Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Funny you should mention rolling blocks, because my son picked up a number 4 in the nearly obsolete 32 Rim fire (OK, Obsolete), I saw the articles and web info on shooting it as a 32 RF, but that was a PITA too. I have beefed up the Screws and re-chambered it in 32 S&W Long, which may be obsolete too, but my local gun store had four choices of ammo for that chambering.

I think in general the percentage of 264 still used for game is as high as most cartridges, like I said in the beginning, some of the best Western big game hunters I know won't leave home without theirs.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might have to do a local survey, but in the 24 years since we moved to this area of southwestern Montana (about an hour from where I grew up) I've only run into two .264's users. Well, three if you count me--and I bought my first .264 from one of the other guys!

I do KNOW, however, that the .264 has made something of a comeback in the past decade. Published my first article on it for HANDLOADER in 2005, when there was very little current handloading data, and none with newer, more appropriate powders--so literally had to work up my own loads, using a combination of case-head expansion and chronograph results.

After buying my Ruger I found a LOT of current data, with far more powders, and only a year after doing a write-up on all of that, find even more data available. Plus, my Ruger has a 1-8 twist, considered much more appropriate for 6.5mm rounds these days. No doubt Ruger used that twist because they were also using it in the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it's also an indication of increasing popularity.

Though I doubt the 6.5's have increased significantly in popularity among most hunters, who still buy a lot of .243's, 25-06's, .270's. .30-06's and .300 Winchester Magnums. A lot of rifle loonies have a somewhat skewed view of what's popular, since we spend so much of our time among other rifle loonies!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CCCC,
Notice that none of the definitions you list means "extinct," which is what others apparently think is the meaning of "obsolete"--including, it would seem, you. - - -
Mule Deer, I understand your nice reply - but - you "seem" incorrectly. I provided sensible definitions and never saw obsolete to mean "extinct", or would have said so.

Glad you find it amusing that I'm defending the article, - -
Said I found your defense of him odd, and even humorous - but no amusement here.

Carry on - looking forward to more of your good work

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.264 Win Mags are still sought after in our part of the world. The original pre-64 Westerners are especially prized. So far, all of the new Model 70 EWs that have made it this far south and west have been .264 Win Mags. All that I have heard about were actually spoken for before the LGS got them in their hands.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not a writer!

One of my past gun regrets is sending an early Browning Safari (long extractor) in .264, down the road because of muzzle blast from the 22" barrel. It was accurate, but a 24" or even a 26" tube would have been much better for noise and velocity. In retrospect, I should have just had a longer factory contour barrel fitted. I suppose in those days, I was into more of the collector mentality than I am today.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thinking about this I can recall one old timer from Durango who used a 264 for much of his hunting in North America and Africa. This was back in 1979-1980;the next guy I bumped into was John Burns,and the third is an old pal of mine who happens to like pre 64 Winchesters,owned one, and has hunted with it a few times.

I have owned 3 that I recall and took one to Alberta. Other than this activity,I can't recall any other 264 users. I suspect the popularity of long range shooting/hunting has a lot to do with the minor resurgence.But still it isn't a cartridge that pops up very frequently the places I have hunted.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gonna have to start prowling Web for a '59 Westerner, I guess. Though an EW .264 WM don't sound bad. Shame Tikka don't make a T3! Sorry for the blasphemy.

P.S. Sure hope all faithful here have read Hunter's Pale Horse Coming. Many icons squeezing rounds in that one...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well for my part among Southern hunters....

I began center fire deer hunting in 1972 and have hunted Ar. La. Miss. & Al.

All together of the hunters and handloaders I've met there is a TOTAL on ONE (1) person who had a 264 WM. He also is one of many I introduced and got him involved on handloading.

That says something on the popularity/obsolence of the 264 WM.

Personally I have not one thing against the cartridge.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here I must note that if the .264 was in "general use," then rifle loonies wouldn't get all excited about ordering one from a limited run. Instead they'd just buy one off the rack of a local store, like they can with .270 Winchester's and 7mm Remington Magnums.

From what I've gathered about the early history of the .264, it sold pretty well until the 7mm RM appeared in 1962, and then stopped dead--as did the .280 Remington.

Hunters who weren't around then can't imagine what a phenomenon the "Seven Em Em" was in those days. Take the early craze over the .300 WSM, multiply it 10 times, then extend it for a decade, and you might have some idea.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The fact that when the 264 win mag came out the gun writers of the day dubbed it a barrel burner and tha turned a lot of prospective buyers off and of course the 7mm arrived and it's fate was sealed.

I have not read the entire thread and this may have been mentioned previously.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There were also reports that the factory ammo didn't get the advertised velocities--though my old Speer #6 manual contains chronograph tests they did with a lot of factory ammo, and the Winchester 140's came reasonably close. I've also found it close in the .two .264's I've owned. (The 100-grain load didn't come anywhere near specs in the Speer test, and was discontinued a number of years ago.) Many powders of the day weren't particular good for top velocities, consistent velocities in varying temperatures, or long barrel life.

No doubt much of the recent modest rebirth of the .264 is due to newer powders and better long-range bullets, especially in 6.5mm, the current favorite among many long-range shooters. Which is why I did the testing for my second HANDLOADER .264 article with target and higher-BC hunting bullets.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 45-70 hasn't become obsolete, so I'd say the .264 Magnum isn't about to hit the museum just yet.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here I must note that if the .264 was in "general use," then rifle loonies wouldn't get all excited about ordering one from a limited run. Instead they'd just buy one off the rack of a local store, like they can with .270 Winchester's and 7mm Remington Magnums.

From what I've gathered about the early history of the .264, it sold pretty well until the 7mm RM appeared in 1962, and then stopped dead--as did the .280 Remington.

Hunters who weren't around then can't imagine what a phenomenon the "Seven Em Em" was in those days. Take the early craze over the .300 WSM, multiply it 10 times, then extend it for a decade, and you might have some idea.

Looking back on that time, what percentage of 7 mags would you guess are present today resultant from that nonsense?

What would you project will be left of the WSM/WSSMs in thirty years?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think the OP doesn't know the difference between unpopular and ineffective.

The .264 is certainly still effective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If "obsolete" is synonymous with "Best Big Game Cartridge Ever" then I guess I would agree with the author. grin

When we balance delivered killing power and recoil the .264 Win Mag/140ge VLD stands at the top of the heap. The 7mm Rem Mag is a close second. wink

A few .264 Win Mag picts just for fun.

A 400yd Muley and 980yd Bull.

[Linked Image]

Same rifle with a 150yd Whitey:

[Linked Image]

Near to far the .264 Win Mag is "The Best Big Game Cartridge Ever" laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
The 45-70 hasn't become obsolete, so I'd say the .264 Magnum isn't about to hit the museum just yet.

I'm guessing here but.....

I think the 45-70 is more popular and used than the 264. ??

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Uhhh, can you say 'prejudiced'?? grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Odd you should bring up the .43 Egyptian. I almost caved the other day when a Rolling Block .43 Spanish showed up on the used rack at a local store, in good shape with a very shiny bore. But which .43 Spanish cartridge is it chambered in, and which version is the most obsolete? I'm not put off by having to jump through some hoops to handload some older cartridge, but after some research this one looked like more of PITA than it was worth.

My first center-fire rifle was a 7X57mm rolling block I ordered from Golden State Arms in 1956 for $7.97 plus shipping (about $3). It was in crummy shape with all the grease/cosmoline spread on it. I spent many pleasant hours cleaning it and re-finishing the stock and fore-end with tung oil. The barrel exterior is pitted (none of these South American rifles were very well cared for) but the bore is pristine.

I take it to the range 3-4 time a year and it takes me back 55 years! Lots of fun!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB, I enjoyed your post and those photos of the good-looking game you bagged - at some distances - with that .264WM. Can't quite figure how a guy can do that with a cartridge so obsolete. Maybe you could write and explain that to the gun writer who made the declaration.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Uhhh, can you say 'prejudiced'?? grin grin

Is "prejudiced" synonymous with "unbiased". grin grin

Originally Posted by CCCC
JB, I enjoyed your post and those photos of the good-looking game you bagged - at some distances - with that .264WM. Can't quite figure how a guy can do that with a cartridge so obsolete. Maybe you could write and explain that to the gun writer who made the declaration.

Well I didn't do the shooting, just saw the results.

I did kill a little bull this year at an even 1000yds with the .264 Win Mag. Glad the bull never read that the ol .264 Win Mag was obsolete or he might have decided not to die. grin

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (308ld, 35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 5 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.