-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As most of ya'll here know, a custom maker will provide whatever finish you need on those handles if the knife is ordered directly from the maker. Many will take a knife of their making bought second hand/elsewhere and texture the handle to suit your needs.

True on the initial order part - and it only took some of us once on the refurb part (and my earlier post was to those who complained the Dozier handles are too slick - and they friggin ARE - even his blasted ones) to figure out it was kinda silly to pay with shipping from $15-$35 for something you can do yourself for $0.20....

Last edited by Journeyman; 05/27/06.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Stick,

His website.....

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/index.htm

Wicked looking filet knives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Appreciate the info men.

I'll be sniffing.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can like his 3.5" B&T.

Anybody have a guess as to how much and how long,factoring S30V and Micarta scales?.............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine took just shy of three months and was just north of two Ben Franklins. Communication was really good - I got a couple of emails and one phone update during that time. Course that was before the last steel price increases, and it goes without saying I can't speak for the man... which leads to:

seamount@bigplanet.com

as an alternate email if you get no joy from the "Contact Us" link on the website...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The internet sure gets smaller all the time. I made the statement above that Bob doesn't do much of the grinding anymore based on a post he'd made recently on BladeForums.

I was browsing the forum on the Dozier Knives website this morning, and reading Bob's comments on the thread MOGC started linking back to this one prompted me to revisit BladeForums and I find I did indeed misstate to some extent Bob's post, which says quote "Dan does most of the grinding on Ar. made knives but we all work in this shop. I grind all the mirror polished knives and the folders." ...

Since I'm only interested in the Arkansas Made Knives my mind must have leapt over the second sentence and I stand corrected - it appears if one wants a knife personally made by Bob (and not that anyone here has said such, it's just sort of a theme with some collectors I know to want the product from the "name" himself) ordering a polished knife or folder would do it...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
That B & T looks mighty tempting!

I find Dozier's knives to be excellent but most are WAY too big. His "Arkansas Traveler" is a completely satisfactory knife and I have one of his "Dozier Personal" (K-28) knives on order.

It is unfortunate that if you order S30V the price skyrockets. But as others have said, he does a good job with his customary D2.

RS

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
JB,
I just e-mailed Seamount to see if we can come up with a mutually pleasing design for my purposes. I'll let the forum know how it goes.
Thanks for the link.
RS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was gonna try to catch him the other side of the weekend and approach him about a deviation of his B&T.

Will try to get him on the horn................

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
From what I've read about him, he sure knows steels. I'd be inclined to take notice of what he recommends.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just picked up a K-4 Straight Hunter friday with ironwood handles. Really nice blade. Bob is a pretty nice fella too. I find his horizontal kydex sheath to be really interesting. Bob explained how he came up with the idea. Saw him at that Atlanta Blade show.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Spent some time this afternoon wandering around the Cobb Centre myself. Bob's knives have really gone up in price of late. The Canoe, my favorite Dozier pattern, is now over $200 in D2. Bob is a nice guy....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was only able to spend about 5 hours at BLADE this year, so I may be way off base, but attendance and sales seemed way down. That said, was still a good time and as usual in the "booth" arena Bob and Chris Reeve were surrounded...though William Henry was getting a lot of attention as well.

Highlight for me was the Cutting Championship where Burt Foster came in second by literally a couple of threads of rope - Burt is [color:"red"]THE [/color] bargain in custom knives right now!!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Links?....................

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
burtfoster.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obliged.....................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think Burt's knives are your thing since he works in carbon steel...I need the properties of a forged blade for some of the chopping and hacking and prying tasks on our ranches and Burt's stuff is kick butt for that. I probably should have said above "Burt is THE bargain in forged custom knives right now!!!!!!" I'll post some pics of the little hunter he made me in differentually heat treated O-1 on another thread as it seems I've diverted this one twice now to Burt and Phil....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last diversion, but will also add in the "THE bargain" category for stock removal guys IME it's still Gene and Geno (Ingram and Denning) by a landslide...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What is the typical price range for Burt Foster's knives? I went to his web site and there are no prices. I have no idea what prices he charges.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a price list from last December with most of the kniives on the site pictured and the prices run from $175 to $2900...should span most folks' budgets...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.