Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
As far as the 460 and 44 mag go Clark's Custom lists a 230g 45 at 1350 FPS and a 255 hard cast FN at 1300. That is definitely in the relm of factory 44 mag and maybe a little faster.

facepalm.

My 44mag loads...
240gr Nosler JSP @ 1500fps
262gr hardcast @ 1400fps
300gr XTP's @ 1275fps.

Oh yes, faster and more powerful than a magnum handgun. Facepalm indeed.

...on earth as it is in Texas.
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What barrel length?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The .460 I shot was "Comped" but it sure did not help me with the recoil!
I believe was talking about the 460 Rowland.

I agree with you about second shot recovery with an X-frame Smith. I've had both the 500 and 460, and they are a handful.

I don't really know if my Rowland or my Glock 20 recoil more. The Rowland is comp'ed and it's throwing a heavier bullet faster, so it's not apples to apples. I do know that either are manageable and I would not feel under-armed with either one.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TXpitdog
As far as the 460 and 44 mag go Clark's Custom lists a 230g 45 at 1350 FPS and a 255 hard cast FN at 1300. That is definitely in the relm of factory 44 mag and maybe a little faster.

facepalm.

My 44mag loads...
240gr Nosler JSP @ 1500fps
262gr hardcast @ 1400fps
300gr XTP's @ 1275fps.

Oh yes, faster and more powerful than a magnum handgun. Facepalm indeed.

Your loads or factory?

B
B
Always remember, Dirty Harry said that the .44 magnum was the most powerful handgun "in the world". I have a .45 acp, and a .44 magnum. The .45 auto is and never will be compared to the .44 magnum. If you are facing an angry momma brown bear, which one would you wish you had in your hand ??? A .44 mag. 300 grain hard cast bullet moving at 1212 fps is equal to the task with a good head shot.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just A Hunter,

Take a look at the 45 Super... same size case as the 45 acp, with this set up you can shoot 45 acp or 45 super (without changing out the recoil spring!), BUT keep your brass segregated, I do this by marking the base of 45 Super with a permanent black marker and by only using WFN cast lead for the Super. If you bungle it up and shoot a 45 Super in a gun that does not have the heavy recoil spring or in a barrel that does not have adequate chamber support or load it in acp brass you are courting serious trouble! The beauty of the Rowland is it's case is too long to chamber in a 45 acp, avoiding the problem of a mix up! I went the 45 Super route in my G21.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 02/02/13.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone has their own opinion. My vote would be a 10mm for both the trail and town. The 10 gives you more capacity than a 45 and is very powerful to boot. Carry a factory load like the WW 175gr STHP and you have a controllable self defense round with more juice than any 45 ACP. Switch to a mild 180gr FMJ and you can shoot 40 S&W power level loads at the range or in a match. Put some top hand loads or Underwoods factory ammo for the trail and you have full power. All this happens with the swap of a magazine. Same holsters, springs, gun, etc.

There is NOTHING wrong with the 45. If wanted to carry a 45, I would look into a 45 Super conversion before a Rowland. If I wanted Rowland power, I would probably just carry a 44 Mag and be done with it.

Q
Q
Mine is a Glock 21 with Lonewolf barrel reamed for the .460 with 24lb RSA. With this barrel and same magazines: any hot .45 load, plus the .460.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Really think you can safely add a few parts to a 1911, .45 ACP and get .44 Mag ballistics ? At 10mm pressures ? Anyone remember how well the 10mm tore up guns when it was first introduced ?
Good luck with that. E

Uhh, YES, because the guys at Clark Custom say so. Those guys know what they are doing.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why was this 2 year old thread resurrected?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I never bother with the little extra deep reaming for the 460R chamber. I use use any old 45acp brass.

I have been going way past 460 Rowland loads and it works fine.

I have been shooting 10mm for some time and it sucks compared to a hot 45acp.

In the end, both can make more recoil that the practical slide mass - recoil spring product can handle. Just 45 can make a lot more and makes a bigger hole.

Aren�t you the same guy who said you�re getting 1200fps with a 158gr bullet in a .380?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 10 mm sucks compared to a hot 45 acp...... Now that is funny... The 10mm will outperform the .45 acp any day and twice on sunday... 10mm can be effective for bear protection. The 45 acp sucks for bear protection....

1 and done
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Does lone wolf supply the 24 pound rsa? With a hot 45 cal 185 grain barnes bullet from the 45 ACP I wonder if it would kill a deer.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
What do you think of the two and which would you rather have have and why.

460 Upside. As I see it the 460 is more powerful and is an easy upgrade on the 1911 style pistols Clarks Custom recommends. Cost is $295. I have one of the 1911 they recommend for the conversion. Can use 45 ACP dies. As it is comped the 460 may be easier to shoot, but I don't know.

460 Downside. Ammo availability is not as good as the 10mm and no high cap guns if I am reading Clarks info correctly. They specifically mention Para Ordinance due to no longer making a ramped barrel.

10mm Upside. More pistols of different styles available. Several are high cap. Better availability of ammo.

Downside. Less powerful than the 460. Need new set of dies.
New gun cost $450 and up.

Did I miss anything?

--------------------------------------------------------------

No comparison, aint a fair fight, go 45 Super with an all steel 5" 1911 and run a 26# recoil spring and load in 45 Super brass, you're there.

I run 230 gr FMJ-FP's to an easy 1250 fps in my Springfield.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jimmy,

You're talking lone wolf so I assume you are using a Glock G21? Without going back through all the pages to see where you are coming from; If you wan't to go 45 Super you need a 22 or 24 pound spring, lone wolff has them and the recoil spring guide (let them know if it is a Gen4 as you will need an adaptor for the recoil spring guide). You also need a barrel that has more support than the Glock G21's, and 45 Super brass. I had to play with the magazine springs to get mine to feed 100%, some folks don't. I've read of some Guy's doing 45 Super loads with the Glock barrels but this I feel is a Really bad idea... you're courting trouble.

I've got my G21 finally running 45 Super loads; with no feed failures, the sights hitting to point of aim, etc. and i feel it was more of a quest than a plug and play like I believe the Glock G20 10mm is!

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 03/19/13.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I like the 10mm a lot, a bud has IIRC a Nighthawk 10mm, that sombuck is a total class top shelf sweetheart, even my old bud said WOW after finishing 11 rounds from my 45 Super. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 10mm has the advantage of readily available off the shelf ammo, but it�s not like you�re going to find 10mm in every ammo outpost in America. If you have your extractor tuned right, you can shoot .40 S&W in a pinch, but don�t expect reliability to be great, and it�s not a real good habit to get into�but it can be done. As a hunting cartridge, I consider the 10mm to be more akin to .357 magnum in power than the .41 magnum. Still, it is capable of harvesting medium sized game out to 50 yards or slightly beyond. I personally wouldn�t want to shoot any game much farther than that, but others may feel comfortable.

The .460 Rowland is a very specialized round. I haven�t seen any Rowland conversions that don�t have a compensator, which tells me that shooting Rowland without the comp will probably beat your 1911 into submission pretty soon without the comp. With 250 grain bullets, providing they feed the .460 rowland becomes appropriate for larger game or medium game at extended distances. I really think the Rowland is just in another class than the 10mm. But it�s not something you�re going to find on the shelves pretty much anywhere. But I believe you can shoot a .45 ACP in a Rowland gun in a pinch if you found yourself in a desperate situation.

I see these guns as the �ultimate carry gun� sort of category. A gun you can carry for defense, but you can hunt with also in a pinch should you desire. I can�t see me ever choosing either as a dedicated hunting handgun, but some others may.

The .45 Super is the really cool cartridge in my opinion. The slick setup is to have the link taken slightly over center, but I don�t think that would be a real good idea on an aluminum frame gun�actually, I don�t think .45 Super is a real great idea on an aluminum frame gun. On a steel gun, the over-center link is probably THE way to go. JWP475 has a smith who knows how to setup a 1911 that way. I�ve never done it, never even put any thought into it, so I really don�t know how it�s done; would love to learn. Still, you can safely shoot .45 super with nothing but a stiff recoil spring, and stiffer firing pin spring. It will be a bit harder on your gun, but other than JWP, I don�t know many folks who shoot a high volume of .45 Super out of their guns. Most choose .45 ACP for daily carry, and the Super for when they�re out in the woods. I consider the .45 Super to be in about the same class as the 10mm as far as game that you can cleanly take with it. The real advantage is that you can shoot .45 ACP out of the same gun, with no modifications. A 20-24lb recoil spring typically will still function factory .45 ACP, but it won�t throw the brass too far.

T
T
I have been a gunsmith for almost 35 years. Decided to try converting my Para Ordnance .45 to .45 Super. A slightly heavier recoil spring did the trick. Next I decided to add a compensator. That made the gun much more controllable. The next step? Going to .460 Rowland. Heard alot about why it shouldn't work in the PO, but after putting in a 22# spring, full length guide rod, with last stage recoil spring, I now have a gun that uses a two stage recoil setup, with the smaller spring coming in toward the end of the cycle. That keeps the slide from slamming the frame. Since the barrel is ramped, I have had no problems with distortion, swelling, pierced primers, or anything else. I decided to try cutting down the .460 brass, and using the old barrel with the compensator. I have safely run 160 gr, HPs at 1600 fps with no problems. The recoil is less than full house .45. Then I tried 185 gr @ 1500 fps. Again, no problems. I did this for all loads, including standard hard ball, low pressure. It has all worked great, with no signs of stress at this time, having run several hundred rounds of .460 through it. Accuracy is as good as with standard loads. It is loud, as can be expected, but I have found that I can switch loads (from .45 to .460)without changing anything else, thanks to the heavier recoil spring and the secondary spring in the guide rod. The ramped barrel, in my opinion, is the safest way to go when loading for the .460. Too bad there is so much resistance to using the PO for this type of conversion. Cycling is consistent, no stovepipes, failures to eject or extract, or primer damage. As far as use of the .460, It is used primarily for horseback riding in wilderness areas. Otherwise, I refer back to the .45 Super, which I am very fond of. Again, in my opinion, the .460 is vastly superior to the 10mm, as it can be shot with anything from 160 gr to 255 gr. Speed is greater, it is almost as flat shooting, (not quite, there is a very slight variation in drop due to the greater diameter of the .45. But, out to 75 yards, I can see no discernible difference.
I will say that in heavier bullet loads, it would be much better to go with the .44 mag.

T
T
In stock configuration, the 10 is somewhat better than the .45. However, ballistically speaking, once you get supersonic with the .45, it hits harder, with a bigger wound channel. I don't see a 10mm at 180 grains (about 1200 fps), going head to head with a .45 super at 185 gr., and 1300 fps. The 10 does however, smoke the stock .45

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The slick setup is to have the link taken slightly over center, but I don�t think that would be a real good idea on an aluminum frame gun�actually, I don�t think .45 Super is a real great idea on an aluminum frame gun. On a steel gun, the over-center link is probably THE way to go. JWP475 has a smith who knows how to setup a 1911 that way.
It was my understanding he had Huntington do that for his Rowland. Maybe for a Super too. Relying on memory here, and that is getting more dangerous all the time. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.