L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by les7mm
charlesdaily is a fine gun

They are, but IIRC, KCI went out of business; so no warranty and spare parts may be hard to come by.

Samco Global is now the distributor for the Akkar shotguns, which made the Charles Dalys. Samco will sell the parts for a Charles Daly, but they seem to order small lots and there is a wait time.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting.....didn't know that, thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The weakness of the Charles Dalys was the pot metal locking block. I have a friend's 12 gauge auto in the safe waiting for the next shipment of forged locking blocks to arrive. My pump has been flawless, but the autos seem prone to break that one part. The guy from Samco that I talked to said Charles Daly demanded a certain price point on the guns and Akkar cheapened some parts to meet that price, hence the breakage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using Mossbergs in various flavors for years. I currently have 2 - an older M9200 I bought the first year they came out, and a recently acquired 935. The 935 is heavier but groups better than the 9200. Admittedly, I don't shoot either of them alot, although I've killed a bunch of turkey's with the 9200.

My current 935 was bought used for something like $350 and is the all black version. With a Carlson tube and 3" Hevi-shot 6's, it throws a great pattern. I consider it an honest 50 yard gun if the need arises. I bought it for the 3.5" capability but discovered with Hevi-shot, you don't need the punishment of the 3.5" shell. The worst kicking gun on the planet is an 835 with a 3.5" shell. I bought one when they first came out. It killed out both ends. I like light guns but no so much when shooting baby mortars.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got a pawn shop 870 Magnum, with a camo tape on job, Hastings barrel, .665 choke. Gun was 150, barrel 200, fact that it was my pa's, priceless. Ol Osceola sho b scared of that rig

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
870. Jellyhead or black diamond choke.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I never understood why somebody would want to spend more than $500 on a turkey gun. You're gonna carry them a lot and shoot them a little so as long as they are light maneuverable and go off every time you pull the trigger anything else is really irrelevant

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
870 for me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best is a matter of opinion. This is my 870 super mag.

[Linked Image]

And THIS is my other favorite. It is a New England Firearms (H&R) 10 ga. Both shotguns have Kicks Gobblin' Thunder choke tubes. I'd rather carry the 10 ga single personally. Spring hunting rarely requires a second shot. BOTH WAY UNDER $500.00

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Longbeard King, you need to change your name. That's 3 jakes. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's what your looking for.
Just kidding brother. Any bird is a good bird

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by m_gallopavo
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Guys, if you keep shots within 40 yards - you owe it to yourself to try #7 Hevi Shot. It smashes turkeys!

I wouldn't pay upwards of $5 a shell for something that I had to keep my shots within 40 yards. Any modern 12 gauge with a turkey choke should be able to kill a turkey every time inside 40 with lead 5's or 6's.
I'm not an advocate of shooting turkeys at long distances. I like for them to be right around or just inside the 30 yard mark. If they get much closer than that a lot of stuff can start to go wrong.
That being said, if I'm on a wide open bench in the mountain or a river swamp where you can clearly see 100 yards plus thru the woods and one hangs up at 47-48 yards cause he can't see a hen he's coming home with me anyway.
I don't want to step in here and start a war but #7 hevi actually has less energy than a lead 6, especially when launched at the low velocities that hevi-13 loads them at.
To each his own though, I know some real turkey killers that absolutely swear by them, they just aren't for me.

Ummm, not so much. Plus factor in that with the hevi 7s you have two to three times as many pellets on target, the 7s have a much smaller surface area, and they are hard like steel, not soft like lead. When they hit something they don't flatten out or deform, they penetrate like crazy. I've zipped hevi 7s clean through the top part of a breast of a big gobbler that was between 40 and 45 yards, broken wings with a stray pellet, and shot another flying away from me that my buddy had rolled, at well past 50. It hit the ground stone dead. I don't purposely advocate shooting at birds past 40 yards, but inside 40 or out, hevi 7s will kick leads butt every time.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mossberg 835 20" barrel 3.5" 12ga with x-factor choke. I've never pulled the trigger and watched a bird get away. They always drop right there, sometimes headless, sometimes 2 cobblers with one trigger pull. Great looking super tough camo finish, easy handling short barrel, bright fiber optic front and rear sights. Bought it lightly used for $225.00

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Longbeard King, you need to change your name. That's 3 jakes. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's what your looking for.
Just kidding brother. Any bird is a good bird

You remind me of my SON............. He calls me "jake wakka" grin grin When you BOTH get to be my age, you'll understand. I do NOT practice "catch and release", if it's brown, it's down, (can't eat antlers) and if a bird comes to my call, I play the game and attempt to kill it................No offense. Remarks add to the fun............. smile smile

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you don't mind used, and can find one, the old Winchester 1300 N.W.T.F. guns [with the laminate stocks] are nice. Pretty to look at, and the 'Turkey' barrels are back bored. My buddy has the grey laminate, I have the spring laminate, and both shoot well. He uses and old .640" Hastings, I have a .640" Carlson's Card Shooter, we both shoot plain 3" lead #6's. Kills birds dead out to 40 yards. He has made a few miracle shots, I think his longest was 50-something yards.

I believe I picked mine up a few years ago for $3- or 350. They seem to be getting rare these days.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used a Winchester 1300 camo turkey gun for about 15 years. It has a 21 inch barrel with factory rifle sights. I have tried a few choke tubes and settled on a Truglo Strut Stopper. The gun is light and the shortness is nice when pointing at an incoming gobbler. I especially like the rifle sights. They make you keep your head down on the stock.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
NEF single shot--- I have both 12ga. tube and 20ga. tube-- interchange in minutes --20 ga with proper shot is easy a 40 yd killer. Survivor Stock and rattle can spaghetti cammo [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Walmart carries the 870SM dipped in RT HDWDs with their newer light weight stock and forearm for $347. Something along these lines:

Camo 870SM $347
Patriot Sear Spring $10
Tru Glo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot sights $40
Primos Jelly Head .660 choke $40
Claw sling $25

That beats your budget and will be a stone cold killer.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
20ga 870'd the heck out of this one last spring.
][Linked Image]

same gun, 2 springs ago.
[Linked Image]

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a lightly used Marlin 120 12 GA. 3" several years ago. I was shooting a $2000 o/u and was tired of being too careful with it. Camo taping each season was also a pia. The barrel on the Marlin only had one choke tube and it was full so I took it out and patterned it, and finding that to be good, I camo painted it with flat spray paint in earth tone colors. If I remember correctly that Marlin was $160 then. Probably $200 now. Works good for me but if I were to buy new- It would be an 870.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How about a 200 dollar beater and a rattle can paint job..

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 60 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.