Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I grew up in the mountains but never bought expensive boots because we never had the money. Now I am a flatlander in NC. I was hit by a car this year and now have half Ti half shattered lower right leg. The PT says I am almost ready to do some weight bearing work but the only way to do yard work or even think of hunting this fall is to get a good pair of upper calf mountain boots. I am thinking Danners used to be good but Haven't really paid much attention since we have been here in NC for 7 years. One twisted ankle though could really mess me up now. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Looking for something I can wear for decades or years anyway.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Whites loggers.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WESCO will still build you a custom, made to fit you boot the way you want it .

http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/info.asp

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like the Danners. I've got a pair that are 10 years old. They need to be re-soled but are otherwise in good shape. Little on the heavy side, but think they give very good ankle support. Pricy, but they will definitely last for sure.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gremcat;
I'm sorry to read about your MVA and hope that you're on the mend now.

While I've still seen good things in the US made Danner boots, their Ft. Lewis is about the tallest I believe and it's 10".

I've had good luck with 11" tall Meindl Canada Pro boots for hunting here in the mountains, but they're quite stiff and took a fair bit to break in.

As well as the Whites boots which are made just south of us in Spokane, up here the Viberg line of boots are well thought of.

Here's a link for them.
http://workboot.com/collections/logger

If possible it's best to try on as many boots as possible, though I realize trying on custom ones might be next to impossible to do.

Hopefully you find something that gives you a decent fit along with the support you need. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks guys the worst part was I wasn't driving. I actually went out for a walk and got hit in a crosswalk by a lady with no insurance. My insurance will cover some of my costs thankfully and my employer is paying me full salary during recovery so I am very fortunate. I have ( when all things are normal ) tree trunks for calves and most boots tend to be too tight or rub badly in this area. I will probably get thick socks to go over the top of the boot but here in NC it can get well over 100 with 80 percent humidity so this will be kind of miserable in the summer. Still the best option probably. There is a higher end outfitter here or at least they sell higher end clothing like sleeping indian and King of the Mountain. As well as most Euro optics. I may see what they have to try on. If not I will try and go with the most recommended I guess. It is hard to know what to order if going custom because I have never had a pair before.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
A lot of these boots have a higher heel is that normal and comfortable in a climbers boot? Being in the south it is a popular look and my PT told me it may be more comfortable to have a higher heel but I have never seen any on climbing boots or work boots so it looks odd.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I like the Danner Canadian's but they are insulated and maybe to warm for here. I was looking at the Meindl Super Perfekt. Does anyone have experience with them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gremcat;
I've no experience with the Meindl Super Perfekt, but looking at a photo of them they don't seem to be too tall a boot to my eyes.

Here's a shot of the two main boots I'm using these days, some older Danner Hood Winter Lights that have been resoled and the Meindl Canada Pro's I mentioned earlier.
[Linked Image]

Please note that the Danner boots are sold as an 8" height and the Meindl are 11" to the top.

The Meindl boots took much longer to break in, but I feel offer much more support in uneven terrain.

Oh, please disregard the Shoe Goo on the toes of the Meindl, I'm experimenting with reinforcing the toe area with it.

Anyway sir, hopefully the photos can give you a bit of reference as far as boot height goes. They are size 8� as well which might help with size referencing.

Good luck on your boot purchase whichever way you decide sir.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have bad ankles and have been using Kennetrec Mountain Extreme uninsulated boots for the last year and have found them to work very well for me. They are expensive but at least I can walk pain free most of the time. IMO they are much better than the Danners I also have.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I still would go with a logger style boot for the support you are looking for. Double H or Whites. I have Whites now and will probably go back to Double H if and when this pair dies.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He asked this in the backpacking section too. My vote is the Danner Super rain forest GTX- 10". perfect for his application.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I started in backpacking thinking that was the best forum but didn't get a lot of response initially so moved here. Dwayne, thanks for the photo reference. I think I liked that they where leather lined which I think is what I want. I also looked at the Danner Super RF. For some reason I looked past them maybe the liner looked heavy? I need to find someone local to at least try some of them on. When my legs aren't mangled if they go back to 90 percent I have very big feet and very large calves which make boots tough because they are either to loose in the toe or to tight in the calf. Maybe White's or one of the other custom boot makers is the way to go. That way I can send them measurements and get a boot made to my size exactly.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Now I see why the Danner SRF looked exactly like what I wanted but they didn't have leather lining they have Goretex. A lot of my Goretex boots get wear holes in them in a few years so I was trying to avoid it and go with leather interior. The longest lasting walking shoes I have are leather outer pigskin inner lining and going on ten years strong and still as comfortable as it gets. Maybe because the boots I have were cheaper work boots it would be different in these.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I like the white un-insulated hunter but with a dress boot finish so I can wear them at work wonder if they can make me a hybrid boot that way I can wear them in the office too.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Or maybe I will have to go with a pair of each. I just need to figure out if the heel would be comfortable. I know I live in the south but I don't own cowboy boots believe it or not and never had shoes with a high heel like the White's. Would hate to buy them for what they are probably charging and have them not be comfortable. Does anyone use these in the mountains? Are the higher arch/heel less steady?

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Also the therapist recommended wearing a higher heal for my particular issues just for comfort but recommended not all the time because the muscle wouldn't heal right. So maybe the White's are the best for my needs.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Whites are the answer. Send them your foot measurements and have them made to fit you. Admittedly the break-in period is a bit extensive but once past that they are like a pair of tennis shoes. Another plus is that they can be rebuilt, by Whites, at a very reasonable price.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
gremcat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Just found on White's site that the local outfitting company carries them. Guess I will go there and try them out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (160user, 22kHornet, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,187
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.