-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I threatened to get my son a 1984 220 Diesel for his first car. Built like a tank, and 0-60 in 28 seconds. And in a manual, so he would actually need to know how to drive.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep! Parts everywhere, easy to work on, run forever.

And when the knucklehead runs it into a tree, he'll walk away instead of ending up under a rock.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For insurance purposes you need an old clunker insured with just liability insurance with them listed as the primary driver. They can still drive newer better vehicles you own when needed, but you'll save a bundle with 16 year old boys going that route. I've known guys who kept a tag and insurance on a 25 year old car that was rarely driven until their sons turned 25 and insurance rates dropped. My son turned 25 in Sept. and his rates dropped by about 60-70% overnight. He then traded his old clunker for a 2 year old car with full coverage and still saved a bunch on insurance.

I think it matters less exactly which vehicle you buy them to drive. Bad things can happen to any of them. A bigger truck or SUV might be safer in a head on crash, but they also have their weak spots and you cannot predict which type of accident they may be in. Bigger vehicles are harder to maneuver for young drivers and minor fender benders are more common which will increase their insurance rates. My daughter, now 29 and son both started on an ancient Honda.

When my daughter saved enough for her own car I kept the Honda for my son. When he bought his own car I did the same and drove it for a few more years just to save gas in local driving. By the time I got it it had several dings and dents from mistakes. At one point the plastic front bumper cover was duct taped on. But it never left them stranded, gas and insurance were cheap and we never filed an insurance claim to get the minor mistakes fixed.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent advice..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although I will never advocate for a big suv for new drivers..

Overcorrection and rollover are killers for the learners.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yea, I'm now starting to lean towards the honda passport, accord etc. route. Buddy of mine had several stories of honda crashes and they all had no injuries or scratches. One lady was dragged by an 18 wheeler with a child in the back of the car and both came out with out a scratch.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd look for a '90 - '00 Honda Civic or Accord, Geo Prizm, or Toyota Camry or Corolla. They'll run forever, parts are easy to come by, great gas mileage, they're "safe", and are cheap to insure.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by RDW
Single cab mini or mid-size truck with a manual transmission.

It will only hold two passengers at the most.

This!!! A 4 cyl manual ranger will last forever. Can only carry one other passenger and cheap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started my son out in a cheap ford explorer, but it had ABS and air bags. The explorer also had advanced trac auto 4x4 which is nice in the ice and snow. The explorer needed some work when we bought it, which was a good way to start teaching him about cars and maintenance.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd lean towards a vehicle that can take a solid impact, like the car in your first post.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Snyper
Giving a teen aged boy a muscle car is just asking for trouble

Not always.

Nothing is "always", but odds are if you combine a teenaged boy and a car with LOTS of horsepower, it won't turn out well

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getum a used Mercury Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Vic (essentially the same car). You can buy them cheap, 20-22 mpg, and insurance is cheap on them. Your sons will be driving the biggest car on the road, in case of an accident.

My daughter drove 2 while in college and when we got her a Honda Accord, she didnt like it at first, because it didnt ride as good and was too small.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't buy any 'classic' cars, anything domestic, or a truck/suv for a new driver.

Get a toyota or honda four-banger that's good on gas, safe, and cheap to insure. Plus, when they wreck it, that's not if they wreck it that's when they wreck it, you won't lose your a$$ over it.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Snyper
Giving a teen aged boy a muscle car is just asking for trouble

Not always.

But generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Yea, I'm now starting to lean towards the honda passport, accord etc. route. Buddy of mine had several stories of honda crashes and they all had no injuries or scratches. One lady was dragged by an 18 wheeler with a child in the back of the car and both came out with out a scratch.

Cut a few folks out of a few vehicles... The Honda would be fairly high on my list too. If you are considering that vehicle. Thats one that when we roll up and look and think as we are getting out... this ain't gonna be good, but often once you get into the interior to get em out, you are ..... well lets say amazed often, is a good phrase.

Anything that has side curtain airbags is a plus IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.