Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have decided to alert a couple of my regular "pushers" to be on the look out for an older Sako. Ricky Ticky or Vixen, no matter, if the price is right.

Thanks, jack.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I've been down and around this rabbit hole myself. I own a custom vixen, custom zastava, and a (1-9) re-barreled CZ. The short answer is get a Montana. I still kick myself for not buying one a few months back that was in a local shop. I wish I'd bought one years ago instead of trying to build one from something else.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can it get any better than a sako vixen?..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Can it get any better than a sako vixen?..

I'd put money on a Cooper Model 51....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sorry I have a cooper and I prefer sako... Tho it is A very very close second...

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To be more specific the safety and whole trigger mechanism on the cooper is kinda chesy compared to the bullet proof sako.. I have seen some trouble wit them and broken firing pins..

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Called the pushers today, now the wait. Riihimaki or vixen. Used, sporter weight. Even Garcia is ok. They will find one. R

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Who are the pushers?

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
A couple of gun shop owners. I call them pushers because guns are addictive as dope. At least to my weak state of resistance. Actually they are both good guys, rarely screw me without foreplay, and sometimes find a decent deal for my wants.

Jack

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sako's are awesome. Also REALLY like this rifle, although I don't use it much. Krico 600 something. Double triggers, petite action size, man sized length but petite in the wrist with a palmswell and slim forearm. A real slender feeling rifle with GREAT trigger feel, and excellent accuracy with factory Hornady ammo. Never measured twist...

[Linked Image]

That's a sweet little rifle..where and when was it made...Germany?

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Interarms Mini Mauser in 223 would be worth a look

That's what I was thinking. Maybe send it off for a new fast twist barrel. That's what I did and the project got out of hand real quick wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
To be more specific the safety and whole trigger mechanism on the cooper is kinda chesy compared to the bullet proof sako.. I have seen some trouble wit them and broken firing pins..

Please elaborate...?

I own a good handful of Coopers and have never had a problem with one.

Closest one I have to what this thread is looking for would be a M21 Jackson Varminter in TAC20.

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OP, these come along quite often though the stainless and synthetic may not be to your liking.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=397325305

They are lightweight, compact and easy to carry and point and can typically be had for $850.00 to $950.00.

Most everyone I have heard speak of them seem to be well pleased with performance including myself and many here on the Fire.

Rem stopped producing them around 2007 I think but they show up pretty regularly on GB.

Good Luck.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The CZ is a good suggestion but for an out of the box shooter I would go Tikka in a heartbeat. So what if the action is a bit longer, the rifle itself is a very light rifle, they shoot well right out of the box. All that is needed is to add a scope and go shoot. Not only that but by careful shopping they can be picked up for around $500 - quite a bargain for something that works as well as they do.

I too am curious about this statement concerning Coopers -

Originally Posted By: rainierrifleco

Would you care to expound on this? I have shot Coopers since the first year they were introduced, have owned, and still own, quite a few. Between myself, friends who have them, and numerous other folks I know throughout the country who own them I am unaware of these issues.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
jt402 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
As said, the mini Mauser is tempting. I can smooth the action and finish the wood myself.

I have asked two dealers to find a used Sako. I will give them some time.,

New, there is not much difference in price between Cooper and the Sako Hunter. I don't see where Cooper does a light weight Sporter, and the price difference compared to Sako is negligible. Besides, between the two, Sako is my choice. In the days that I hunted with a new rig every year ( or even more often) I never had a complaint about Sako, other than weight on their long actions.

Thanks to all for your input.

Jack

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jt402
As said, the mini Mauser is tempting. I can smooth the action and finish the wood myself.

I have asked two dealers to find a used Sako. I will give them some time.,

New, there is not much difference in price between Cooper and the Sako Hunter. I don't see where Cooper does a light weight Sporter, and the price difference compared to Sako is negligible. Besides, between the two, Sako is my choice. In the days that I hunted with a new rig every year ( or even more often) I never had a complaint about Sako, other than weight on their long actions.

Thanks to all for your input.

Jack

Remember that a new Sako will have their new funky recoil lug system, not the integral lug action of the older models. Some people complain about their new system but from everything I've seen, they do still shoot well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.