Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not to step on anyone's toes but .....

I think the issue here is when the discussion switches from a comparison of companies versus a comparison of country of origin.

If Brad's previously posted sentiment were true then optics such as the Vortex Razor spotting scope, the Nikon ED 50 spotting scope and the Nikon Monarch 7 binoculars would have to be included in that statement. In my experience, none of those optics are "poor quality"....and that was just a few of the more common ones.

Frank
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Frank about all these threads mean to me(they accomplish utterly nothing),is that people have a lot more choices among quality optics today than they did "X" years back (pick a number). smile

So, personally I have no quarrel with how and on what a man spends his money, but this is not really true of many I see on here discussing the matter. Many remind me of Democrats and love to wail to the heavens, suffering acutely, it seems,from class envy....

As soon as they see someone spending more than they can, or will,on an item,the discussion about the item stops and the ad hominem attacks commence.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/12/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Frank, mine is just a small play on the image, ie the Chinese philosopher in the poster. Just a small joke, really.

Here's one that may be more to your liking...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SteveC99
Interesting thread. You guys do realize, that despite the fun poked in Hawker's direction, you have proceeded to prove his point. If the last bunch of posts is not a bunch of guys staking out bragging rights, then there's been no bragging ever done here smile

Uuhhh.......no. wink

That would mean that any discussion of the merits of one product vs another,and interjecting your own opinion, constitutes "bragging"....which is something of a stretch.

Said another way, if you own something that costs more than what someone else owns, you are prohibited from expressing an opinion about it,for fear of being accused of "bragging"...they have names for this sort of speech suppression...I won't mention what they are. smile

Uhh...Yes it does. smile Look at the way you guys press the "merits". They are your merits, not somebody else's. Nobody can post about not needing a fancy binocular without this discussion coming out. You seem to think there are no merits outside $2,000 glass.

If you like the expensive stuff, fine. There is no need in today's optics world to spend over $500. But need and want seem to have differrent trajectories. You can even do that and stay away from Confucius land. smile

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Interesting thread. You guys do realize, that despite the fun poked in Hawker's direction, you have proceeded to prove his point. If the last bunch of posts is not a bunch of guys staking out bragging rights, then there's been no bragging ever done here smile

Uuhhh.......no. wink

That would mean that any discussion of the merits of one product vs another,and interjecting your own opinion, constitutes "bragging"....which is something of a stretch.

Said another way, if you own something that costs more than what someone else owns, you are prohibited from expressing an opinion about it,for fear of being accused of "bragging"...they have names for this sort of speech suppression...I won't mention what they are. smile

Uhh...Yes it does. smile Look at the way you guys press the "merits". They are your merits, not somebody else's. Nobody can post about not needing a fancy binocular without this discussion coming out. You seem to think there are no merits outside $2,000 glass.

If you like the expensive stuff, fine. There is no need in today's optics world to spend over $500. But need and want seem to have differrent trajectories. You can even do that and stay away from Confucius land. smile

Ever own any alpha bins? Hunted with them?

If there were no differences, at all,between various optics in various price brackets, objective folks like Mule Deer would not have charts rating what you can, and cannot see, through them,and under what conditions.

Also, some people who have owned and used both extensively would not tell you very firmly, that there are differences...and spend the money for the higher priced spread.

If what you say is true,then the guy who spent $2k on a Zeiss,would look through a $300 leupold, or Pentax,or whatever,decide he had been taken for a ride,and soon Zeiss would not exist as a company....right? In other words,the market place would even out the inequality

So, no, the differences are not subjective..you might not see
them; but this doesn't mean no one else does.

I don't recall anybody saying there are no merits outside of $2000 glass....that's your spin on it to attempt to prove your point.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Resolution, pure and simple, is where Alpha's shine.

I've never seen a non-alpha that resolved detail as well as The Big Four (Leica, Zeiss, Swaro, Top-End Nikon).

But I will confess I haven't spent any time behind Meopta's, something I intend to rectify.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Resolution, pure and simple, is where Alpha's shine.

Yup.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is one of the best posts ever made on the optics forums IMHO. I own, or have owned many different "alpha" products FWIW.......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yes, human eyes vary considerably, and there are even some general trends. On average women are more sensitive to the blue side of the spectrum, and men more sensitive to the red. The pupils of older people don't normally open as widely in dim light, which means a "full-sized" exit pupil of 7mm or so doesn't make as much difference to them as quality glass and coatings.

But our brains also play tricks on us. Several studies have down that price affects not just our judgment, but can actually make the part of the brain perceiving anything respond favorably. One study I came across was of a wine tasting. A bunch of bottles of wine without any label other than price were tasted by a bunch of people, some "sophisticated" wine drinkers and some not. The people were told they were rating new wines as an aid to wineries.

The price labels were phony. Some $5 wines had $30 labels, and some $40 wines had $8 labels, and so on. Overall, the more "expensive" wines were given higher marks, and it didn't matter if the taster was a wine sophisticate or not. That's not surprising, but the people were also hooked up to sensors that recorded responses in various parts of their brains. When most people responded favorably to a cheap wine, it wasn't just price prejudice. The part of their brain involving "taste pleasure" also lit up.

One of the tests I ran about a dozen years ago was covering the name of two brands of roof-prism binoculars of the same magnification and objective-lens diameter with duct tape. One was a high-dollar Big Three Euro, and one was a Japanese binocular costing half as much--though it was the "affordable" favorite of the year. They also resembled each other physically enough that most people wouldn't know the difference.

I don't recall the exact results, but out of about 20 people slightly more picked the Japanese binocular over the Euro, and a few called it a draw. There weren't any price tags on the binoculars, so I think the results were valid.

But binoculars also vary from year to year. Those same two binoculars would be considered very good today, but not top of the line. Some people keep chasing the flavor of the moment, but one thing I've noticed is that while individual eyes vary in optical preferences, skill in glassing varies even more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess BobinNH missed that one. smile

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, human eyes vary considerably, and there are even some general trends. On average women are more sensitive to the blue side of the spectrum, and men more sensitive to the red. The pupils of older people don't normally open as widely in dim light, which means a "full-sized" exit pupil of 7mm or so doesn't make as much difference to them as quality glass and coatings.

But our brains also play tricks on us. Several studies have down that price affects not just our judgment, but can actually make the part of the brain perceiving anything respond favorably. One study I came across was of a wine tasting. A bunch of bottles of wine without any label other than price were tasted by a bunch of people, some "sophisticated" wine drinkers and some not. The people were told they were rating new wines as an aid to wineries.

The price labels were phony. Some $5 wines had $30 labels, and some $40 wines had $8 labels, and so on. Overall, the more "expensive" wines were given higher marks, and it didn't matter if the taster was a wine sophisticate or not. That's not surprising, but the people were also hooked up to sensors that recorded responses in various parts of their brains. When most people responded favorably to a cheap wine, it wasn't just price prejudice. The part of their brain involving "taste pleasure" also lit up.

One of the tests I ran about a dozen years ago was covering the name of two brands of roof-prism binoculars of the same magnification and objective-lens diameter with duct tape. One was a high-dollar Big Three Euro, and one was a Japanese binocular costing half as much--though it was the "affordable" favorite of the year. They also resembled each other physically enough that most people wouldn't know the difference.

I don't recall the exact results, but out of about 20 people slightly more picked the Japanese binocular over the Euro, and a few called it a draw. There weren't any price tags on the binoculars, so I think the results were valid.

But binoculars also vary from year to year. Those same two binoculars would be considered very good today, but not top of the line. Some people keep chasing the flavor of the moment, but one thing I've noticed is that while individual eyes vary in optical preferences, skill in glassing varies even more.

A few years ago Sue wanted a new car. I asked her to close her eyes and I would take her to check on a car. We were driving a two or three year old Toyota Camry. She cooperated. I sat her in a Cadillac and then back in the Camry. She said,
"I like this seat better." Cheapest new car I ever bought.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whenever I see the word "fancy" in the optics forum, I pretty much know how quickly the thread will deteriorate.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This is a comical topic. I can still hear the echoes in the canyon from many years back. Oh that is Japanese junkjunkjunk. Now ya don't hear anyone bad mouthing Japanese products anymore do ya? Take a deep seat boys. As there are Americans that own companies in China. And are baby sitting them (quality control). And optics there are getting better in leaps and bounds. One of the main reasons is polishing compounds. While we are worrying about what is in them they are polishing away, and coating away. And will get a fine product, simply because all the big dogs were using the same compounds at one time. Economics will dictate that if they don't care if these compounds are dangerous. Buyers won't care either. Especially when the results are close to the alphas.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Ever own any alpha bins? Hunted with them?

If there were no differences, at all,between various optics in various price brackets, objective folks like Mule Deer would not have charts rating what you can, and cannot see, through them,and under what conditions.

Also, some people who have owned and used both extensively would not tell you very firmly, that there are differences...and spend the money for the higher priced spread.

If what you say is true,then the guy who spent $2k on a Zeiss,would look through a $300 leupold, or Pentax,or whatever,decide he had been taken for a ride,and soon Zeiss would not exist as a company....right? In other words,the market place would even out the inequality

So, no, the differences are not subjective..you might not see
them; but this doesn't mean no one else does.

I don't recall anybody saying there are no merits outside of $2000 glass....that's your spin on it to attempt to prove your point.

Everything you level at me there can be aimed right back at you. smile

Yes I have and use an alpha. You might not consider it so but I consider the view from and the construction of my Leupold Gold Ring HD to be in the top 10% of any binoculars. Now have you ever hunted with or owned...say a ZEN Prime HD? Any other mid price glass?

If the alpha were as good as you make out there would not be a bunch of companies from Alpen to Zen Ray doing the business they are.

There are people I know who will tell you very firmly that if they had any idea of what they could have got with the money, they would not have spent what they did. That works both ways too.

I also have never said I can't see the differences, I have said numerous times, but need to repeat it here, the difference I see is not enough to coax the $$ out of me. I have been on the verge several times of buying what you would consider a true alpha glass and simply did not see the justification. I have had all of them in the field, and I have more hours behind glass under conditions you can only guess about.

I simply see your post as your spin to prove your point smile

All of the tales of...back 20, 30, 40 years ago I bought an alpha and never regretted it. Back then there was essentially no mid price competition of the level we have today. That unquestioned level of superiority that existed then is not so much now.

Now, you were the one who dragged John Barsness in here. So after the fact why don't you try going over the thread here and reading what he actually did post here, in this thread...several times.

Last edited by SteveC99; 03/12/14.

Steve

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Brad,

No harm no foul. I wasn't singling you out specifically except your previous post had China in it so it was a good place to start my comments. :-)

Bob,

I don't think we are necessarily on different pages here. I understand where you are coming from with the class envy comment. I think I see where you can perceive Steve's comments, for example, in that manner. On the other hand, Steve' past comments (other threads) about a "newbie" coming on asking about what glass to buy and a dozen folks coming on and saying "save up for an Z, S, or L" could also be perceived as a elitist from a certain perspective.

I am not saying either is right.

Here is what I can say. I know Steve pretty well. He and I have been exchanging emails/private messages and posts on various forums for a good number of years now. We have even sent each other various binoculars to try out for evaluation purposes. I would consider that pretty trusting considering we have never met and we live on two opposite ends of the country.

He and I tend to share the same opinions on the various optics we review. I know for a fact that, at the moment, he has more mid-priced models on hand than I do. I also know that, if he wanted to, he could easily afford at least one or two of the Big Three if he should choose. The reason he chooses not to (if I may speak for him for a moment) is because he does not see the need to spend that much money on an optic. Optics in the mid-priced points are just "that good" these days.

As for me, I make no attempt to hide the fact that I cannot afford an L, S or Z right now. There was a time that I could and did own many of those models. If I do a little digging I am sure I can find my comparative threads on here and other forums where I reviewed all three of the top 7x42s available at the time. I have also owned many of the 8x32 alpha models and one 8.5x42 as well. I have owned every configuration of original Meopta Meostar lineup. I have owned Nikon SEs and E IIs. I have also owned an uncountable number of mid and low price level binoculars from a variety of different manufacturers and countries.

As someone who does not really have a stake in this one way or another my opinion is fairly simple. On the one hand many mid and even relatively inexpensively priced binoculars have become so good optically and mechanically that there really isn't much of a reason for a majority of individuals to look much farther to meet their needs. On the other hand there is still something to be said for the most expensive binoculars from the various European and Japanese manufacturers. They are almost always cutting edge in design with excellent build quality.

I guess what I would like to see is both sides of the discussion accept the fact that the other side does have a valid opinion on the subject.

Frank
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Frank,

Thanks for the thought. I will add no modifiers to your basic sentiment. smile

Steve

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am pleased with my Zen-Ray HD Prime 10x42. The only problem I have had with mine was the rubber eye cup cover came off one side. Optically they are great and I get complements from everyone who looks through them.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well said Frank and I totally agree on your last sentence.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, these threads typically have a tendency to get heated, no doubt. My observation is as follows:

-Advancements by the non-alpha producers are narrowing the "gap".
-Build quality/longevity is hard to measure near term - i.e. the new makers will have to prove themselves out over time
-Those that generally don't support buying an Alpha generally can't afford one, and therefore stay strong in their convictions and quite frankly visa versa.
-There is a difference IMO, Alpha is higher quality, again, whether it's worth it to you tends to depend on your financial situation but don't judge those you can make this purchase.

Last edited by cfran; 03/12/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I guess what I dont get is the guys that go out and buy every mid price range bin on the market so they can tell us how they are almost as good as the more expensive stuff, WTF? buy a pair of top end 10's and some 15's and end the mental masturbation.

If your job is to review optics then I get it, otherwise it makes no sense to me.

I do agree that the mid range stuff is pretty nice, my zeiss classics that i kept in my truck full time came up missing last fall. I replaced them with Zeiss Terra ED's and am pretty impressed with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of the "alpha" buyers don't just buy once/cry once though. Every time their favorite company makes some minor improvement, their previous "alpha" bino winds up in the classified section (or sold to a friend). Then we get to hear how the new and improved version is so vastly superior to last years model.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 44 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.