Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, an absolute dandy bull!

I'll stick to my lowly 308 Win, but I'm glad the 264 WM is in this world...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Excellent work with an obsolete cartridge!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First things first!

Super Dandy Bull----even if he was suicidal!! laugh laugh

Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I did look up the word obsolete and here are a few more definitions that seem more inline with how I would use the term.

1. No longer in use: an obsolete word.
2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction:

....the author should be should be forced to hunt with a 30-06 (talk about obsolete) for the rest of his life.

I repeat, I don't have anything against the 264 WM.

By definition 1. the 264 is obsolete when COMPARED by the Number of them in use TO the number of other big game cartridges in use.

Clearly the 264 is NOT "outmoded in design, style, or construction" as it varies little from the 7 RM.

My personal use of 'obsolete' is 'outdated'. I might hastily add that many of US are nearing 'outdated'. grin

Whether deserved or not, to many hunters the 264 is obsolete because they've never heard of it nor seen one in the field.

Even since the 264 is not popular nor widely used AND is of an older design, one thing the 264 IS NOT, 'INeffective'!!!!!

Lastly, NO definition of 'obsolete' applies to the 30-06. shocked whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Manufacturers and designers talk about "built-in obsolescence" especially with respect to electronics etc.

Maybe they mean built in unpopularity, and that's what they are trying to achieve as they get people to buy a new mobile phone or 3d TV.

But to my mind its about a product becoming superseded by a superior design, which by nature will encourage consumers to desert their old product and flock to the new one.

To that end I guess I agree with point two of John Burns' definition above ie... 2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.

I can't see where nearly any of the cartridges mentioned in this thread have been superseded because the basic design hasn't changed through the introduction of the later cartridges. They all still have a brass case of similar basic shape and method of ignition, propulsion etc.

In fact these older cartridges have been constantly upgraded by new components like better powders, bullets, loading techniques. In a sense they are a different product than they were when first released.

A 30-06 using a 190g LRAB, using a full charge of R17 is a different beast to that being loaded into magazines of all those Springfield rifles many years ago.

Obsolete, no. As to the 264; unless it has been superseded by a superior product I can't agree that it's obsolete either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

"Unpopular" is EXACTLY what obsolete means. As I noted in an earlier post, the primary definition in an unabridged Webster's dictionary is "no longer in general use."

I did look up the word obsolete and here are a few more definitions that seem more inline with how I would use the term.

1. No longer in use: an obsolete word.
2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.
3. Biology Vestigial or imperfectly developed, especially in comparison with other individuals or related species; not clearly marked or seen; indistinct. Used of an organ or other part of an animal or plant.
tr.v. ob�so�let�ed, ob�so�let�ing, ob�so�letes
To cause to become obsolete.

Now I might have agreed with the term, obsolete, if we were talking about the .270 Win or the .280 Rem. shocked laugh

To label the .264 Win Mag obsolete in any way is simply wrong and the author should be should be forced to hunt with a 30-06 (talk about obsolete) for the rest of his life.

264 Win Mag RULES.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a bitch of a place to get an elk out of.

Me

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
If you think the .264 is obsolete put the barrel on one in your mouth and pull the trigger. Then let us know how you feel about it in a couple hours.

It's a constant source of amusement that some guys get so worked up over someone else's opinion of a particular cartridge.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

I must admit to not reading you last post carefully enough so must amend my comment:

Great job with a vestigial cartridge!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think if a words common meaning is different from the dictionary meaning, then the dictionary definition is obsolete, my point may be moot.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's an excellent point!

Dictionary definitions are at least in part based on common usage, and meanings can change over time. Someday one definition of "like" is going to be "said," as in: "And I'm like, hey where's that guy with the obsolete rifle?"

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"And I'm like, hey where's that guy with the obsolete rifle?"

That gave me my Chuckle Of The Day... Word. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Okay, I had my say. Now everybody can go back to defending the honor of the .264 against cyberspace libel.

I think this sums it up nicely. There are plenty of great cartridges that aren't mainstream by today's standards. I have several: 41 magnum, 264 Win, even the 222 Remington Magnum, which I am singlehandedly trying to resurrect to it's rightful place as a fantastic cartridge.

The virtues of each cartridge or particular firearm in it's original offering, changes from year to year and when the change isn't popular, it doesn't stop the morphisis.

Along with the obsolescence of cartridges is the state of the firearm itself when we see plastic and stainless steel replacing Chrome-moly and Walnut. I will probably be caught in obsolescence for the rest of my life as I can't accept the preferred changes in firearms to stainless/plastic...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks Brad, blind hogs and acorns come to mind. grin

Originally Posted by teal
Looks like a bitch of a place to get an elk out of.

I just had the employees haul it out and even hitched a ride myself. laugh
[Linked Image]

John,

I must admit to not reading you last post carefully enough so must amend my comment:

Great job with a vestigial cartridge!

Vestigial is synonymous with "AWESOME", right???

Holy buckets, I just looked up vestigial and it is even worse, way worse, than obsolete. WTF is up with this crusade by all the Gunwriters to destroy the pinnacle of cartridge development for big game hunting (that would be the .264 Win Mag for those that are late to the party)???????????

All right then JB, I say the B29 is DOUBLE VESTIGIAL. Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot. shocked shocked

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey, the B29 is happy with whatever it can get! Double vestigial mythical would be even better....

Glad you are making .264's. Somebody needs to.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Well that is unfortunate news that the .264 WM is obsolete. I have a new one in the gun room and a flat rate box full of once fired brass I was hoping to play with this spring.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oakster
Well that is unfortunate news that the .264 WM is obsolete. I have a new one in the gun room and a flat rate box full of once fired brass I was hoping to play with this spring.

First of all, why waste your time and effort on an obsolete round. grin

Secondly, all your components won't do you any good since you can't get bullets. frown

Thirdly, so I'll PM you my address and you can send that obsolete rifle/cartridge and components to me. I'll take it off your hands and leave you more room in your safe/storage. whistle

That's the least a fellow loony can do for another! laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mule deer has probably forgotten it entirely, but he wrote a really good article about "semi-wildcats" several years ago. A Semi-wildcat is a factory round that is so hard to find that you have to handload it to get decent (or any) ammo. I'll bet there aren't a hundred .264 shooters who don't handload for it, so it would qualify as a semi-wildcat.

If you have to handload it to use it, it just might be "obsolete." If you have to buy used brass to handload it, it just might be even more obsolete.

If you have to make your brass out of 7 mag . . . then we know for sure it's obsolete.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey, I do vaguely remember that article!

Though it took your reminder to dredge it out of my semi-obsolete memory.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks Brad, blind hogs and acorns come to mind. grin

Nah, just don't need to compensate wink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently found a .264 Pre Garcia Sako for under 800 and the rational side of my brain said you have this covered in your current battery. Now that I am becoming a Sako looney I am kicking myself over it every day. Wonder if they still have it. Bet someone recognized it and swooped in on it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Be sure to borescope the throat.

Just kidding - I think.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 74 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,480
Posts18,471,781
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.