Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you really wanted to save weight you could go Paradox Unaweep. I just weighed a vx21 gray 3900 with base talon at 3 lbs 2
Ounces. Add 2 ounces for a 4800 which provides zippered access and when matched with a base talon is 5800 capacity.
Camo weighs very similar. Simple,
Lightweight , weatherproof without needing a 2nd mortgage

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll look a but deeper into those this round. I've always liked that Talon idea.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I love the Paradox. Switched mine from backpack mode to bear hunting mode last night by adding the frame extenders and changing to the orange Talon. It took all of a couple minutes. The more I use this pack, the more I like it.

Ed T

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another +1 for the Paradox. The belt does not slip! The thing is awesome.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Where is the KUIU pack made?

IC B2

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Frame in CA, bag smelled like sushi.....

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
16bore,

Did you have any complaints or were you just checking it out and not planning to keep it from the beginning?

I am looking at the Stone Glacier as well.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"New and Improved" never sits well with me. I don't like that the padding is thin and that the straps are sewn to the padding and not running through. At least it appears that way, not sure whats on the inside. I compared it to another Dana I have that's actually a post K2 and don't see it as being that far "ahead". I don't like that wedging gear/meat/whatever between the bag and frame is your "load shelf" and think the SG wins in that department, though I've never had my hands on one.

After all the initial chatter, I think a few things stand out. It seems the price point was the biggest selling feature of all. I've read too many threads that start or end "...for the money...". If in the grand scheme of things another $200 on a pack is the difference between having a good pack and not, then you need to step back and look at your schit. Everybody but our wives knows the amount of money we blow on this crap. If you're $350 in already on a backpack, you're already spending a chunk of change.

There was a pile of controversy with the Rokslide/Kuiu gang regarding some oddball tests the Rokslide wanted to do with the pack and Kuiu wouldn't have a part in it. I don't know all the details, but something always sat funny with me regarding that. Then Jason does his own "tests". Why? Are his tests better or did he not want it in the hands of folks who would bash it?

I liked what I saw initially, but started wonder if it was a price built piece of gear vs a purpose built one. I don't think comparing it to SG or MR is apples to apples.

Lastly, the big tag that said "Made in Vietnam" didn't give me the warm and fuzzy. Granted its just the bag thats imported (I think), but a little USA goes a long way. Yes, I drive a Toyota and that aint the point....

As far as I'm concerned, its the Tikka of backpacks.

Take the above with all the salt you'd like, but that's my story. And the next new pack in my mitts will be a SG.

As a side note, I'm still waiting for my Dana to puke.....

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the response. I look forward to checking mine out and may order a SG as well to do a direct comparison.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

If it's the Tikka of backpacks, I'm definitely ordering one laugh

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
So far I am very happy with my Ultra. It is very comfortable with both light and heavy loads. I have gone on some long hikes in the 40-80 lb range and some shorter ones in the 100+ lb range. No hot spots. Carries a load well. Amazing how light it is yet how solid it feels with a heavy load. Suspension is comfortable as well. I don't feel that it is too thin and I like the spacer mesh material, very fast drying / breathable.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
I don't like that wedging gear/meat/whatever between the bag and frame is your "load shelf" and think the SG wins in that department, though I've never had my hands on one.

I'd guess they are pretty similar, although I've never handled the Kuiu packs.

Originally Posted by 16bore

That was my impression from what I've seen in pictures, but I'm not sure it is a fair representation. When you start getting into lightweight stuff, you are either paying for lighter materials, or less "stuff". Usually a combination.

As to their marketing, it could be worse. They could be on the campfire inserting their name into every thread about a non-Kuiu pack.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Reckon so....

As for the Tikka reference, it's new and built somewhat differently. Folks love them, they hate them. I'll let the masses run the dog snot out of it and see how it holds up. Mine's going back to Cali for now. Never know, I like mustard on my crow.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Got the 6000 pack yesterday.

It seems well made and extremely light. I like the overall design and layout.

However, I am having an issue with the base putting pressure on the center of my lower back. This is most likely my issue, i am 6'6" and most things don't fit perfect. I will try more weight and adjustments today but imagine that it will get worse.

I wish the frame was a little bit longer.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cwh2

As to their marketing, it could be worse. They could be on the campfire inserting their name into every thread about a non-Kuiu pack.

Point well taken cwh2. I am just trying to dispel marketing claims that it is the lightest "hunting" pack out there when in fact it is not.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yes, that would be evil for an American to try to promote an American-made product to be used by Americans. CW, GFY, and have a nice day.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How's your Paradox working out?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kevin_T

Point well taken cwh2. I am just trying to dispel marketing claims that it is the lightest "hunting" pack out there when in fact it is not.

And I hope you continue to do that, because by all accounts the paradox is a great pack, and seems very interesting. I'd hate to see you afraid to talk about it here, because this is one of few forums that I read regularly. Your enthusiasm for the products you have created is well founded, and I would imagine it is difficult to direct people to another thread when they start asking questions.

To be clear, I want to draw a line between product and marketing here. As I said, every indication is that your product is excellent. When I see a product promoted a little too aggressively by its creators, it cheapens my view of the product, if that makes sense. Think Wiggys here - how many people have sworn never to buy a Wiggys bag without ever even seeing one due to the behavior of people associated with the company? I don't want to see that happen to SO or Paradox.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

CW, GFY, and have a nice day.

Already having a nice day, but thanks for the well wishes. And a friendly GFY right back at ya.

As an aside... when did we stop giving out $1.25 with each GFY?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

And I hope you continue to do that, because by all accounts the paradox is a great pack, and seems very interesting. I'd hate to see you afraid to talk about it here, because this is one of few forums that I read regularly. Your enthusiasm for the products you have created is well founded, and I would imagine it is difficult to direct people to another thread when they start asking questions.

To be clear, I want to draw a line between product and marketing here. As I said, every indication is that your product is excellent. When I see a product promoted a little too aggressively by its creators, it cheapens my view of the product, if that makes sense. Think Wiggys here - how many people have sworn never to buy a Wiggys bag without ever even seeing one due to the behavior of people associated with the company? I don't want to see that happen to SO or Paradox.

No worries, but thanks cwh2 for saving me the dime since I was signed up for the internet marketing school put on by the aforementioned manufacturer next week smile

I try to stay out of things, especially when they do not pertain to us. And honestly, I'm not a very good marketeer, however I do try to also dispel myths such as "lightest hunting pack in the world" when they are simply not true. Granted, perhaps I overstepped my bounds and got over involved in the conversation and for that I apologize. The KUIU may very well be a fantastic pack, I am not arguing that. What I am arguing is the lightest "fact". For comparisons sake lets take a Unaweep 6300 in Camo X33 with a Camo X33 Base Talon

Volume Paradox 7300 vs 6000 ?
Weight Paradox 3 lbs 7 ounces or less vs 3 lbs 9 or 10
Fabric Paradox - a mixture of 330 D Cordura XPAC forever waterproof and 500D Cordura vs 160 D Cordura

Which has better specifications ?

Granted, an Evo adds 5 to 8 ounces, but a Unaweep is still very capable. I think any manufacturer that claims the "lightest" or any other attribute that is easily measurable, does open themselves up to others injecting when it is not true. For instance, others could claim the Paradox is not the lightest , after all the Kifaru KU was lighter , and likewise, I could go bird hunting with a little cuben fiber sack thrown over my shoulder and call it a hunting pack ... but that is really pushing the limit. However, I could probably say the Paradox is the lightest pack currently available that can support a huge load and is designed to take years of abuse. That , IMO would be a fair statement.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 50 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.