Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've currently got a heavy 18" barrel for competition, mainly for a smoother recoil impulse and it works fine for what I need. IME in competition an 18" barrel really doesn't give up anything to the shorter barrels on close and fast targets. Actual use in a vehicle and indoors a shorter barrel wins though, IME.

I've seen a guy regularly hit torso sized steel at 400 yards, offhand, with a 16" barrel. So I'm not convinced that an 18" is needed to make an AR useful at 500.

That sounds pretty reasonable from what I have seen. We took Kelly (our engineering intern) and Matt (Production Supervisor) to the range last week. Kelly�s 400yd group (3 shot) is on the right side of the dot and Matt�s is on the left.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TWR
I think the SPR as a whole was abandoned by those that wanted it. They figured a 16" precision gun saved weight and accomplished the same thing.

I have a Noveske SPR and a Noveske 16" light weight built as a Rogue hunter. The 16" weighs a pound less, gives up about 50fps and is just as accurate.

If we give the 18 incher a 50fps advantage at the muzzle it only keeps a 40fps advantage at 500yds (in my thin air). 10 MPH wind drift advantage is less than � MOA.

I also prefer the 16 inch length for the all around AR. It does everything really well.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I've put together a bunch of SPRs and SPR uppers for individuals, as well as run them at various ranges and time constraints.

They are truly an excellent platform, and if I was in a static position such as on an embassy detail, where I knew I was going to be doing mostly roof top shots, I would take it in a heartbeat.

That being said, said for an all around weapon, I find that a 16" gun with match grade tube, free floated barrel/handguard setup and a proper trigger such as a Geissele Dynamic to ideal.

Top it off with a low powered variable such a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 Leupold, or a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 and call it good.

Which buffer is best for an 18" set up?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
TAK, do you know how the BCM comp compares to anything else, specifically the battlecomp? I had trouble on a 16" Middy with the BC overcomping and creating muzzle dip. I wondered if the BCM or Griffin might be a better option.

All I know about the battle comp is what others have said. A friend replaces an A2 comp on his 11.5in gun and said his shot-to-shot splits got a lot faster. Hope that helps. The BCM is a little over half the price of the Battle Comp and it looks like about half as long, if that matters to you.

I am seriously thinking of getting two battle comps. I think the documentary videos on the various websites are convincing. They are saying the noise ain't so bad as compared to others. Did you get any feedback from your friend on the BCM comp????

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I've put together a bunch of SPRs and SPR uppers for individuals, as well as run them at various ranges and time constraints.

They are truly an excellent platform, and if I was in a static position such as on an embassy detail, where I knew I was going to be doing mostly roof top shots, I would take it in a heartbeat.

That being said, said for an all around weapon, I find that a 16" gun with match grade tube, free floated barrel/handguard setup and a proper trigger such as a Geissele Dynamic to ideal.

Top it off with a low powered variable such a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 Leupold, or a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 and call it good.

Which buffer is best for an 18" set up?

H Buffers work well for me. Thats all I use other than one ST-T2 buffer A rifle gas 18" barrel runs smooth with a carbine buffer though.

I just got my 16" setup like I wanetd it. Its exactly the same as my 18", just 2" shorter and with a 1-6.5 optic vs. the NF 2.5-10X42 on the 18". I guess I will see which one gets used more and one may go up for sale.

[Linked Image]
AR-15 16" Rainier Arms Match by wareagle700, on Flickr

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cool picture!

What is the mount for the scope???

Noveske barrel???

Last edited by Robert_White; 03/14/14.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. Its a ADM Recon mount and the barrel is a Rainier Arms Match barrel.

Pic of my 18" for good measure:

[Linked Image]
AR-15 18" Noveske SPR HDR by wareagle700, on Flickr

Last edited by CBMJR; 03/14/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RW, don't buy two until you try one. Some folks just don't like them. They can cause muzzle dip on some guns and some guys decide it's too much for them.

And they're loud. The reviews that call them quiet are comparing them to a real brake, which they are quieter than that, but they're not quiet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And get at least an H buffer. I'm running a VLTOR system but have gone up to an H3 without issue with any ammo I've tried.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RW, don't buy two until you try one. Some folks just don't like them. They can cause muzzle dip on some guns and some guys decide it's too much for them.

And they're loud. The reviews that call them quiet are comparing them to a real brake, which they are quieter than that, but they're not quiet.

What he said.

The Battle Comp annoys me to no end. I get a significant down ward movement and a vibration that is distracting. It is pretty blasty to boot.

The BCM Gunfighter is much flatter shooting for me with no weird vibration and much less blast.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Thanks a million for the feedback, and Mr Burns too. It would seem to me that with an 18" and the just right buffer weight and comp and even perhaps a tune-able gas block you could fine tune the recoil out to next to nothing for spotting your own shots through your own scope and fast follow up.

Thanks again.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can see my hits and misses through the scope on my set up.
18" rifle gas
VLTOR A5H3
Surefire brake

Try an H2 buffer and go from there. If you're really wanting to be serious about eliminating muzzle rise to see your hits skip the battlecomp and get a real brake. The BC is a compromise, which isn't a knock on it-it was designed as a compromise flash hider / brake / not being overly obnoxious.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try the JEC Brake. So far I really like it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
CBMJR

How ya like that vickers sling? I want one or four.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Blue Force Vickers sling is my favorite by far. I have one for each of my AR's.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I can see my hits and misses through the scope on my set up.
18" rifle gas
VLTOR A5H3
Surefire brake

Try an H2 buffer and go from there. If you're really wanting to be serious about eliminating muzzle rise to see your hits skip the battlecomp and get a real brake. The BC is a compromise, which isn't a knock on it-it was designed as a compromise flash hider / brake / not being overly obnoxious.

Trying to do more homework on the subject, but spotting my own shots via my own scope is a dream come true.
The VLTOR A5 system requires a new buffer tube, spring and buffer-weight, all VLTOR only products... correct? I am inclined to get it. All the reviews everywhere I have read are all very positive.

I am wondering what is it that makes the Vltor system mo better? What is the basic premise here?

Thanks for all the feedback.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Try the JEC Brake. So far I really like it.

http://shop.jeccustom.com/Quick-Brake-JEC-QB.htm

This one will turn off/on and accomdate a suppressor install. Looks very interesting.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The rifle extension is smoother than the carbine extension due to spring rates.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
The rifle extension is smoother than the carbine extension due to spring rates.

Also more reliable, IMO. A rifle buffer tube with an A1 stock is a great set up, IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But can you get the compactness for shooting out of a vehicle? smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
More reliable with a 20" barrel combined with a collapsable stock but a properly built carbine is just as reliable as any rifle, in fact the extra gas pressure might even give it a plus in dirty conditions.

When used with a 16" barrel, most will never see any benefit or at least utilize it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,345
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.