Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 16mm ER is adequate for non eyeglass wearers? The older I get this seems to be an issue with some of the 8x32's I've messed with.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It is about perfect for me. But I'm kind of a middle of the road sort when it comes to eye relief.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SKane
Steve,

Per always, great writeup.

Do you think there is any particular reason for the ginormous eyecups?
Seems to be pretty popular amongst many lines. It's likely just my preference but they're deal breakers for me.

Just for a bit of clarification. Why are those eye cups, or more to the point I guess would be that type of eye cup in general, a deal breaker for you? Before I go off assuming you are an eye glass wearer I guess I better ask. Personally, since I don't wear glasses when using binoculars I can't fault them for being uncomfortable in use for me in any way. I'll bring up the eye cups up with Leupold as I think its is a simple fix that could be fixed in their next production run.

The only thing I can think of is that general style is easy to get and won't add to the cost much. Maybe when the optics people kick the bare binocular over to the arts and accessories folks, adequate thought does not get put into the exterior accouterments.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

I do not wear glasses. I just did a quick check of some smallish binos.
The Vortex and the EL have the smallest outside-lens-to-outside-cup diameter of the four at just a hair under 1/4", followed closely by the Theron at 1/4", then the Yosemite at 3/8". For tighter and deeper eye sockets like mine, the harder it is to get comfortable in the positioning. It's my one gripe against the Yosemite - well, that and I've just now discovered that the hinge won't keep them in a fixed position. frown

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I went by the local Sportsman's Warehouse and look at some of the dual hinge 10x42 Mojaves and 10x42 Zeiss Conquest (all they had) - now I know that these are not exactly what we are talking about but, the Zeiss was a much better bino. In features, feel, overall quality and view. I would like to find the 8X32 in each but that is not likely to happen. Unless the 8X32 Mojave is much better than the 10x42 then I think the Zeiss is worth the extra $ for me. I will wait until you guys can actually review the 8x32's side by side and be very interested in your findings.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Would you really expect them to "feel" the same, given the mojave is less than half the cost?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I do wear glasses. Any input on a mid range bino, or will these work well?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Steve thank you very much for this. I think I've found my next glass purchase!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The 16mm ER is adequate for non eyeglass wearers? The older I get this seems to be an issue with some of the 8x32's I've messed with.

Can't remember if you had to use 0-rings on your Meopta or not. However, Meopta lists the ER of the 8x32 Meostar as 15.4 mm.

Steve

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by centershot
I went by the local Sportsman's Warehouse and look at some of the dual hinge 10x42 Mojaves and 10x42 Zeiss Conquest (all they had) - now I know that these are not exactly what we are talking about but, the Zeiss was a much better bino. In features, feel, overall quality and view. I would like to find the 8X32 in each but that is not likely to happen. Unless the 8X32 Mojave is much better than the 10x42 then I think the Zeiss is worth the extra $ for me. I will wait until you guys can actually review the 8x32's side by side and be very interested in your findings.

I don't much care for the x42 or x50 mm Mojave series binoculars either. I like the new 8x32 quite a bit. I will grant the Zeiss will show a better build quality, but for 3x the price it ought to. I've been looking for a good sort of all in one 8x32 and the Conquest is on that list. The Mojave is now on that list too. So is the Kite Lynx 8x30 which probably nobody here ever heard of.

So, you are the one who has to like it. I would be surprised if you don't like it. Whether or not you like it enough for your purposes is another story smile. All I can say is you are going to have to let you tell you which ticks off the checkpoints.

Steve

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Skane,

The Yosemite center hinge issue is an easy fix. Take the tripod adapter cover off of the center hinge. Use either a wide flathead screwdriver or a spammer wrench and tighten. Problem fixed.

The distance from the edge of the exposed ocular glass surface to the outside edge of the rubber eyecup is 3/8th of an inch. Keep in mind that it is contoured differently so it may not be as much of an issue as you think. I just put the two side by side for comparison.

Centershot,

The Mojave 8x32 is an entirely new design. It isn't of the same lineage as the 42 mm models that proceeded it. As I mentioned earlier I will get the chance to compare the Mojave 8x32 to the Zeiss and a few others this upcoming weekend. I will be sure to post my thoughts.

Paradiddle,

I think you would be hard pressed to find a higher performing bino at the mid price point. As was eluded to earlier though, the "fit" of any given binocular is going to vary from person to person. I would have a hard time believing many folks would find fault with the Mojave 8x32 especially considering the relatively inexpensive price tag.

Frank
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I do wear glasses. Any input on a mid range bino, or will these work well?

There is too many variables in individual eyes and the corrective prescriptions those eyes require to make much comment. Too much depends on how close to your eyes are to your eye glass lenses. The closer they are, the less eye relief you will need, and vice versa.

All I can say is that I only need reading glasses and (thank you Lord) I don't need them for anything else. I can get full view with my over the counter reading glasses, which do not seem to sit particularly close to my face. I also can get full field view with a couple of pairs of shooting or fishing glasses. Those seem to set closer to my eyes than those that don't.

SO all I can tell you is to find a way to look at them for yourself. Might call CameralandNy and see if they have somebody at their optics counter who wears glasses you can talk to about the Mojave, or whatever else might work. Getting something that works is a lot more important than what it is or who makes it.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FrankD
Skane,

The Yosemite center hinge issue is an easy fix. Take the tripod adapter cover off of the center hinge. Use either a wide flathead screwdriver or a spammer wrench and tighten. Problem fixed.

The distance from the edge of the exposed ocular glass surface to the outside edge of the rubber eyecup is 3/8th of an inch. Keep in mind that it is contoured differently so it may not be as much of an issue as you think. I just put the two side by side for comparison.

Thanks for the info on fixing the Yo's!
And thanks for measuring the ocular surface. It's likely only a big deal to me but I've never been able to get comfortable with those slabby-type surfaces.

Frank & Steve - thank you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by efw
Steve thank you very much for this. I think I've found my next glass purchase!

Glad you enjoyed it. If you get a set, let it be known what you think smile

Steve

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SteveC99

Can't remember if you had to use 0-rings on your Meopta or not. However, Meopta lists the ER of the 8x32 Meostar as 15.4 mm.

I did add an O-ring gasket to lengthen the ER a bit. I'm anxious to compare the mojave to the euro hd.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Would you really expect them to "feel" the same, given the mojave is less than half the cost?

No - but..........the reviews have been very positive and have me second guessing my choice of the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32. I do think for me the extra $300 is going to be worth it. I have had several - pretty good binos but I am now ready for a really good one.

Update: Just ordered the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 demo from Cameraland....I think I will be satisfied with this one.

Last edited by centershot; 03/11/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by centershot

Update: Just ordered the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 demo from Cameraland....I think I will be satisfied with this one.

Ahh, the power of preconceived notions. smile

That aside if the eye cups don't mess with you you will like them smile .

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I spent some time with a Zeiss 10x32 at a Cabelas a week ago and just can not get them out of my mind - very nice to my eyes and hands. I had no issue with the eye cups but did not get to spend 'lots' of time behind them so time will tell. There are many positive reviews on the net about them as well as a video demonstrating their 'durability' that is pretty interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64FCbtKKqs I seriously doubt it will be the last bino I every buy as I like to try new things every 4 or 5 years or so, that timeframe seems to be when the next big thing comes along anyway. Living in the middle of no where has some draw backs - like having to buy to try, but I'll trade that for uncrowded open spaces and public lands.

Last edited by centershot; 03/12/14.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I posted that video here myself. Yes it is impressive. FWIW, that was a slight yank of your chain on my part. If the eye cup lets you assume proper placement...then there is no doubt you will get along with them just fine. Like I said, they are on my short list too. smile

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I sure wish there was a place within a couple hours where comparing these and a few others was possible, but it just does not exist - so read reviews make my best guess, order from New York and hope for the best. I suppose I'm not exactly married to them and could sell them at a little loss, but I'm hoping my homework will prevent that. At any rate I should know in a few days!

Last edited by centershot; 03/12/14.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.