny my experiences over the last 11 or so years have been very different. Since I have gone exclusively to them I have had more DRT than ever . The furthest has gone maybe 35 yards .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildone
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Monos are for bones.

Funny my experiences over the last 11 or so years have been very different. Since I have gone exclusively to them I have had more DRT than ever . The furthest has gone maybe 35 yards .

Most of my game taken with a TTSX have gone straight down. I did have a cow elk take a few steps before dropping. Would have shot her again but couldn't reload and get on target fast enough. Double lung, 400 yards, 180g TTSX,.300WM.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/07/14.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My record with Barnes X bullets and variations is unblemished.

Never lost a head of game
Never recovered a bullet
Never fired one on paper or in the field
I have a lot of them in 7mm and think one of these days I'll load a few up. After all the cup'n cores are gone.

Don't dislike them at all, it's just that I'm an X-bullet virgin. It might be because of the way I was raised.

Feeling left out in Yankeetown,

BD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
During "primitive wepaons" season in Louisiana, I used the 250 gr. TSX at 2,550 fps in a 45-70 BPCR Browning. I shot a doe crossing a shooting lane, hit her behind to shoulder. The bullet obviously expanding as it took out the top of her heart with the great vessels, blew a large exit hole in her chest. She ran 25 yds, blowing blood like a fire hose. Pretty impressive bullet performance.

DF

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'll always err on the side of penetration

Can't get satisfaction without penetration.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.